CJ Fredrick

Perkins, Keegan and Kris Murray, Ulis, Ogundele, Sandfort, JoeT, Mulvey:

Of this group what are the odds of at least 2 of these guys transferring out? Granted this year was unique and you are not going to get this many guys in the portal on a regular basis, but the world you are yearning for is long gone.
I’m not yearning for anything. I’m giving an opinion that differs from yours. That’s all.

I wonder if CJ’s ol Uncle Joe would deny any tampering if questioned by the FBI?
Who knows? Maybe Fran IS the FBI.

All kidding aside, Iowa State once had a head coach who was a retired FBI agent. Former Kentucky assistant Lynn Nance. Jarred Uthoff's uncle Dean would have played for Nance. He was fired after the 1980 season, with little fanfare because it was buried in Lute's final four run, and was replaced by Johnny Orr.

ISU turned to Orr after some coach named Krzyzewski was offered the job and turned it down.

Perkins, Keegan and Kris Murray, Ulis, Ogundele, Sandfort, JoeT, Mulvey:

Of this group what are the odds of at least 2 of these guys transferring out? Granted this year was unique and you are not going to get this many guys in the portal on a regular basis, but the world you are yearning for is long gone.

A certain amount of transfers out is honestly normal and healthy. Nobody hits on 100% of their recruits. Too many becomes a huge problem very quick but I'll always expect 1 or 2 a season.

I wonder if CJ’s ol Uncle Joe would deny any tampering if questioned by the FBI?
If only.... I mean if all that tampering is done via proxy like that is that technically ok? I mean it's not a crime for an assistant UK coach to communicate on Caliparis behalf to Uncle Joe on CJs behalf is it? Granted if $ is changing hands that changes everything but if not how could they possibly police that?

That's how that crap is all initiated isn't it? It's not like Calipari is texting CJ directly. Maybe they do it via social media DMs some too. But to avoid wasting their own time I would bet it's all done via proxy until they know they have mutual interest.

This comment is concerning "I also was clear about concerns throughout the season."
Vague as hell... In regards to what? How his injuries were handled? Playing time? How he was being used? All of the above? How injuries are handled in this covid era I can see being a thing. You'd want good communication for sure going through all that. The rest of it would be tough to swallow. He started played big mins for the most part on a top 10 team all year.

Reactions: DJL
This comment is concerning "I also was clear about concerns throughout the season."
Look, if the guy didn't tweet "help is on the way" @ a Kentucky fan, and if Kentucky "insiders" weren't saying CJ will be in the portal, long before he actually was, everyone would be fine with him transferring. Disappointed, sure, but fine. Obviously he was running his mouth, and felt confident Kentucky would take him. Does it mean there was tampering beyond all doubt? No. But it's pretty darn shady and seem very likely. All he had to do is keep his mouth shut and this would be a non issue.

Vague as hell... In regards to what? How his injuries were handled? Playing time? How he was being used? All of the above? How injuries are handled in this covid era I can see being a thing. You'd want good communication for sure going through all that. The rest of it would be tough to swallow. He started played big mins for the most part on a top 10 team all year.
I could also see him being upset he got pulled a couple of times for lack of effort on the defensive end. I get he was hurt, but I was all for Fran getting angry and teaching them a lesson. If he didn't like it, play defense, or I guess go cry to your uncle.

I was mad when the Kentucky talk 1st started. I was disappointed and sad when CJ entered the portal. Now I’m over it. It’s become clear to me it’s good riddance. Whatever variables led to CJ leaving I’m now glad he’s gone. And the more this progresses I’m now convinced we’re better off without him.

What's done is done but thought a portion of this clip from his uncle was interesting...........

“I want to thank you (everyone) for texting regarding CJ entering the portal,” Fredrick said in a Facebook post. “I want you, my friends, to know (there) has been a lot said about many things but I want to clear up 100 percent no school ever tampered with CJ while he was at Iowa. I had clear communication with the staff at Iowa over rumors and how they were started. I also was clear about concerns throughout the season.

