Changes...

re: HNwasteland... looks like a train wreck. Troll central with a lot of ancient threads.

Good luck, Rob! As long as the Hawkeye brand remains strong, you'll have opportunities.

Yeah, see we agree. My point is if dudes want to have gamethreads and shit, do them on the wasteland where we already have a few dozen dudes plus Ginger. People will participate if one gets rolling. I have to check with SoCal because we had a deal to jointly run that when it splintered out, but my guess is he'd have no problem making you a mod there, too. We can move some of the activity back onto the Hawkeye Sports board, I think it was just at the point where everyone just tossed everything into the trash board.
From my past experience it usually doesn't go well when new mods are brought into smaller boards that've been around for several years. What I'm envisioning is a board with a Football, Basketball, other Hawk sports, OT no politics/religion thread, and an OT free for all thread. Those five threads kept on track except for the free for all one would catch everything. And a rule that former HN members use their HN usernames if they were active here.

Either way, as mentioned before it's probably best to do it now rather than later so the family doesn't get split up in foster homes and lost forever.

I'm very sorry to hear this. All the best to you Rob! I hope this works out for the best for you and for all of us that love the Hawkeyes. There are a lot of us "lurkers" that will miss Hawkeye Nation.

I appreciate the kind words and support, today and throughout the years.

Getting a good start on making up the lost income today, so my outlook is positive.

Have they turned off your moderator privileges yet so that I may answer this post in the way that I desire to answer it?

re: HNwasteland... looks like a train wreck. Troll central with a lot of ancient threads.

Good luck, Rob! As long as the Hawkeye brand remains strong, you'll have opportunities.

Agreed, Wasteland, at least in my opinion, appears to be appropriately named. I'm mostly a lurker here at HN, but I come here often to read up on Hawkeye related news and information. If there is a "rendezvous" site or new home to land (just in case), I'd sure like to know where it is. How can we be notified, short of following this thread?

Thanks Rob for all you did for Hawkeye fans and HN.

Thanks so much for the content you've produced over the years and providing us with a home to discuss our favorite team. I wish you all the best, 2020 has been rough for a lot of people. You'll be missed, but I look forward to more of your stories in the future.

P.S. I hear that the University of Iowa needs a new President, gonna take a shot? :)

Because it says "Partner with USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties." on the bottom of the front page, I've always assumed Gannett bought this thing out.
Very observant! Never noticed that part. I always just saw "Partner of SHIFT Interactive. Des Moines, IA". I completely ignored the copyright statement.

The Wasteland is absolutely Hawkeye related. We've got fucking legends over there already, including DuffMan, Ghost, SoCal, Ginger and ThunderHawk. It's easiest to just port the 20-30 active folks here to there. You'll get a migration to a new board, but it will die fast because I don't think you'll get more than a handful of active folks there.

My guess is they'll 86 this board at some point fairly soon because the moderation cost of a paid third party prolly ain't worth the pittance of revenue. This is more of a labor of love type of job.

Oh man...those names are a blast from the past. Duff was always hilarious. I need to jump back over there and check things out. It's been a few months...

Bad news Rob. Good luck going forward.,. too bad the ownership couldnt hang on to you to at least the end of the year thru football season and the holidays.

Very sorry to hear this @RobHowe. You have done a tremendous job of moderating this board and I have really enjoyed your content.

This is one of my go-to boards and the only Iowa board I visit. I would love to find another board when this one hits the shitter. One that has stories about the athletics, great game threads and a bunch of good Iowa fans.

Good luck, Rob

Have they turned off your moderator privileges yet so that I may answer this post in the way that I desire to answer it?

Sorry to hear the news, Rob. I always look forward to your contributions and wish you all the best.

As far as answering this post...

Well that's a bit of a kick in the nuts today. Sorry to hear this Rob. Always appreciated your work...and enjoyed your take on most things Hawkeye related. Accurate, balanced, inclusive, and thoughtful reporting...just like you see on Fox.

Best of luck...keep the faith...your best work is always ahead of you.

I was thinking about these changes Rob just described. Is this the long arm of the University of Iowa Athletic Department reaching out and saying "hey...we remember...and we take our interests and brand very seriously. We don't appreciate our nose being rubbed in anything."

Now...i'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy...but seems like someone is trying to muzzle our guy to me. Then again, I'm pretty sure Miley Cyrus is stalking me...so I may be off base on this.

Very sorry to hear that, but I'm sure it will turn out well.

At the very least, you have to be experiencing a little "weight off the shoulders" sensation. Being the head of an asylum takes it's toll.... :cool:

As I'm sure you've heard before, these bumps in the road can often lead to far better things though at the time that outcome can be hard to see. I bet the road ahead will be better. It often is for many people in similar situations....... myself included.

Good luck, stay strong, and thanks for your contributions.

They can but this is a tough time.

Latest posts