Chat room = Disappointment (Done this site)

Malachiman

Today was the first time I've actually joined the chat room during the game. All I can say is that it'll definitely be the last time. There's no question that it's Jon's room. Of course people were upset due to the lack of success on the offense, etc. but it seemed if a member voiced their displeasure, your then ridiculed for not being able to control your emotions. Then little/tiny remarks by Jon which ends up riling them up again. Nothing outright but juuuuuust enough to keep them going. Kinda like an older brother teasing his little sister when she's already been in trouble. Homer is an understatement. I understand that Jon can't really voice his fustrations/disappointments towards coaching calls, team plays, etc. because he makes his living off the school and "*******" someone off would damage relationships but others are not in his situation. Please don't coordinate a chat room if your going to do what happened tonight. I'm sure that there's plenty of Jon loyalists and that'll bash me but I've accepted that. I really wish that I had copied the chat room somehow but was on my phone. Pathetic.

I enjoy Jon's work and followed him over here from TOS but I've seen a change for awhile now. I'll continue to read his material but the chat room experience today was a nail in the coffin.

Now I know why I continue to pay for TOS. I can tell a vast difference from a free site to a premium site. Sorry Jon but I tried to hang in here, I just can't do it anymore. No need to reply. I know what comments that'll be forthcoming from you and your fans.

Today was the first time I've actually joined the chat room during the game. All I can say is that it'll definitely be the last time. There's no question that it's Jon's room. Of course people were upset due to the lack of success on the offense, etc. but it seemed if a member voiced their displeasure, your then ridiculed for not being able to control your emotions. Then little/tiny remarks by Jon which ends up riling them up again. Nothing outright but juuuuuust enough to keep them going. Kinda like an older brother teasing his little sister when she's already been in trouble. Homer is an understatement. I understand that Jon can't really voice his fustrations/disappointments towards coaching calls, team plays, etc. because he makes his living off the school and "*******" someone off would damage relationships but others are not in his situation. Please don't coordinate a chat room if your going to do what happened tonight. I'm sure that there's plenty of Jon loyalists and that'll bash me but I've accepted that. I really wish that I had copied the chat room somehow but was on my phone. Pathetic.

I enjoy Jon's work and followed him over here from TOS but I've seen a change for awhile now. I'll continue to read his material but the chat room experience today was a nail in the coffin.

Now I know why I continue to pay for TOS. I can tell a vast difference from a free site to a premium site. Sorry Jon but I tried to hang in here, I just can't do it anymore. No need to reply. I know what comments that'll be forthcoming from you and your fans.

huh?

Lol, u mad?

Its a free site, give me a break.

Wait, so you are saying Jon and the board was being too kind to the coaching staff? I guess you werent here after the Wisconsin game...

I'm sure you will be back after you sober up.

Listened to the chat during the game as I don't have B10 network and enjoyed the company. Jon did get a little snippy at times but some of the comments were way overboard. Enjoyed it and will do again.

I have no problem at all and really enjoy all the free content...I do feel that sometimes Jon censors what goes through the chat (ala negative comments, about coaches etc) but on the other hand...it's probably just him and I believe he has to approve every comment? So it's understandable that not all comments will be shown. I appreciates all he does...but I'm going to just stick with official game thread from now....but honestly good riddance...it's a free site!!

I was on the chat and I was very frustrated and expressed my frustration on Iowa's play. I also posted many times I thought Iowa was going to lose and never saw that Jon posted them. I had no problem with that or the chat. Jon didn't engage in the frustration. I chalked it up to Jon clearly being more postive and waiting for the final whistle.. I'm not programmed that way. I was very very frustrated.

Love the Chat feature.

Jon, Today was tough but you hung with it and didn't waiver and stayed positive.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to see you go.

And I am not told to say or not to say anything related to Iowa's coaching staff.

But when I disagree with what folks are getting pissy about, at first I can ignore it. But after repeated comments that I couldn't disagree more with, I am going to say something.

The folks that continue to rip the defense may who may be blinded by their anger, I am going to have a debate

The Iowa defense gave up 13 points today. They held Indiana nearly 100 yards below their passing yards average. Chappell completed just 58% of his passes, when he normally completes 66. Iowa held them under their rushing per game average.

