CJ Frederick

Why does Nunge get a "Get Out Of Jail Card"?

I realize he didn't go to a blue blood, but, besides his injury situation he was to come back and play a pretty big role at Iowa. Why did he leave?
As Duke stated, he lost his dad unexpectedly to a heart attack. Then the MCL injury happened. He really wanted to be closer to home.

I actually enjoy watching Xavier so it gives me another team to root for. Out of all the players we lost last year, not named Luka, he probably could have helped this team the most.

Why does Nunge get a "Get Out Of Jail Card"?

I realize he didn't go to a blue blood, but, besides his injury situation he was to come back and play a pretty big role at Iowa. Why did he leave?
You have 3 season ending injuries, it might be time for a new start. I give him 100% a pass. It didn’t work at Iowa and that’s not his fault and I don’t blame him one bit for wanting to be closer to home after his dad passed

Peyton is completely making me forget about CJ. He has a great floor game, can rebound, post players, drive to the hole, and already has a killer 3 point shot. He can have the minutes. AND for God's sake can Kris please get more playing time. Seeing Ash play more minutes than him is driving me crazy.
This ^

Kris is now the 2nd leading scorer on this team, and is the 9th in minutes played........further, if we expect Keegan will be double teamed, and he will be, wouldnt having his twin brother on the floor create some confusion, or at least open up more scoring options with the rest of the players? This is really kind of a unique situation in Iowa basketball and I am not sure that all the benefits are being explored. I strongly believe we have Keegan for this year only, if he continues to play at the level he is at present, it will be off to the NBA.

Peyton is completely making me forget about CJ. He has a great floor game, can rebound, post players, drive to the hole, and already has a killer 3 point shot. He can have the minutes. AND for God's sake can Kris please get more playing time. Seeing Ash play more minutes than him is driving me crazy.
Kris missed a game due to illness. Ash has only played mopup minutes. Kris will be 6-7th man in rotation soon.

So how come Ash is seeing minutes ahead of other players we're desperately trying to get ready to contribute. Perkins, Ulis, Sandfort, Kris, and even Joe all need the minutes. What's the deal with a guy who can only do one thing being on the floor except to bring in to try to break a hundred. Is Fran trying to justify his scholarship, cheerleading is great and all, but Ash would have a hard time playing for a D3 school. I not a hater but it just seems very odd. One thing I am going to give credit to Fran for this year is when JBo starts shot hunting or plays lazy D he is out. Fran benches him. Good for Fran. I disagree about mop up duty, he has been in the game on early rotations several times this year.

Last edited:
You have 3 season ending injuries, it might be time for a new start. I give him 100% a pass. It didn’t work at Iowa and that’s not his fault and I don’t blame him one bit for wanting to be closer to home after his dad passed
Nunge is a player I can't help but want to cheer for and wish him the very best in life. I hope he realizes all his dreams and looks back at his days at Iowa with joy. Losing a dad and even continuing to play ball with all the issues he has to deal with, being there for his mom and family, he's a good man.

As Duke stated, he lost his dad unexpectedly to a heart attack. Then the MCL injury happened. He really wanted to be closer to home.

I actually enjoy watching Xavier so it gives me another team to root for. Out of all the players we lost last year, not named Luka, he probably could have helped this team the most.
He had seven and five tonight in a forty point blowout but has put up some nice early numbers. He had a double double a few nights ago.

So how come Ash is seeing minutes ahead of other players we're desperately trying to get ready to contribute. Perkins, Ulis, Sandfort, Kris, and even Joe all need the minutes. What's the deal with a guy who can only do one thing being on the floor except to bring in to try to break a hundred. Is Fran trying to justify his scholarship, cheerleading is great and all, but Ash would have a hard time playing for a D3 school. I not a hater but it just seems very odd. One thing I am going to give credit to Fran for this year is when JBo starts shot hunting or plays lazy D he is out. Fran benches him. Good for Fran. I disagree about mop up duty, he has been in the game on early rotations several times this year.

...............because he can really hit em in practice, Josh Ogelsby style. The only difference is that Ogelsby could do it with a beer in his left hand.

My guess, anyway.

He had seven and five tonight in a forty point blowout but has put up some nice early numbers. He had a double double a few nights ago.
Yeah that 14-14 effort against OSU was huge.

I think he could play with Rebraca extremely well. Both seem like willing passers and would clean up in the paint. But we will never get to see it.

This ^

Kris is now the 2nd leading scorer on this team, and is the 9th in minutes played........further, if we expect Keegan will be double teamed, and he will be, wouldnt having his twin brother on the floor create some confusion, or at least open up more scoring options with the rest of the players? This is really kind of a unique situation in Iowa basketball and I am not sure that all the benefits are being explored. I strongly believe we have Keegan for this year only, if he continues to play at the level he is at present, it will be off to the NBA.
Have the Murray boys been on the floor at the same time this yr? Feels like Fran isn't playing them together on purpose. I'm with you I'd really like to see what kind of chemistry those two have together on the floor. They've only played together their whole lives so far....
Plus Kris looks legit he can shoot. I would love to see him out there when Patrick isn't and see what they can do.

Have the Murray boys been on the floor at the same time this yr? Feels like Fran isn't playing them together on purpose. I'm with you I'd really like to see what kind of chemistry those two have together on the floor. They've only played together their whole lives so far....
Plus Kris looks legit he can shoot. I would love to see him out there when Patrick isn't and see what they can do.
Plus Kris has size and an effortless jump, can't coach that.

This ^

The best thing is that they can switch jerseys

Opponents won't know who is whom until it is too late

This ^

Thankfully Kris got more time with Keegan yesterday. It was almost like Fran was reading our thread.... What a machine Keegan is. It'll be interesting once the competition gets tougher how well both he and the team does. Nobody expects this to continue. I can't see how it could. But if we surround him with shooters and ball handlers making it tough to double him who knows

I'm glad Frederick is gone, I'm loving this Sandfort kid and if you don't want to put on that Hawkeye jersey then give it to someone that does want it. Nunge is the one Iowa REALLY misses as he was being groomed to take Garza's spot but I completely understand him wanting to be closer to home. I hope he kicks ass with Xavier.

Payton Sandfort is a tough kid with a nice shot and you can see the confidence building every time he's on the court. I sure hope Iowa can get his brother, I hear he might be even better.

Payton Sandfort is a tough kid with a nice shot and you can see the confidence building every time he's on the court. I sure hope Iowa can get his brother, I hear he might be even better.
His release is super quick and he seems to be a good player all around as compared to some of the straight 3pt shooters Iowa has had the last decade.

I'm glad Frederick is gone, I'm loving this Sandfort kid and if you don't want to put on that Hawkeye jersey then give it to someone that does want it. Nunge is the one Iowa REALLY misses as he was being groomed to take Garza's spot but I completely understand him wanting to be closer to home. I hope he kicks ass with Xavier.

I can't believe how quickly Sandfort gets his shot off. Normally guys with his size take their time setting up for the shot but he always has his feet set when he catches the pass and doesn't think twice to hoist. Extremely impressed with him so far.

Tough as nails and ready to play

He is a Good One

I thought CJ was going to be an outstanding player. But he’s hurt…or thinks he’s hurt…more than he’s healthy. So his departure is not going to hurt us IMO. And I doubt he’s going to help Kentucky much.

Latest posts