Check out the defensiveness in Kirk here

Seemed like the persona Kirk wants every to see and what we've seen for a long time. He made a bit of a comment about how Iowa cares. Struck me as a cowboy getting close to his last ride. Or just very tired/reflective.

Seemed like the persona Kirk wants every to see and what we've seen for a long time. He made a bit of a comment about how Iowa cares. Struck me as a cowboy getting close to his last ride. Or just very tired/reflective.
Also, this all but confirms Brian is not going anywhere unless Brian wants to. At least if Kirk has anything to say about it.

I hope the offense comes around soon. I say that as a lifelong Iowa fan. NEVER thought I would see the day when an Iowa offense would be this bad. This pre-dates Hayden tenure.

At this point money has nothing to with it. Kirk has more money than he and his kids will ever need in their life time. It’s all about pride and ego at this point.

Can we make good enough strides to pull out at least seven wins? I hope so. If we could have just bottled up the magic we had against Ohio State the year we kicked their ass. If we had done that then I would be at the front of the line cheering on the idea of Brian being head coach………… but alas that was just a mirage.

I hope the offense comes around soon. I say that as a lifelong Iowa fan. NEVER thought I would see the day when an Iowa offense would be this bad. This pre-dates Hayden tenure.

At this point money has nothing to with it. Kirk has more money than he and his kids will ever need in their life time. It’s all about pride and ego at this point.

Can we make good enough strides to pull out at least seven wins? I hope so. If we could have just bottled up the magic we had against Ohio State the year we kicked their ass. If we had done that then I would be at the front of the line cheering on the idea of Brian being head coach………… but alas that was just a mirage.

Amen, brother.

What bothers me most is that Kirk Ferentz must realize that his offense is consistently one of the worst offenses in the country. If he made even a slight upgrade in the offensive rankings to say, 80th in the country (as opposed to 128th in the country), his team would benefit that much more. Why not make a change?

I don’t care if that change came in the form of Offensive Coordinator, QB switch, different coach calling the plays, whatever. It just comes down to stubbornness, I guess. But that isn’t a good enough excuse to not make a move.

A question about staff change ups in the middle of the year. Watch his response.
Did not see any defensiveness at all. He answered every questions and I thought answered very well. I think you are stretching here, IMO.

Did not see any defensiveness at all. He answered every questions and I thought answered very well. I think you are stretching here, IMO.
Ahh......the question asked and how he answered....that was all about letting everyone know Brian is not going anywhere and how dare you ask me that question or go there.

What bothers me most is that Kirk Ferentz must realize that his offense is consistently one of the worst offenses in the country. If he made even a slight upgrade in the offensive rankings to say, 80th in the country (as opposed to 128th in the country), his team would benefit that much more. Why not make a change?

I don’t care if that change came in the form of Offensive Coordinator, QB switch, different coach calling the plays, whatever. It just comes down to stubbornness, I guess. But that isn’t a good enough excuse to not make a move.

Wow, sounds like something I would say. Truth cannot be denied.

I just wish when KF initially answered Scott with a question back to him that Scott would have said 'Well to be specific to improve upon the worst offense in college football'. Wouldn't that be reason enough to shake up the staff? Coordinators that aren't the worst in the sport are fired all the time for not being good enough. JS...

Kirk has always struck me as a pretty self-aware guy - don't you think he knows a transition to Brian looks almost impossible now? Assuming that is the case (maybe a big assumption), what do you think a transition would look like? Barta simply asking who Kirk recommends, likely a guy on staff, Barta and upper leadership check a few boxes, and that's more or less it? Or Barta and a committee launch a national search and interview some candidates with Iowa ties and some without?

Can we make good enough strides to pull out at least seven wins? I hope so.

If we beat Illinois this team will win at least 8. The division is terrible. If we lose to Illinois, it may get ugly. This Illinois game may be the most pivotal game of KF's tenure. If we lose this one and the wheels come off the bus and we finish the season with a losing record and an offense in the 120s people are gonna be royally pissed.

