Cheer for Wisconsin over Nebraska

I never really thought about it, but this scenario could happen and seems so weird to me:

Legends team could go 4-1 in division, 0-3 out of division and play in the Championship, beating out the second best that went 4-1 and 3-0, 11-1 overall.

Leaders team could go 8-0 in conference and play in the Championship.

Legends team beats Leaders team, bringing them to 9-4 and playing in the Rose Bowl, while Leaders team goes 12-1 and plays something else, possibly not even BCS game.

So the Big Ten Champ has the third best record..

Cause the winner of the division is determined by best record in division right, not best conference record?

No. The division winner is determined by overall conference record first. After that its head to head. If more than two teams are tied, there are a bunch of tie-breakers.

No. The division winner is determined by overall conference record first. After that its head to head. If more than two teams are tied, there are a bunch of tie-breakers.

Okay, that makes more sense. Thought it was better division record. While I can't imagine this would ever happen you could have Team A going 7-1, but 7-5 overall, and Team B going 6-2 and 10-2 overall, with Team A going to the Champ game. I guess that's once a century type of occurance though, if ever.

Nebraska has plenty of challenges throughout the year. Wisconsin is one of 3 or 4 of those challenges. It would be something pretty special if a Wisconsin loss took them out of contention. I think it'll be one of 4 conference losses.

You guys are a ways off. Only cheer for the leaders teams if it helps the Hawks outlook in the standings. Otherwise we want our division to have the most possible wins so when we beat teams in our division it looks better on the national stage. We want the Legends division to be viewed as a stronger division....not like the B12 North.

I don't think that's going to be a problem. Michigan might be down, but they're still Michigan and that won't last forever. The only B12-Northish team in the division is Minnesota.

I don't think that's going to be a problem. Michigan might be down, but they're still Michigan and that won't last forever. The only B12-Northish team in the division is Minnesota.

And Michigan State and Northwestern. Michigan State is alot like Missouri, solid program but usually falls apart at the end of the year and will make a good run every few years. Northwestern is comparable to KU and dont say otherwise because they have had YOUR number, just because they have a scheme that you cant seem to handle doesnt mean they are any better than KU.

I think they are getting to much hype when you think about it. In another thread I pointed out that T-mart missed his soph year of HS due to injury and something like 30% of the snaps as a fresh in D1 ball.
I think you put way too much emphasis on past injuries. Just because "Player A" injured/broke/tore "body part B" "C years ago" doesn't mean that they will suffer another injury, nor does it mean that they won't. Unless it's a chronic thing, they don't have any effect on each other.

I broke my wrist in the 5th grade playing football, never had had issues with it since. I also have a bone spur in my right elbow that sometimes causes some tendinitis. Sometimes but not always.

"In the Big 12 you have all that spread stuff, and every day in the meeting room you're watching one position on the screen, and you just have a depth chart with just one position,"

"Now you have three positions, two positions, different packages. Everybody's competing. You've got to learn multiple positions instead of just one."
You’re reading too much into this. They are installing a few new packages, just like teams do all the time. They are becoming more comfortable with the “base” defenses, and are adding some wrinkles.

"In the Big Ten, you can't hardly put your hands on them (receivers). I'm trying to get used to running with receivers and not putting my hands on them. It'll be kind of hard. I like being physical."

"Coach Raymond told me he doesn't want me to do that this year. He wants me to just run by the receiver and just play him without putting my hands on him."
Kind of sounds like the Big 10 plays patty cake ball. How is the rest of the league going to handle a really physical, big time defense that is built to stop high powered offenses?

I think they had more penalties than any other B10 team last year as well. I have a feeling in an effort to slow the game down enough they will draw alot this year as well.
Definitely a concern. Hopefully, simplifying things on offense and changes in the coaching staff will lead to the lessening of stupid penalties. But from reading the previous posts, hopefully the Big 10 doesn’t penalize the defense for playing too tough. The Big 12 officials did at times the last couple of years, unfortunately.

It goes on and on. There is much learning going on over there, whether you are a SR or a Fresh. Awhile back I had them around 9 but now as I have dug further I think the number is closer to 7.6-7.7 wins.
There are alot of teams in the B10 this year that have question marks, but dont fool yourself into thinking they have any less or less substantial problems than anyone else. If you dig hard enough a case could be made they have more issues than several other teams.
The difference is, to those that know or think they know, even with all the questions Nebraska has more talent than the teams they have to face, thus will be able to offset those questions. Now, are they correct, who knows. But on paper, this appears to be the case.

