Christian Ballard

WinOneThisCentury

Anyone else think this guy is being overlooked a bit in all the preseason hype surrounding Clayborn and Klug. I honestly feel he has the size (305) and athletic ability to be the best player on that defensive line. I think he can be a wrecking ball inside and with a year of experience at the position, I think this guy is going to take a huge step this year.

He may suffer as teams may have to think about doubling him, which could allow Klug to shine even more.

I don't think Iowa has ever had a year where offensive lines are going to have to contend with four guys that have the potential to beat you on EVERY play. I'm hoping we have a lot of games like the Penn State game where the guys were meeting for tea in Darryl Clark's grill every play.

The amount QB pressure determines if defenses go from good to great...the 2010 defensive team has the potential IMO, to clearly define themselves as the best defensive football team in Iowa history.

I don't think he's necessarily being overlooked... the other guys deserve the hype. Clayborn has shown he's one of the best DE's in the country and Klug has earned rare praise from Ferentz. The fact that many consider Iowa's d-line unit as a whole to be one of the best in the country says enough about him.

His previous numbers haven't been flashy like Clayborn but he's experienced and dependable. I'm interested to see how he performs at 305 and how the extra weight will dictate his play. I agree with you tho, if he continues to improve and handles that weight well he could end up being a special player. Clayborn is going to be getting a lot of double teams so I'd be surprised if his production will increase much. I'm sure he'll still be a force, but those double teams will give the other guys more opportunities to make plays. I can't wait to see how our D-line comes out against Eastern Illinois. I have a feeling they will be racking up the sacks in that one...

Ballard is a BEAST...Honestly one of the most physically imposing players I have seen on the team...

Ballard is a BEAST...Honestly one of the most physically imposing players I have seen on the team...

I agree with you. I enjoyed watching him develop last year. He was getting a lot of double teams which helped Klug. He gives great effort and works well with the other three. I see all four of these guys in the NFL.

Not everyone can be a consensus preseason 1st ALL Big Ten DE... most likely an ALL-American. (AC)

Not everyone can be an Outland Trophy candidate. (KK)

Not everyone can lead the Hawkeyes with nine pass break-ups and have 10 tackles for loss and six QB sacks . . after being named Big Ten Conference All-Freshman defensive end... (BB)

Not everyone can be Christian Ballard. CB is not being overlooked... it is simply no one is willing to consider another Iowa Defensive Lineman good enough for First Team all Big Ten and potentional All American and still probably the BEST DEFENSIVE LINE PRO prospect any newspaper, any blog, any reporter wants to imagine.... because they already have three others taking up too much space, too many blockers, making too many tackles, too many sacks, too many pass break-ups and too many stops.

CB... Stay focused, stay healthy and you shall reap what you sow.

Ballard will go higher in the NFL draft, and I think Ballard is more of a threat to defenses than Klug. Both are threats though, but I think Ballard is not getting enough hype.

After watching the Arizona and Michigan State games again and especially around the goal line, Ballard was just blowing up the man assigned to block him and he made the plays possible to keep these guys out of the end zone.

I'm glad there are some people seeing what I'm seeing here. This guys is a specimen. He's got a freaking combination of size and speed for someone 305 pounds. Another year with Doyle, another spring and fall camp, this guy is going to need to be game planned if you are going to be successful against Iowa.

I'm not saying Suh type of dominance, but he has the chance to be special.

Like I said in the opening of this thread, I think this team has the ability to be the best defense in Iowa history. I'm just thinking it's going to be hard for teams to sustain drives against a d-line like this.

I think that he will be better than Colin Cole, which in a normal year would get him a ton of pub, but as defensive lines go, this is far from a normal year.

I don't think he's necessarily being overlooked... the other guys deserve the hype. Clayborn has shown he's one of the best DE's in the country and Klug has earned rare praise from Ferentz. The fact that many consider Iowa's d-line unit as a whole to be one of the best in the country says enough about him.

