Chill Out about KF!

HawkI4eva

The fire KF threads are getting a bit out of hand. I understand the dissappointment, I really do, but get ahold of yourselves and think. My thing is recruiting would take a huge hit if he was fired. Most recruits talk about the longevity of the coaching staff and the stability as a reason for being a Hawkeye. Most recruits hear nothing but praise from the likes of Bill Parcells, Kirk Herbstreit and so many more. The backlash we would endure if we did fire him would absolutely kill our recruiting for decent period of time. For those of you who had unrealistic expectations, I'm sorry, but you do understand that we lost 12 players to the nfl in one way shape or form. Thats not counting the others that didnt make a roster or went to the CFL. We are rebuilding, losing that many players makes it tough for any program to RELOAD. Im just sayin. Are there things I hate about KF? Yes, but at the same time, when things are going good, those are the same things that I love about him. Im not OK with mediocrity and I do think some things need to change, but also Im not sitting in there at their meetings and Im not a player, and I'm not close the inner circle of this team, so what do I know.

Believe me, I have been very, very critical of the coaching staff. But, at this point, I think it is very much overboard for people to be calling for KF to be fired. As of right now it definitely is not warranted. If Iowa loses out (or maybe wins one more) does he get fired? No way. I do think a collapse at the end of the year will really put some pressure on him though.

The one thing I will say is that KF needs to make some tough decisions this off-season:

1. DC - I truly believe Norm needs to hang it up (tough for me to say that too). His schemes are not working against the more complex offenses that have consumed college football. Iowa simply gets butchered by mobile QB that can throw it with any type of average accuracy. What is the trend in college football? Mobile QB that can at least be a threat from the air. If Norm doesn't step down does KF pull the trigger?

2. Coaching staff - there are some glaring weaknesses on the staff IMO. First, since Kaz has taken over the DL they have not been as good, nor have they improved throughout the year as they did in the past. That is one example - but IMO a big one. Every effective defense begins up front. Special teams have cost Iowa games in the past few years - in KF glory days special teams won games for Iowa. I think some shake-up on the staff is needed. Again, will he pull the trigger?

3. Conservative approach - Can Iowa continue to play with such a conservative approach with the landscape of college football changing as it is? Can Iowa continue to be so inept when it comes to clock management. I believe 6-16 since 2006 in games decided by 3 or less? Big, big issue that is a glaring COACHING weakness.

I am one that is calling for CHANGE in this program. I understand stability is an asset, but at the same time there is not emotion on the sideline or with the coaching staff. Minny is a botttom feeder and there level of emotion was 5 times an Iowa team that was potentially playing for a division title. This program is stale, plain and simple.

Change yes! KF fired I don't believe is the answer. However, if he doesn't take a hard look at this program and address some glaring issues and make changes I will change my mind (I know my opinion is not important iin the whole scheme of things).

I am tired of the players to the NFL talk, KF has taken Iowa to new levels talk, etc. Iowa is mediocre right now - should not be acceptable. Iowa can be an above average program that does not lose games because of conservatism and complacency.

It is tough for me to point the finger at a position coach. However, last years' DL boasted two current NFL starters, and they were generally ineffective and as a whole regressed. The DL this year is very, very inexperienced and undersized - I get that. However, Iowa's DL has been inexperienced and undersized before and still continued to improve and be a very good unit.

I think the scheme itself hurts the DL. They are continually expected to rush 4 against 5-6 and get to the QB. They are very rarely benefited from a blitz to take some of the pressure of them. However, the schemes have been in place for quite some time, and other DLs have been dominant. Is it the position coach? Is it the scheme is not effective with the changing BIG offenses? Hard to say.

It is tough for me to point the finger at a position coach. However, last years' DL boasted two current NFL starters, and they were generally ineffective and as a whole regressed. The DL this year is very, very inexperienced and undersized - I get that. However, Iowa's DL has been inexperienced and undersized before and still continued to improve and be a very good unit.

I think the scheme itself hurts the DL. They are continually expected to rush 4 against 5-6 and get to the QB. They are very rarely benefited from a blitz to take some of the pressure of them. However, the schemes have been in place for quite some time, and other DLs have been dominant. Is it the position coach? Is it the scheme is not effective with the changing BIG offenses? Hard to say.

Very true. Continually only rushing four with help of a blitze or two every couple series really wears those guys out. good point

When there is a lack of fire and passion, which seems to me is one of the problems recently, that's on the head coach. It's his job to get his guys ready to play the game.

i think our guys play very very hard...maybe they dont throat slash after every play, but, i'll take that as a plus too...

