Christopherson owns us

hawkIhoops

Not White, Babb, Allen, but freaking Christopherson. We can't guard him (again) and he gets to the rim at will. I am not sure what McCaffrey is coaching on defense, but it's not working. How many layups and dunks have we given up?

Last edited:
I struggle to understand how a player like Scott can get to the rim and finish but our guys Gatens and May who are more athletic but can't even get to the rim. If Scott is guarding May or Gatens, one of those two has to be able to take advantage. They are both taller and stronger. Yet neither could take advantage.

I struggle to understand how a player like Scott can get to the rim and finish but our guys Gatens and May who are more athletic but can't even get to the rim. If Scott is guarding May or Gatens, one of those two has to be able to take advantage. They are both taller and stronger. Yet neither could take advantage.

Christopherson is an average player but is much better than Gatens or May.

Christopherson is an average player but is much better than Gatens or May.

I disagree, while Scott is a good player he is not much better than the Iowa guys. The reason people get.to the rim on us is because we have no inside presence, whether it be a big guy or some athletic players that alter shots. Most teams that Iowa plays have this which is a big reason why Gatens, May and other hawks cannot get to and finish at the rim.

Excellent points. The only answer I can come up with is that he goes to the basket with a purpose--looking to score. Outside of Marble, we don't have anyone gets into the lane with a purpose.

I disagree, while Scott is a good player he is not much better than the Iowa guys. The reason people get.to the rim on us is because we have no inside presence, whether it be a big guy or some athletic players that alter shots. Most teams that Iowa plays have this which is a big reason why Gatens, May and other hawks cannot get to and finish at the rim.

The reason he was able to get all the way to the rim might be that but it has nothing to do with beating his man initially.

He gets around his guy with a shot fake and first step. It has zero to do with the bigs.

The reason he was able to get all the way to the rim might be that but it has nothing to do with beating his man initially. He gets around his guy with a shot fake and first step. It has zero to do with the bigs.
You are right he sure got around his guy tonight. I bet he doesnt do that much the rest of the year though.
I think the reason he was able to do so tonight is because of our pi$$ poor defense. They have to flash at shooters so hard because they have given up so many 3s already this year, that it is simple for someone like Scotty to throw up a shot fake and get around the off balance defender. The Hawks defense is simply awful, they switch when in man and get in bad one on one situations and then they cannot cover shooters while in zone. On top of that they do not rebound well either. Simply put the defense is what really really sucks. I think if they could defend at all they would actually be able to beat some decent teams.
Back to your point though, the reason players like Scotty can get by their guy against the Hawks is because the Hawks defense is fukn attrocious.

He has a good white man's rec league game.....shoot open jumpers to set up your drives and stop just short of where a shot blocker might be lurking. He knows how to finish once he gets in there and doesn't pick up silly charging fouls like we do.

The reason he was able to get all the way to the rim might be that but it has nothing to do with beating his man initially. He gets around his guy with a shot fake and first step. It has zero to do with the bigs.

Shot fake added to the fact we don't close out

Yep, and when we do it is wildly out of control.

1. poor perimeter foot speed.
2. poor rotation from players behind the defender who got beat.

Hell sometimes our bigs were so concerned with Royce White they did not even have their head turned to rotate over and stop the drive. They were so slow to react they basically had to let him shoot the ball for fear of fouling too late and picking up an intentional foul.

ISU actually had the floor spread pretty well the time Scotty was able to dribble drive so he had a lot of space.

Yep, and when we do it is wildly out of control.

Closing out is being in control. Maybe I am just old.

Latest posts