We made changes to the offensive staff in the offseason. Legendary play caller and quarterback coach Ken O'Keefe "retired" and Brian Ferentz became QB coach. The results speak for themselves.

If we beat Illinois this team will win at least 8. The division is terrible. If we lose to Illinois, it may get ugly. This Illinois game may be the most pivotal game of KF's tenure. If we lose this one and the wheels come off the bus and we finish the season with a losing record and an offense in the 120s people are gonna be royally pissed.
Out of curiosity as I am probably younger than most on this board.. What was the sentiment in 2012 when we were 4-8? Were people calling for his job at that point? (I was in 9th grade btw so I didn't really pay attention to the noise outside of gamedays).

It maybe looks like he might just bury this season's failure around a few 7 and 8 win seasons with no real change or consequences and keep playing Kirk ball.

Out of curiosity as I am probably younger than most on this board.. What was the sentiment in 2012 when we were 4-8? Were people calling for his job at that point? (I was in 9th grade btw so I didn't really pay attention to the noise outside of gamedays).

It maybe looks like he might just bury this season's failure around a few 7 and 8 win seasons with no real change or consequences and keep playing Kirk ball.

Nah, I think his job was safe in 2012. It's hard to overstate just how bad the offense got when O'Keefe went to Miami and Greg Davis took over as OC. Davis took most of the heat for the dismal record. Brian Ferentz is a marked upgrade over Davis, which the conspiracy theorist in me thinks is the whole reason we got Davis in the first instance.

No, but people were really questioning the Greg Davis hire. That was year one, and Davis' horizontal passing scheme looked like a terrible fit with Iowa's zone blocking. It was more of a transition year. 2008-2010 was a hell of a run, even with all the close losses in 2010. And then in 2011, O'Keefe (see post a few up for his accolades) orchestrated one of the all time great seasons by an Iowa QB with Vandenberg. Historic. Along with Davis' weird scheme, Iowa lost both its starting tackles in one series against Penn State. Back then, the starters on the O-line seemed like upper class studs compared to the second string (nowadays they all kind of look the same), so there was a sense of just plain bad luck with that 2012 team.

The vibe this year is different - one that I'm not sure we've felt before. Even if Iowa hovers around 7 or 8 wins, I think we'll see enthusiasm for Iowa football hit its lowest point in many years this off-season (assuming Iowa stays status quo). Watching the offense is such a chore - I think anger will peak towards the end of the season - and then we'll see more of a slide into apathy next year. Unless, of course, we see an attempt at a new offensive system.

No, but people were really questioning the Greg Davis hire. That was year one, and Davis' horizontal passing scheme looked like a terrible fit with Iowa's zone blocking. It was more of a transition year. 2008-2010 was a hell of a run, even with all the close losses in 2010. And then in 2011, O'Keefe (see post a few up for his accolades) orchestrated one of the all time great seasons by an Iowa QB with Vandenberg. Historic. Along with Davis' weird scheme, Iowa lost both its starting tackles in one series against Penn State. Back then, the starters on the O-line seemed like upper class studs compared to the second string (nowadays they all kind of look the same), so there was a sense of just plain bad luck with that 2012 team.

The vibe this year is different - one that I'm not sure we've felt before. Even if Iowa hovers around 7 or 8 wins, I think we'll see enthusiasm for Iowa football hit its lowest point in many years this off-season (assuming Iowa stays status quo). Watching the offense is such a chore - I think anger will peak towards the end of the season - and then we'll see more of a slide into apathy next year. Unless, of course, we see an attempt at a new offensive system.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think JVB went from 25 TD passes in 2011 to 6 or 7 in 2012. Granted we lost McNutt and that was a big factor, but watching a team with a QB who throws 6 or 7 TDs in a season sucks. I think Petras will top that, but he only has 2 as of now with 7 games to go, so if we extrapolate it out I think he would currently be on pace for 5.