Although the whole NFL thing has been somewhat of overkill on the boards - I think there is something to it affecting the Iowa program. KF is an NFL guy - spent many of his coaching years in the NFL - very respected in NFL community - most of his supposed mentors are NFL guys. I respect that and admire that. He knows how to get guys in the NFL.

I sometimes think his NFL influence has a negative affect on the energy in the program. I have heard recruits say that Iowa is very business-like in there approach to everything - to some that's good and some it's not. I think the lack of fire some times can be attributed to the "stoic" approach of KF and ultimately the program. NFL games lack emotion - those guys are professional and show up to simply do their jobs.

I remember Trev Alberts (I know, not a great example) talking about his "brief" stint in the NFL. He was telling the story of his first game. The defense takes the field and he is jumping up and down - doing many of the things he did to create enthusiasm for his defense at Nebraska. One of the veterans turned to him and said "shut up rookie". Maybe not a great example, but I think it shows the overall mentality of guys in the NFL - it's a job plain and simple.

The never too high - never too low approach can be good. But, these are college guys as young as 17 and I think they should be allowed to play with more emotion. When it becomes a job I think it takes emotion away from players.

I am not saying they aren't "allowed", but I think the approach of the program sometimes hurts the energy.

Last edited:
The fire KF threads are getting a bit out of hand. I understand the dissappointment, I really do, but get ahold of yourselves and think. My thing is recruiting would take a huge hit if he was fired. Most recruits talk about the longevity of the coaching staff and the stability as a reason for being a Hawkeye. Most recruits hear nothing but praise from the likes of Bill Parcells, Kirk Herbstreit and so many more. The backlash we would endure if we did fire him would absolutely kill our recruiting for decent period of time. For those of you who had unrealistic expectations, I'm sorry, but you do understand that we lost 12 players to the nfl in one way shape or form. Thats not counting the others that didnt make a roster or went to the CFL. We are rebuilding, losing that many players makes it tough for any program to RELOAD. Im just sayin. Are there things I hate about KF? Yes, but at the same time, when things are going good, those are the same things that I love about him. Im not OK with mediocrity and I do think some things need to change, but also Im not sitting in there at their meetings and Im not a player, and I'm not close the inner circle of this team, so what do I know.

This program has been on auto pilot for far too long. KF deserves the opportunity to work through this, but NOT with the same staff, same blueprint, etc. It's not working and if you take away lucky wins the past couple season against UNI, Indiana, Pitt, Missouri where we got outcoached and outplayed, things would be worse. He isn't putting the best product on the field IMO with his current staff and that is not fair to players or fans.

This program has been on auto pilot for far too long. KF deserves the opportunity to work through this, but NOT with the same staff, same blueprint, etc. It's not working and if you take away lucky wins the past couple season against UNI, Indiana, Pitt, Missouri where we got outcoached and outplayed, things would be worse. He isn't putting the best product on the field IMO with his current staff and that is not fair to players or fans.

Define "auto pilot" and "far too long", first of all, and secondly, who cares if wins are "lucky"?

Were you upset when we had to beat MSU on the last play in 2009? There was certainly a bit of "luck" in that game. And we should probably not count the Missouri game, given that it was pure "luck" that Hyde was where Gabbert threw the ball.

Kind of hard to call Pitt "lucky" since we held their leading rusher well under his average and "adapted" to the no-huddle to score 21 points in the fourth quarter.

There have certainly been some wins that could be considered "lucky" and some losses that could be considered "bad luck." I truly believe part of the problem is the schemes Iowa plays that lead to such conservative play. Iowa, because of the schemes IMO, has very little room for error week in and week out. It keeps Iowa in games against very good teams, but at the same time keeps lesser teams in games - like last week.

Iowa is 6-16 in games decided by 3 points or less since 06. Two of those 6 wins were UNI and Arkansas State. This is definitely an issue considering Iowa typically plays in close games due to a small margin for error.

I guess the bottom line is that right now it is over the top to call for KF to be fired. The expectation at Iowa is very high, mainly because of what he has accomplished. However, he shouldn't get a pass forever because of what he has done. Part of coaching is developing and maintaining the program. The maintaining part as been inconsistent certainly. If he goes through another off-season without making changes to the staff he will put himself in a position to really be at-risk in terms of job security.

No need to even dream about him getting fired because he is untouchable and he knows it. As far as it hurting our recruiting, its already hurting by keeping coordinators that no one wants so damage done. Let's just enjoy our mediocrity and have another drink.

Sorry so down right now but I really don't see us getting out of this hole. To me we already squeezed the juice out of those old coordinators and they don't have much more to give....especially in recruiting.

Latest posts