His previous numbers haven't been flashy like Clayborn but he's experienced and dependable. I'm interested to see how he performs at 305 and how the extra weight will dictate his play. I agree with you tho, if he continues to improve and handles that weight well he could end up being a special player. Clayborn is going to be getting a lot of double teams so I'd be surprised if his production will increase much. I'm sure he'll still be a force, but those double teams will give the other guys more opportunities to make plays. I can't wait to see how our D-line comes out against Eastern Illinois. I have a feeling they will be racking up the sacks in that one...

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that where Jake C. is playin QB now. All the more reason for Hawk fans to wanna see a ton of sacks that game.:D

[/B]
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that where Jake C. is playin QB now. All the more reason for Hawk fans to wanna see a ton of sacks that game.:D

Yes that is where he played, but his eligibilty is done. Next step, NFL training camps. ;)

I would agree with those who think Ballard is going to be a force this year. This D-line could start as is for almost any team in the big 10 and if they stay healthy could be the best in the country. Their is no unit on this years team that I am more excited about and they will be leaned upon give the Hawks a great shot at winning every game they play.

I don't think Iowa has ever had a year where offensive lines are going to have to contend with four guys that have the potential to beat you on EVERY play.
Some of the older guys can think of a few more before my time i'm sure, but I would argue that the Roth, Babineaux, Luebke, Robinson d line would qualify. All 4 had NFL opportunities, although Luebke decided not to beat up his body. I know this conversation has been on about 9 threads, but I just found this comment a bit over stated.
Recall the last 2 games of that regular season. ~4 td victories over Wiscy and tOSU and if you watch those games it was largely because of that line's dominance.

Some of the older guys can think of a few more before my time i'm sure, but I would argue that the Roth, Babineaux, Luebke, Robinson d line would qualify. All 4 had NFL opportunities, although Luebke decided not to beat up his body. I know this conversation has been on about 9 threads, but I just found this comment a bit over stated.
Recall the last 2 games of that regular season. ~4 td victories over Wiscy and tOSU and if you watch those games it was largely because of that line's dominance.

That line was pretty good. I mean Babs was a straight animal, but i think that this Dline in 2010 is loaded with pure rotten dirty nasty animals who will eat their opponents children alive.

After watching the Arizona and Michigan State games again and especially around the goal line, Ballard was just blowing up the man assigned to block him and he made the plays possible to keep these guys out of the end zone.

I'm glad there are some people seeing what I'm seeing here. This guys is a specimen. He's got a freaking combination of size and speed for someone 305 pounds. Another year with Doyle, another spring and fall camp, this guy is going to need to be game planned if you are going to be successful against Iowa.

I'm not saying Suh type of dominance, but he has the chance to be special.

Like I said in the opening of this thread, I think this team has the ability to be the best defense in Iowa history. I'm just thinking it's going to be hard for teams to sustain drives against a d-line like this.

What was sick is that Ballard really started coming into his own at DT just in the latter third of the season. He not only continued to improve in taking care of his gap responsibilities but he then stepped it up and started becoming increasingly disruptive. I really think that the move of Ballard to the DT was pure genius.

What is really funny in my mind is that Klug is still the crazy high-motor guy and is super-disruptive. You combine Klug, Ballard, and Clayborn and you're then looking at an exceptionally formidable trio. Furthermore, Binns flashed some brilliance and great quickness ... especially in the Iowa State and Penn State games. As Binns gets stronger and continues to refine his technique ... he'll prove to be every bit as good as the other three too.

I'm particularly excited by the fact that very positive things have already been said about the physical development of Klug and Binns since the Orange Bowl. Both guys had more room to grow and their continued development will only make the DL that much more formidable.

Lastly, I don't think that we should forget about Daniels and the other guys who will push to spell the starters. Daniels plays very low and is a really explosive guy. I really anticipate that we'll be seeing more of Daniels ... and that's a VERY positive thing! Also, we're going to have other guys who are itchin' to contribute and push for playing time too. Daniel is going to be really hungry and want to make a mark in order to solidify his positioning for a starting gig for the '11 season. Alvis is another high-motor guy with great athleticism who will be pushing to contribute. Heck, Carl Davis could very well push to contribute early too if some of the other candidates don't heal up and/or continue to make positive developmental strides.