That last sentence would seem to indicate something brewing in the pot for awhile. Believe whatever side you choose but IF his uncle is truthful I would agree Iowa is being a bit childish with the Compliance Dept. statement. CJ may have been less than upfront with Fran about leaving but that in itself doesn't necessitate a statement from Compliance.

Wouldn't it be a kick if he announced someone other than KY now. IMHO "someone knew someone" as far as this all coming about. It would be easy to do. Time to move on and get busy being productive with some quality replacements.

I could also see him being upset he got pulled a couple of times for lack of effort on the defensive end. I get he was hurt, but I was all for Fran getting angry and teaching them a lesson. If he didn't like it, play defense, or I guess go cry to your uncle.
If he was mad about that sorta thing (early in the yr they did suck at that end of the court quite a bit) then he only needed to look in the mirror. He's normally a pretty good defender so I don't think he woulda been gotten onto all that hard about it.

It is too bad that Frans relationship with the uncle is in the toilet now. They've known each other a long long time. So there's something there there that we probably just don't know about and it was hinted at by Joe with his statement about having communicated grievences earlier in the year. Just wish that if you're going to play that card then show your hand.

Right. If you are going to shoot your mouth off, back it up with factual information. Too frequently, this stuff comes out like, "a lot of people have told me..." or "there are serious issues there" or "what if". His uncle is not someone I think I should admire.

I think coaching/being a player is always going to be challenging. The portal definitely gives more clout to players and likely will make HC's change their approach which is likely a good thing. As long as there is an offspring playing for dad, there will be issues arise, it's just human. Especially when oldest son has so many positive and negative attributes. Patrick is still unknown.

This is so Franesque. Such a great season. So many positives. So many weaknesses. Fran doesn't tend to operate more towards the middle but tends to operate on the edges.

Really, was anyone really surprised the BIG performed as they did when a very slow Iowa team did that well in the Big? When JT looked like he was on fast forward against Big teams is it surprising that the overall lack of quickness in the Big resulted in early outs.

In the end. Great season. Leaves a lot of questions. But since when (except the beginning of this season? is that different? Hawks have some talent. Have glaring weakness. Transition like crazy. Can't stop quick guards.

PM or CM entering the portal would be something different to ponder.

What's done is done but thought a portion of this clip from his uncle was interesting...........

“I want to thank you (everyone) for texting regarding CJ entering the portal,” Fredrick said in a Facebook post. “I want you, my friends, to know (there) has been a lot said about many things but I want to clear up 100 percent no school ever tampered with CJ while he was at Iowa. I had clear communication with the staff at Iowa over rumors and how they were started. I also was clear about concerns throughout the season.

That last sentence would seem to indicate something brewing in the pot for awhile. Believe whatever side you choose but IF his uncle is truthful I would agree Iowa is being a bit childish with the Compliance Dept. statement. CJ may have been less than upfront with Fran about leaving but that in itself doesn't necessitate a statement from Compliance.

Wouldn't it be a kick if he announced someone other than KY now. IMHO "someone knew someone" as far as this all coming about. It would be easy to do. Time to move on and get busy being productive with some quality replacements.
Those two bolded sentences to me indicate a meddling uncle that shouldn't be talking to Iowa staff in the first place. Why is a "kid's" uncle doing this communication and not the "kid"?

Those two bolded sentences to me indicate a meddling uncle that shouldn't be talking to Iowa staff in the first place. Why is a "kid's" uncle doing this communication and not the "kid"?
No doubt....

That's Frans beef and why the schools statement was as curse as it was. His communication with CJ lead him to think 5 days prior to him leaving was he was close to being good to go practicing 100%. With no transfering on the table. That's a hell of a left hand turn to get slapped in the face with. Considering the whole lotta nothing that's happened or changed in that time.

Clearly the kid was one foot out the door most of the season. Maybe he was looking ahead and realized with Garza, JW and JBo all most likely done he didn't want to be the leftover BMOC. He's not an alpha. He wouldn't have been able to carry next yrs team. He's a role player. A dang good one but that's what he is a 'dependent guard'. He needs other good players around him so his game can flourish.

Only thing left to find out is where does he end up and how do we use his open scholly