Last edited:
I think you put way too much emphasis on past injuries. Just because "Player A" injured/broke/tore "body part B" "C years ago" doesn't mean that they will suffer another injury, nor does it mean that they won't. Unless it's a chronic thing, they don't have any effect on each other.

I broke my wrist in the 5th grade playing football, never had had issues with it since. I also have a bone spur in my right elbow that sometimes causes some tendinitis. Sometimes but not always.

You’re reading too much into this. They are installing a few new packages, just like teams do all the time. They are becoming more comfortable with the “base” defenses, and are adding some wrinkles.

Kind of sounds like the Big 10 plays patty cake ball. How is the rest of the league going to handle a really physical, big time defense that is built to stop high powered offenses? your defense is built to stop fast moving high powered offenses, how is it going to hold up to the constant pounding week in and week out in the big 10? the big 10 isn't all about throwing the ball like the big 12, the big 10's offenses(for the most part) come right at you and try to ram the ball down your throat.

Definitely a concern. Hopefully, simplifying things on offense and changes in the coaching staff will lead to the lessening of stupid penalties. But from reading the previous posts, hopefully the Big 10 doesn’t penalize the defense for playing too tough. The Big 12 officials did at times the last couple of years, unfortunately. a penalty is a penalty. not sure if you know, but the big 10 has some pretty salty defenses in it as well that play "tough" hard-nosed football, but we don't have the penalties to go along with that.

The difference is, to those that know or think they know, even with all the questions Nebraska has more talent than the teams they have to face, thus will be able to offset those questions. Now, are they correct, who knows. But on paper, this appears to be the case.

i made some counter-points. not arguing with you 74 as i appreciate your insight into things and your honesty, just trying to keep the conversation going. okay, kind of arguing, but with no hostility intended, lol

And Michigan State and Northwestern. Michigan State is alot like Missouri, solid program but usually falls apart at the end of the year and will make a good run every few years. Northwestern is comparable to KU and dont say otherwise because they have had YOUR number, just because they have a scheme that you cant seem to handle doesnt mean they are any better than KU.

Get the twist out of your panties. Michigan State and NW are far better than the dreck that made up the bottom of the Big 12 North.

i made some counter-points. not arguing with you 74 as i appreciate your insight into things and your honesty, just trying to keep the conversation going. okay, kind of arguing, but with no hostility intended, lol
not sure if you know, but the big 10 has some pretty salty defenses in it as well that play "tough" hard-nosed football, but we don't have the penalties to go along with that.

It's all good. Actually, much of that about "tough" defenses was said tongue in cheek. olddude likes to talk about how tough the B1G defenses are, I was just putting it back on him. ;)

your defense is built to stop fast moving high powered offenses, how is it going to hold up to the constant pounding week in and week out in the big 10? the big 10 isn't all about throwing the ball like the big 12, the big 10's offenses(for the most part) come right at you and try to ram the ball down your throat.

I think there is more of a variety of offenses in the B1G, some conventional pro-style (UW, Iowa), some play a little spread (NW, Illinois), tOSU used to run a little of both, but who knows what that will be this year, as well a Michigan. I thought (could be wrong) that Hoke is kindof a WCO guy.

It will be interesting to see how the matchups workout.

a penalty is a penalty.
Yes, but the way different refs call penalties can effect the game you play. If Big 12 refs allow a more physical style of pass defense, it might add up to more penalties in the B1G.

I think there is more of a variety of offenses in the B1G, some conventional pro-style (UW, Iowa), some play a little spread (NW, Illinois), tOSU used to run a little of both, but who knows what that will be this year, as well a Michigan. I thought (could be wrong) that Hoke is kindof a WCO guy.

It will be interesting to see how the matchups workout.

Yes, but the way different refs call penalties can effect the game you play. If Big 12 refs allow a more physical style of pass defense, it might add up to more penalties in the B1G.

i agree with you. it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out. obviously, iowa has a few question marks coming into the season as well.

and about the defenses thing earlier, i kind of thought you were jabbing at olddude but wasn't sure so i typed my comments, lol

oh, and its not fair for you to compare defenses with us since you guys inflate your player's weights on paper

Last edited:

Latest posts