Chicago Sun Times writer Seth Gruen may need to be tested for workplace drug use....

Re: Chicago Sun Times writer Seth Gruen may need to be tested for workplace drug use.

Someone convince me that he was ranking these teams in the order in which he thought they would finish in the division. I thought he was simply providing an overview of the conference and a brief summary of the teams in it. Even if his intention wasn't to predict the outcome of the division, it's still poor journalism to use a "1-7" format to structure his article and leave it up to interpretation.

$.02

Upon further review, even though the article does not come out and say "Here are my rankings in order." I stand by my comments. He showers praise on the top 5 which can be construed as Here are my rankings in order.

Re: Chicago Sun Times writer Seth Gruen may need to be tested for workplace drug use.

" 6. IowaA fresh-faced defense might have trouble as Big Ten offenses get more dynamic. The Hawkeyes have only five starters returning and none at linebacker.The winning formula: Put up points. But that might be tough for an offense that was inconsistent last season. "
Not sure how Northwestern and Illinois jump from one win seasons 3rd and 5th in the West. ?

Picking Northwestern to finish ahead of Iowa isn't outrageous. It could happen if the Wildcats stay healthy (including Venric Mark available for all B1G games). Northwestern's schedule doesn't include OSU or MSU (just like Iowa). If Northwestern wins at Iowa City, I could envision them finishing ahead of Iowa.

But picking Illinois to finish above anyone but Purdue is just trolling. Illini play road games @OSU, @Nebraska, @Wisconsin and @Northwestern. I would put OSU, Neb, Wisky in the almost unwinnable category for Illinois. They would basically need to win 3 or 4 of their home games (Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue) to finish 5th. Any single one of those games is winnable for Illinois, but I have a tough time seeing how they win more than a couple. Citing a JUCO DE as the savior for a defense is laughable. Illinois was 106th in points allowed last year (35 points a game).

I emailed his bosses to either change the rankings or get rid of the hack writer.

Chris De Luca Deputy managing editor -News/Sports(312) 321-3000
cdeluca@suntimes.com
Jim KirkPublisher/Editor in chief(312) 321-2577
jkirk@suntimes.com

6a00d8341c652b53ef0133f4d7c234970b-800wi

If Iowa finishes below Illinois I will eat my shoe.

Lolololololol. Although we replace a few faces in the back 7 our d-line is almost all back which is the key to our scheme.

A few faces in the back seven? I count five with little depth behind them. A redshirt frosh walk on backs Lowdermilk. And the writers' skepticism on Iowa's offense is spot on.

Given the current economic state of the newspaper business, I would suspect the job of sports reporter for the Sun Times pays slightly less than Guatemalan day laborer, so the guy is prolly suffering from malnutrition.

My sister in law worked (past tense of course) in the advertising department for one of the Sun-Times properties. It is a comedy of errors.

He's from Illinois and picks Northwestern and Illinois over the hated Hawkeyes. Not exactly a shocker.

Good grief. He thinks that the Hawkeye’s are going to absolutely tank because their defensive back seven is inexperienced and lacks depth. What’s the history on that?

Here are the years the Hawkeye’s had similar turnover in the defensive back seven.
[FONT=&amp]2006 [/FONT]6-7
[FONT=&amp]2008[/FONT] 9-4
[FONT=&amp]2010[/FONT] 8-5
[FONT=&amp]2011[/FONT] 7-6

None of those years did the Hawkeye’s truly tank. Only one, 2008 was anything special though. Two of those years 2006 & 2010 the back seven were truly decimated in the second half of the season. 2010 had the advantage of an experienced offense with a senior quarterback, but the defense got mired by injuries late in the season. 2006 should have been similar on the offensive side but Stanzi went into the season injured and the receivers were about as thin as it’s ever been. Similarly that year slipped away as injuries mounted. Both 2008 & 2011 featured new quarterbacks.

There is no real trend here that would make one believe that Iowa will tank this year. You might be guarded about expecting a really good season, but a disaster shouldn’t be expected either.

These threads are always fun to read. Someone in the media picks Iowa to struggle this season and posters come out blasting away. Yet the same posters upset now will be out in full force with their internet pitch forks when Iowa loses a game.

That is quite frankly one of the lamest things I've ever heard. 1st Amendment, anyone?

Anyhow, here is a radio interview with the writer if anyone is interested.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=111&c=981&f=3198053

Don't worry. He's a troll.

At least we know the reporter was actually ranking the teams. He truly believes because 'teams are using more spread offenses' that Iowa will struggle. That's...something I guess.

Picking Northwestern to finish ahead of Iowa isn't outrageous. It could happen if the Wildcats stay healthy (including Venric Mark available for all B1G games). Northwestern's schedule doesn't include OSU or MSU (just like Iowa). If Northwestern wins at Iowa City, I could envision them finishing ahead of Iowa.

But picking Illinois to finish above anyone but Purdue is just trolling. Illini play road games @OSU, @Nebraska, @Wisconsin and @Northwestern. I would put OSU, Neb, Wisky in the almost unwinnable category for Illinois. They would basically need to win 3 or 4 of their home games (Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Purdue) to finish 5th. Any single one of those games is winnable for Illinois, but I have a tough time seeing how they win more than a couple. Citing a JUCO DE as the savior for a defense is laughable. Illinois was 106th in points allowed last year (35 points a game).

welp ... guess we can close the book on that one.

Listened to the interview. Clearly, he feels that college football is passing by KF with the spread. Not enough explosive offensive players to win with the downhill attack, unlike Wis, I guess. Or Minny. Then he says that every year, someone implodes, like his pick last year to win the division,NW. Maybe he knows something KF and Iowa fans do not.....but I doubt it.

Listened to the interview. Clearly, he feels that college football is passing by KF with the spread. Not enough explosive offensive players to win with the downhill attack, unlike Wis, I guess. Or Minny. Then he says that every year, someone implodes, like his pick last year to win the division,NW. Maybe he knows something KF and Iowa fans do not.....but I doubt it.

I listened to it too, I didn't even here him talk about Iowa.

I listened to it too, I didn't even here him talk about Iowa.

You must not have listened to the entire interview, because Iowa was the first topic they covered.

Ferentz prolly paid this guy off to write this dreck so his players don't get all fat catty

You must not have listened to the entire interview, because Iowa was the first topic they covered.

Yep - missed it as I skipped over LLWS.

He said "the emphasis (today) is on playmakers" and Iowa lacks that. This is true that Iowa has few if any playmakers..but we'll see if it is the obstacle for 2014. We know that it was the obstacle in 2013

_ I get it.

Latest posts