Christian Ballard

I agree that Ballard stands to be a phenomenal DT...and I think that for the program that was absolutely the right move. I still can't help but wonder what he'd be doing had he stayed at DE.

Taking PT away from Binns. I think this will work out the absolute best for all parties.

Taking PT away from Binns. I think this will work out the absolute best for all parties.

I agree that it was the best move for the team and the program and all of that...but I think that Ballard had the potential of being Claybornesque at the DE position.

The physical tools were...and still are...there and he obviously has what it takes to battle in the trenches of the Big Ten. Clayborn may have had a step on him even when Ballard was slimmed down...but it wasn't by much.

I agree that it was the best move for the team and the program and all of that...but I think that Ballard had the potential of being Claybornesque at the DE position.

The physical tools were...and still are...there and he obviously has what it takes to battle in the trenches of the Big Ten. Clayborn may have had a step on him even when Ballard was slimmed down...but it wasn't by much.

Maybe you are right, but I think he has a long career ahead of him in the middle (barring injury of course).

I agree that Ballard stands to be a phenomenal DT...and I think that for the program that was absolutely the right move. I still can't help but wonder what he'd be doing had he stayed at DE.

The bigger issue is how well would have our LBs have fared with 2 undersized first year starters holding down the fort at DT. As it was, our run D took a few steps backward in our transition of juggling guys on the DL. Lest you forget, if you count Ballard's position change, we had 3 first year starters on the DL in '09. I was relieved that we had Ballard starting at DT ahead of Daniels. Mind you, the intention there isn't to take anything away from Daniels ... my only issue is that Ballard was far more battle-tested than Daniels AND he also had a better body for the DT spot too.

People might like to knock Binns at the DE spot ... however, you'd have to pick your preferred scenario ... Binns at DE with Ballard at DT or Ballard at DE with Daniels at DT. I'd personally opt for the former rather than the latter. Ballard would have been able to set the edge better at DE ... however, it would have likely come at the expense of our LBs having to work in more traffic.

I believe that Ballard's performance at DT this year will obviously be the ultimate measure of how effective/brilliant his move to DT was/is...along with how well Binns progresses.
Binns adds a slightly different wrinkle at DE with his ability to knock down passes. Just wait, this year he will force 1 or 2 INTs from his batted passes (either for himself or a LB). Knocked down passes at the DL really affect a QBs confidence in throwing the out pattern and can affect the timing.

One thing to remember is that Wiscy had their way with us on the line in the first half last year. Granted I think their was some Flu going around. I think Ballard's dominance is crucial to not allowing that to happen again.

It looks like Mike Daniels may get some more playing time early in the season. I could see him or Ballard moving outside for the first few games with the Binns situation.

I guess you get guys more experience any way you can. I really thought with the Jewel / Jordan thing, these guys would have got the message. I guess not.

I think Ballard gave up his position on the end specifically to make the team better and get Binns on the field. The coaches did not ask him to move inside, he volunteered to get the best team possible on the field.

Latest posts