Chris Ash fired

Rutgers needs like a 10 year plan and commtment to a coach to get the program right.

How would you like to resurrect a program competeing against OSU, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St just in the B1G East? Imposssible without a long term commitment.

Schiano was successful at Rutgers when it was in the Big East. There is no guarantee he is the magic elixir at this time.

It will be interesting to see who they hire.

And, too bad for Chris Ash. He'll be OK and resurface somewhere.

I think that to be successful in the B1G, you probably either need to have played in or or coached in the B1G or the SEC with some combination of at least 5 years of experience. The B1G and the SEC come down to trench warfare (although the SEC has added an element of skill guys on the outside the likes of which no one in the B1G other than OSU ever gets). The SEC typically has better d-line play and the B1G typically has better o-line play. But at the end of the day, if you try to get cute with your offense or run some newfangled "speed" defense without adequate bodies near the line you are gonna get eaten alive in conference play. It is a totally different brand of ball than most of the ACC (save for Clemson who can dominate the trenches), the Big 8, the Big East or the Pac 10.

You look at the resume of guys who can punch above their program's weight in the Big Ten and it is guys like Ferentz (8 years as OL coach in B1G), Dantonio (10 years of assistant stints at OSU, Purdue and MSU), Chryst (QB at Wisconsin and 8 years as a position coach and coordinator in Madison), and Fitz (star LB and 5 years as a position coach at NU before taking head job). Even Bo Pelini, Nebraska's best coach in their Big Ten tenure, played at OSU and started as a GA at Iowa. A lot of times when programs try to bring in some high flyer from outside of the Big Ten, they just don't work out. Franklin and Meyer both came from the SEC and have been good, but guys like Rich Rod, Riley, probably Frost, etc. have tripped over their own dicks when they got into the B1G.

Ash was the D Coordinator at OSU I think it was before taking the Rutgers job. But, he didn't have the 5 years experience as suggested. But he was the hot commodity at the time.

It's almost impossible to go into a program like Rutgers and recruit the type of talent you need as a quick fix.

Jay Nieman just beat Ash out the door with 20/20 hindsight.

Ash was a dead man walking. It was just a matter of would he make it through the year or not. If Schiano in deed wants it it's his. They aren't getting anybody 'better' for it.

So when this happens, does the new coach generally come in and clean house? I only ask because I have a friend who's a position coach there. Was just curious if he was going to have a job next season or not...

Urban Meyer isn’t going nowhere unless he returns to Utah or USC. Other possible destinations would be Florida St., Miami, or a possible return to Florida. I think he would like to win another National Championship in at least one more conference not the Big Ten or SEC.

Rutgers has the worst stadium in America. I attended the Hawk game a few years ago. I can’t imagine a recruit not thinking what I was thinking...that it is a dump.

Rutgers will only attract coaches that need a head coaching job...like Schiano.

Seemed like a heck of a nice guy and being from Iowa ya gotta like him. Feel bad for him but the upside he is set for life if he never works another day. So whatever he does from here on out can just be for shits and giggles with money not factoring in and a whole lot less stress. He may be making more than the head coach if he takes another assistant gig. Or he could just buy a lake resort, kick back and fish like Criner the whiner from ISU did when he got canned.

Buttgers has to pay a cool $9 million to buy out the Ashter.

I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Rutgers has the worst stadium in America. I attended the Hawk game a few years ago. I can’t imagine a recruit not thinking what I was thinking...that it is a dump.

Rutgers will only attract coaches that need a head coaching job...like Schiano.
I went there for the 2016 game....was like 100 degrees.

Stadium was OK. Small...holds like 50K, similar to Northwestern. It was clean and transportation around the area moved in and out fairly well. Nothing stood out but I don't consider it a dump like I do oh say Illinois or the Citrus bowl in Orlando.

What was weird was there was zero connection to the B1G from any of the home crowd. None. They had no idea who the Iowa coach was, where IC was, etc. We could have been from Alaska for all they knew. Plenty of Iowa fans there, not from the midwest, but from the east coast.

Iowa escaped 14-7 because their WR got hurt or else we might have ended up a two-fer after losing the week before to the mighty Bison.

Urban would only want an all win scenario and that's not Rutgers.

Rutgers still isn't getting the full B1G money allotment it will be in just a few years. It's pro rated and increases in percentage each year and after 7 years they, and Maryland, will get a full 100% share of B1G money. That means then they will be getting what, $50-$75 Million a year by then. What will they do with that kind of money coming in? Lots

I went there for the 2016 game....was like 100 degrees.

Stadium was OK. Small...holds like 50K, similar to Northwestern. It was clean and transportation around the area moved in and out fairly well. Nothing stood out but I don't consider it a dump like I do oh say Illinois or the Citrus bowl in Orlando.

What was weird was there was zero connection to the B1G from any of the home crowd. None. They had no idea who the Iowa coach was, where IC was, etc. We could have been from Alaska for all they knew. Plenty of Iowa fans there, not from the midwest, but from the east coast.

Iowa escaped 14-7 because their WR got hurt or else we might have ended up a two-fer after losing the week before to the mighty Bison.

Citrus Bowl is now Camoing Workd Stadium and has been totally rehabbed. And Florida Citrus Sports is teaming with area businesses, non-profits, etc., in a holistic community rehab around the stadium.

Do you guys remember back when Universities would list Head Coach positions on their websites and any dumbass could apply by sending in a resume and completing an application. I am thinking of applying for the job of Head Football Coach at Rutgers University. I already have a powerpoint presentation about "Serving Up Paincakes for Breakfast" and it has an image of a pancake with the work "PAIN!" written on it. Its basically what got Ferentz the job here back in the day.

Latest posts