The offense? Wasnt good. SPecial teams? Werent good. I dont think I debated with anyone on those fronts.

But the defensive stuff...I just steadfastly disagree.

The chat is probably not for everyone. It's quickly becoming more work for me than it's worth. I do it because of the emails I get from the American Armed Forces members that tell me its their only link to Iowa football Saturdays, and I am glad to do it for them.

Everything isn't for everyone, and perhaps this just isn't for you. That's OK.

Last edited:
I have no problem at all and really enjoy all the free content...I do feel that sometimes Jon censors what goes through the chat (ala negative comments, about coaches etc) but on the other hand...it's probably just him and I believe he has to approve every comment? So it's understandable that not all comments will be shown. I appreciates all he does...but I'm going to just stick with official game thread from now....but honestly good riddance...it's a free site!!

You are right, there are thousands of posts. About 40 or 50 on each play. I cannot possibly read them all and still post close to 1000 per game, in addition to my own posts, recap of each play for the folks overseas that can't watch, and trying to do it in 30 seconds before the next play. And it is just me.

You are right, there are thousands of posts. About 40 or 50 on each play. I cannot possibly read them all and still post close to 1000 per game, in addition to my own posts, recap of each play for the folks overseas that can't watch, and trying to do it in 30 seconds before the next play. And it is just me.

Totally understandable!! Thanks for all you do...I did not mean that to criticize you in anyway! Even if I do disagree with you sometimes....That's what debate is all about right ;) Thanks again!

I was disappointed also.... Many times I posted something that I thought was a good message and it never saw the chat. TOO much screening... Fans should be able to voice their opinions! Many times at this site I sense the love of power Jon feels. This site is usually always last with info too. I came to the chat thinking I would read some good comments from other fans but all I pretty much saw was game by game calls. I think most of us had it on the TV, radio, or both. Didnt need Jons play by play. Was called chat room > not Jon's opinions and Jon's deciosions on what gets put on the chat.... Lame!

I was on the chat and I was very frustrated and expressed my frustration on Iowa's play. I also posted many times I thought Iowa was going to lose and never that Jon posted them. I had no problem with that or the chat. Jon didn't engage in the frustration. I chalked it up to Jon clearly being more postive and waiting for the final whistle.. I'm not programmed that way. I was very very frustrated.

This is probably what it gets down to. It's more a personality thing.

My personality is more in line with gray criticism, or gray opinions, in the heat of the battle, where others are all black or all white. Not saying what's right or wrong, it's just how I am and how I am always going to be.

So that aspect of the chat drives me nuts sometimes, but I am sure I drive some people nuts because of how I do things. Again, it's just a personality thing, and this site and the chat are going to reflect the personality of the person at the controls, at least in moderated chats.

I rarely delete posts on the forums. Let a lot of stuff go that I disagree with, but that is OK.

I was disappointed also.... Many times I posted something that I thought was a good message and it never saw the chat. TOO much screening... Fans should be able to voice their opinions! Many times at this site I sense the love of power Jon feels. This site is usually always last with info too. I came to the chat thinking I would read some good comments from other fans but all I pretty much saw was game by game calls. I think most of us had it on the TV, radio, or both. Didnt need Jons play by play. Was called chat room > not Jon's opinions and Jon's deciosions on what gets put on the chat.... Lame!

Do you ever read the threads you post in? Jon clearly said he does the play by play for people over seas who can't watch the game.

That's all fair. I am not in this for any love or power. I do it because I have always wanted to do it.

And I do the play by play stuff for the folks that don't have access to it. And I cannot possibly post all of the comments. the vast majority of the time, it has nothing more to do with not being able to add 50 replies per play.

Again, I would rather not do the chats at all. It takes away from my personal enjoyment of something that is one of my favorite things. But there are a lot of people that tell me they depend on it to make their lives more enjoyable, and those people are facing life threatening situations on a regular basis. It's the least I can do, and I am sure they appreciate the input and involvement of others in the chat, too

If you don't like the chat...don't open it...I probably won't do it again....just because it's not what I need...I need somewhere to vent so I'm not screaming at TV lol :) But it's great that Jon provides it for people!

maybe you shouldnt call it a chatroom anymore but a play by play for our brave soldiers away from home show???

Latest posts