Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

bws258

I say they get to 70 wins ... whatcha got?
cubs84.gif

GO CUBS GO

Depends how soon the Shark sell off starts. I'd say 70 is a safe bet though. Protected top 10 pick would be great in my opinion. Hopefully get to see some of the young guys give it a go at the end of the year as well.
It may not be an exciting season at the ML level, but it is a huge season in determining the future and what moves the FO needs to make. Very exciting season to follow.

I think the Cubs will be this year's team to make the 20+ win jump. I'll say 88 wins and a Wild Card game berth.

Hope!

Unless Castro and Rizzo become the stars we are hoping they do I definitely think 90 losses is in the horizon again. Just not enough pop in the lineup and starting pitching is average. Wood and Smarz will be tough. Looking more and more like Olt might make the opening day lineup, i think this is a good thing. Give him a shot to go grab his spot for the next 5-10 years right away and thus give us direction on what to do with Bryant.

Unless Castro and Rizzo become the stars we are hoping they do I definitely think 90 losses is in the horizon again. Just not enough pop in the lineup and starting pitching is average. Wood and Smarz will be tough. Looking more and more like Olt might make the opening day lineup, i think this is a good thing. Give him a shot to go grab his spot for the next 5-10 years right away and thus give us direction on what to do with Bryant.
It's official, Olt made the opening day roster along with OF Ryan Kalish; another young guy with a little MLB experience and some promise.

It's official, Olt made the opening day roster along with OF Ryan Kalish; another young guy with a little MLB experience and some promise.

Just saw that, good moves by the Cubs IMO. They have nothing to really lose by Olt getting a shot at 3B but A LOT to gain if he comes in and proves he is an every day 3B. Texas may never want to trade with us again if Olt averages 25 HRs a year for the next 5-8!
Lot of talk about trading Barney lately, I wish we could keep him as a utility guy instead of a starter. Be a heckuva glove to put in late innings at SS or 2B.

Firstly, I'm hoping that Castro pulls his head out of his *** and quits day dreaming constantly. A lot of this upcoming season's success will depend on that. If Barney can start hitting for a better average that will help tremendously as well. We all know about his fielding ability. I really like Rizzo's potential and power, but he has to start hitting for a better average too. I expect the pitching to be mediocre at best, with the bullpen blowing plenty of holds and saves, but who knows, maybe they'll surprise. Whatever the case, I'm pretty excited for the season to start and I'm holding out hope for improvement from last season. Shot in the dark, I'll say 76-86 for the season.

I feel I would be a real homer to pick this team at .500 or better. I'm thinking very similar to the last couple of seasons.

Same as it ever was.

This just in: Cubs now 0-1 in 1-run games. Pirates win 1-0 in 10. As you said, same as it ever was.

Why is it that no team I root for can win a close game???

I guess being able to score a run would be a nice start.

Last edited:
Stupid ******** off to a brilliant start I see...now I can check out for the season

I don't think anyone thought this Cubs team would be any good. They might make it interesting towards the end of the year if they call up some of their prospects but this is going to be a long year (or a short one if you're like me and won't bother watching most of the games)

I don't think anyone thought this Cubs team would be any good. They might make it interesting towards the end of the year if they call up some of their prospects but this is going to be a long year (or a short one if you're like me and won't bother watching most of the games)

Yep, this is me. Get back to me when the Cubs start getting some talent up to the bigs.. Then I hope they'll be worth watching. Last few years, about all I've done is look at box scores, and haven't invested much time in watching them lose.

Latest posts