Chicago Sun Times writer Seth Gruen may need to be tested for workplace drug use....

SpiderRico

I can certainly understand not picking the Hawks to win the division. Wisky and Nebby will always be a tough out...no question. His pick is Nebby.

So maybe he picked the Hawks 2nd? Nope. Wisky in this slot.

3rd? Try again. Chicagoland's favorite son, Northwestern was the pick here.

Surely 4th then? Nope...it's Minnesota in this slot.

You gotta be kidding me...5th? Wrong again! Giant killer and future Hall of Fame coach Tim Beckman and his Fighting Illini are the pick here.

And in the 6 spot.....your Iowa Hawkeyes! Predicted to finish just ahead of our feared rival Purdue!

Re: Chicago Sun Times writer Seth Gruen may need to be tested for workplace drug use.

Clearly he knows next to nothing about football.

Re: Chicago Sun Times writer Seth Gruen may need to be tested for workplace drug use.

Wow, linkie dinkie please

Maybe he should have included a troll face meme at the end of that prediction.

I can certainly understand not picking the Hawks to win the division. Wisky and Nebby will always be a tough out...no question. His pick is Nebby.

So maybe he picked the Hawks 2nd? Nope. Wisky in this slot.

3rd? Try again. Chicagoland's favorite son, Northwestern was the pick here.

Surely 4th then? Nope...it's Minnesota in this slot.

You gotta be kidding me...5th? Wrong again! Giant killer and future Hall of Fame coach Tim Beckman and his Fighting Illini are the pick here.

And in the 6 spot.....your Iowa Hawkeyes! Predicted to finish just ahead of our feared rival Purdue!

In other words, Ferentz and the Hawkeyes are right where they want to be. I may bump my prediction to 12-0.

Holy crap.... Is that writer a close relative of Pat Fitz? What kind of wager would he be willing to make that Iowa doesn't finish say even 3rd or higher? I bet he would back peddle pretty fast if contested on that...

Given the current economic state of the newspaper business, I would suspect the job of sports reporter for the Sun Times pays slightly less than Guatemalan day laborer, so the guy is prolly suffering from malnutrition.

" 6. IowaA fresh-faced defense might have trouble as Big Ten offenses get more dynamic. The Hawkeyes have only five starters returning and none at linebacker.The winning formula: Put up points. But that might be tough for an offense that was inconsistent last season. "
Not sure how Northwestern and Illinois jump from one win seasons 3rd and 5th in the West. ?

Lolololololol. Although we replace a few faces in the back 7 our d-line is almost all back which is the key to our scheme.

I am guess he will test positive for a myriad of recreational and prescription drugs along with paint thinner and airplane model glue. I would even venture to say the CT scan would reveal a missing frontal cortex.

Based on this we should fire KF before the season starts. :)

I have seen Gruen on Comcast Sports Live....he is a an inch deep on substance. He parrots stuff he hears around his beat, NW football. Fancies himself as a hard-hitting opinon-shaper. ...just an arse.

Likely has ketchup and mustard winning the little 12 too

" 6. IowaA fresh-faced defense might have trouble as Big Ten offenses get more dynamic. The Hawkeyes have only five starters returning and none at linebacker.The winning formula: Put up points. But that might be tough for an offense that was inconsistent last season. "
Not sure how Northwestern and Illinois jump from one win seasons 3rd and 5th in the West. ?

Let's be honest here. That NW team was one of the best 1-win teams in recent history.

Christ, the Sun-Times fires all of its full-time photographers to cut costs, but keeps paying THIS ******* guy?

I emailed his bosses to either change the rankings or get rid of the hack writer.

Chris De Luca
Deputy managing editor -News/Sports
(312) 321-3000
cdeluca@suntimes.com
Jim KirkPublisher/Editor in chief
(312) 321-2577
jkirk@suntimes.com

He seems like he really knows football...

If we end up anything less than 3rd in the West I would definitely be shocked.

I have seen Gruen on Comcast Sports Live....he is a an inch deep on substance. He parrots stuff he hears around his beat, NW football. Fancies himself as a hard-hitting opinon-shaper. ...just an arse.

Ah, one of those guys. To paraphrase an old saying "If you're trying to be hip... then you're not".

Someone convince me that he was ranking these teams in the order in which he thought they would finish in the division. I thought he was simply providing an overview of the conference and a brief summary of the teams in it. Even if his intention wasn't to predict the outcome of the division, it's still poor journalism to use a "1-7" format to structure his article and leave it up to interpretation.

$.02

Latest posts