Changes...

Agreed, Wasteland, at least in my opinion, appears to be appropriately named. I'm mostly a lurker here at HN, but I come here often to read up on Hawkeye related news and information. If there is a "rendezvous" site or new home to land (just in case), I'd sure like to know where it is. How can we be notified, short of following this thread?

Thanks Rob for all you did for Hawkeye fans and HN.

Ditto. HN is my main spot for info and I enjoy tge game threads. Plus the humor is solid. I'd sure miss some folks. I'd join another spot, might even pay for it depending on the cast.

Hopefully, the HN forum will survive moving forward, but these kinds of decisions usual herald some major changes. Unfortunately, my experience has been that there is no notice... One day you pull up the page and the forum has disappeared.

If that happens, I'd probably head back to 247 (assuming it's still there). It would be a bitter pill to swallow, as part of the impetus for finding a new forum originally was my displeasure at how 247 handled the Iowa forum several years ago.

The moderator/writer had left, and, despite repeated promises to fix the issue, 247 allowed the Iowa forum to languish, while still requiring a paid subscription for probably about half of the content- all while other forums had up to three active writers the entire time. When someone finally came in, apparently the decision was made to make 90% of the content paid-only. From a business standpoint, it represented a good opportunity to throw out an olive branch to mend relationships to the long-term subscribers (such as rebates or offering a free year subscription), but none was forthcoming, and, likewise, no apology was issued whatsoever.

Nevertheless, beggars can't be choosers. There's simply not much else out there.

Game threads

Were by far my favorite thing. I don't attend games anymore so this is the place where I interacted with Iowa fans the most. For those 2-4 hours we were all just fans and all the other bullshit that divides us really didn't matter. This feels like the beginning of the end. After 19 years of this I understand that I might have to tap out.

So, I got a call from the HN owners yesterday. It being the last day of the month, I figured it probably was not good news, at least for me. It wasn't.

They informed me that they were eliminating the publisher role for the website but keeping me on as a contributor effective today. You still will be seeing plenty of my written content on HN with a focus on recruiting. I'm told the move is financially based.

What else does the change bring about here? I'm glad you asked. ;)

-I no longer will be moderating these message boards. I have not been told who will be doing that. I may post on here from time to time, but it will be as a private citizen :D and it will be far less frequently.

-I will not be shooting photos or recording podcasts for HN. You will be able to find my work in those areas on other sites. You may also see some of my stories on other sites. I've been doing that for YourPrepSports.com and Milesplit.com as a side hustle and will continue with those companies.

-I will not be handling any customer concerns. I've not been told who will be doing it.

I appreciate all you guys that have hung around since I returned to HN in December of '15. It's been a bit hairy at times, especially in '20, but I've enjoyed the conversation and getting to know you guys a little. Don't ever hesitate to reach out and say hi. Like I said, I'll drop in on here from time to time until I break the habit. ;)

All the best Rob. We benefited from your passion and commitment.

Thanks for many your years of fine work, Rob. I rarely post but constantly creep around the board and have always enjoyed your stuff, Good luck to you, sir!!!.

The Wasteland is absolutely Hawkeye related. We've got fucking legends over there already, including DuffMan, Ghost, SoCal, Ginger and ThunderHawk. It's easiest to just port the 20-30 active folks here to there. You'll get a migration to a new board, but it will die fast because I don't think you'll get more than a handful of active folks there.

My guess is they'll 86 this board at some point fairly soon because the moderation cost of a paid third party prolly ain't worth the pittance of revenue. This is more of a labor of love type of job.

The Wasteland has worked for a Hawkeye Game Chat on occasion. If the trolling could be tampered down a bit during game time, it could work. Seems that most members are former Hawkeye Nation folk, The DirtyThirty among others.

Are Vin and False Mirage still on board.....?

Clorox Cocktail, Anyone

Cheers

:cool:

Last edited:
It's a Damn Shame, Rob. You have done an excellent job as the Leader. You gave folk several warnings, time after time, before lowering the Hammer.

You will be missed. When the Virus started, it was only an amount of time before things became drastic for The Nation. I hope and pray that things will change when Football and Basketball start. The game chats are the best and might attract more members to post and observe.