I'm excited ... very, VERY excited!

That line was pretty good. I mean Babs was a straight animal, but i think that this Dline in 2010 is loaded with pure rotten dirty nasty animals who will eat their opponents children alive.

Babs and Roth were the premier players on the '04 squad. DRob was solid but not competitive for being a historical Hawkeye best at his given position.

I genuinely believe that EACH of the current 4 starters on the 2010 DL are competitive to be among the top talents at their respective spots when compared to other Hawkeye greats (at least under Ferentz).

Babs was impressive even in his debut at DE in '02 ... however, it really wasn't until his SR season when he completely blew up. Clayborn blew up in as a JR ... and I really anticipate that Ballard and/or Binns could potentially blow up in '10. Klug's first season at DT as a JR was every bit as impressive as the JR campaigns of Babs or King.

I think a lot of that beatdown of OSU had to with OSU just not being a very good team in 2004. They finished something like 5-3 in conference, and lost to an SEC team in their bowl game.

What was sick is that Ballard really started coming into his own at DT just in the latter third of the season. He not only continued to improve in taking care of his gap responsibilities but he then stepped it up and started becoming increasingly disruptive. I really think that the move of Ballard to the DT was pure genius.

What is really funny in my mind is that Klug is still the crazy high-motor guy and is super-disruptive. You combine Klug, Ballard, and Clayborn and you're then looking at an exceptionally formidable trio. Furthermore, Binns flashed some brilliance and great quickness ... especially in the Iowa State and Penn State games. As Binns gets stronger and continues to refine his technique ... he'll prove to be every bit as good as the other three too.

I'm particularly excited by the fact that very positive things have already been said about the physical development of Klug and Binns since the Orange Bowl. Both guys had more room to grow and their continued development will only make the DL that much more formidable.

Lastly, I don't think that we should forget about Daniels and the other guys who will push to spell the starters. Daniels plays very low and is a really explosive guy. I really anticipate that we'll be seeing more of Daniels ... and that's a VERY positive thing! Also, we're going to have other guys who are itchin' to contribute and push for playing time too. Daniel is going to be really hungry and want to make a mark in order to solidify his positioning for a starting gig for the '11 season. Alvis is another high-motor guy with great athleticism who will be pushing to contribute. Heck, Carl Davis could very well push to contribute early too if some of the other candidates don't heal up and/or continue to make positive developmental strides.

I'm excited ... very, VERY excited!

I completely agree with you Homer. Daniels is a special player. This guy had limited snaps last year and he made plays almost every time he was in there. I would love to see Norm giving him more reps and keeping Ballard and Klug fresher for the fourth quarter. I think this guy has a huge upside and I don't think you can keep him off the field...you have to give him more reps. It obviously depends on how the game is going, but I think it would be a good thing to give him some more time, especially in the first half.

I know people are predicting doom and gloom in 2011 with the loss of the Holy Trinity of Clayborn, Ballard, and Klug, but there are some very good football players developing in the wings. Guys that are going to surprise some people. KF wouldn't say he considers Daniels the fifth starter if he didn't think he was very special.

You have good reason to be excited Homer...we have reached a very interesting stage in the Iowa Football program and one I don't think I've seen before in my years following the program. We are close to the "reloading" of football talent without the performance drop as per previous years. Think about it, Stanzi leaves, Vandenburg is going to be ready to play at a high level. Two high draft picks leave in the linebacking core, and we are replacing them with guys that I believe are ready to play. A lock down corner leaves and you have 3-4 guys that are battling for that spot and have talent.

How good do you think the o-line is going to be in 2011, 2012? And I'm one of the people who thinks they are going to surprise people in 2010. I normally don't have rose colored glasses, but damn I'm seeing red everywhere.

It's a great time to be a Hawkeye Football fan....thanks KF and staff.

I agree that Ballard stands to be a phenomenal DT...and I think that for the program that was absolutely the right move. I still can't help but wonder what he'd be doing had he stayed at DE.

Latest posts