Thanks, Rob

:cool:

The news does suck. We really wish things could remain the same but a Football-less fall (so far) has impacted us as well. We look forward to continuing to get great insight on recruiting and analysis from Rob.
On the bright side, we are bringing in some fresh voices to the site and a much needed site overhaul with fewer pop up ads (which has been in the works since January). The forum will remain pretty much the same as it rests on a separate platform. Hopefully we can decrease ads here as well. See the article we just posted here: https://www.hawkeyenation.com/announcements/hn-owners-updates-and-introductions
For now, Andrew Downs will be taking point in this forum and issues/questions can be sent to him. He will be introducing himself next week.
We would also be more than happy to have conversations with any of you that would like to help moderate the boards here. If you are interested, please email me at Craig@HawkeyeNation.com.
Go Hawks!
CC

So, I got a call from the HN owners yesterday. It being the last day of the month, I figured it probably was not good news, at least for me. It wasn't.

They informed me that they were eliminating the publisher role for the website but keeping me on as a contributor effective today. You still will be seeing plenty of my written content on HN with a focus on recruiting. I'm told the move is financially based.

What else does the change bring about here? I'm glad you asked. ;)

-I no longer will be moderating these message boards. I have not been told who will be doing that. I may post on here from time to time, but it will be as a private citizen :D and it will be far less frequently.

-I will not be shooting photos or recording podcasts for HN. You will be able to find my work in those areas on other sites. You may also see some of my stories on other sites. I've been doing that for YourPrepSports.com and Milesplit.com as a side hustle and will continue with those companies.

-I will not be handling any customer concerns. I've not been told who will be doing it.

I appreciate all you guys that have hung around since I returned to HN in December of '15. It's been a bit hairy at times, especially in '20, but I've enjoyed the conversation and getting to know you guys a little. Don't ever hesitate to reach out and say hi. Like I said, I'll drop in on here from time to time until I break the habit. ;)
2020 just gets shittier and shittier.

Sorry to hear this, Rob.

The news does suck. We really wish things could remain the same but a Football-less fall (so far) has impacted us as well. We look forward to continuing to get great insight on recruiting and analysis from Rob.
On the bright side, we are bringing in some fresh voices to the site and a much needed site overhaul with fewer pop up ads (which has been in the works since January). The forum will remain pretty much the same as it rests on a separate platform. Hopefully we can decrease ads here as well. See the article we just posted here: https://www.hawkeyenation.com/announcements/hn-owners-updates-and-introductions
For now, Andrew Downs will be taking point in this forum and issues/questions can be sent to him. He will be introducing himself next week.
We would also be more than happy to have conversations with any of you that would like to help moderate the boards here. If you are interested, please email me at Craig@HawkeyeNation.com.
Go Hawks!
CC
Who’s us? And how has it impacted whoever “us” is to the point you decided to shit-can a passionate, talented publisher who almost single-handedly made this the go-to site for Hawkeye sports?

The changes that have been announced fail to inspire. More Gannett smoke and mirrors, amounting to nothing.

Prediction: this site will fail to exist in six months. Yet another meaningful and beloved publication laid waste by the leaders of a money-grubbing corporation that couldn’t even hold onto its Crystal Palace headquarters in Tyson’s Corner.

Craig, did you ever get to touch the “blue ball”?

Who’s us? And how has it impacted whoever “us” is to the point you decided to shit-can a passionate, talented publisher who almost single-handedly made this the go-to site for Hawkeye sports?

The changes that have been announced fail to inspire. More Gannett smoke and mirrors, amounting to nothing.

Prediction: this site will fail to exist in six months. Yet another meaningful and beloved publication laid waste by the leaders of a money-grubbing corporation that couldn’t even hold onto its Crystal Palace headquarters in Tyson’s Corner.

Craig, did you ever get to touch the “blue ball”?

Maybe the changes will be for the best!! The way this site has been run and moderated since Covid has IMO been subpar!!

Maybe the changes will be for the best!! The way this site has been run and moderated since Covid has IMO been subpar!!

Everything since Covid has been subpar. Regardless of what went on here I found this site an escape from the real world and what was/is going on out in the real world. We can say what we want about what we thought about how things were handled here, but lets be real it fails in comparison to how shitty the real world has been in 2020.

Everything since Covid has been subpar. Regardless of what went on here I found this site an escape from the real world and what was/is going on out in the real world. We can say what we want about what we thought about how things were handled here, but lets be real it fails in comparison to how shitty the real world has been in 2020.

And Your entitled to your opinion!

Latest posts