Changes on the horizon...

Why would anyone volunteer to go headlong into a stacked defensive line that is over-aggressive due to play calling? I bet A Rob has an opinion.
Not disagreeing with you here, but you have mentioned that KF systematically and intentionally abused A Rob. Do we actually know what he thinks, or is this a theory of yours?

Not disagreeing with you here, but you have mentioned that KF systematically and intentionally abused A Rob. Do we actually know what he thinks, or is this a theory of yours?
It is what my eyes saw. Announcers saw it as well. A Rob was dismissed from using pot. 2 things. Pot is great for concussions. Concussions also greatly reduce one's impulse control and sufferers make bad choices. He was thrown under the bus.

His previous concussion came from Stanzi throwing to him unexpectedly in the middle high and Ohio State smashed him high.

I personally think KF has no clue how to handle QBs and seems to loathe the position. Of course it's my opinion. I am very sensitive about concussions as I've had a number of them and my boys in sports had some bad ones. I also don't believe the ridiculously low stats on concussions.

It is what my eyes saw. Announcers saw it as well. A Rob was dismissed from using pot. 2 things. Pot is great for concussions. Concussions also greatly reduce one's impulse control and sufferers make bad choices. He was thrown under the bus.

His previous concussion came from Stanzi throwing to him unexpectedly in the middle high and Ohio State smashed him high.

I personally think KF has no clue how to handle QBs and seems to loathe the position. Of course it's my opinion. I am very sensitive about concussions as I've had a number of them and my boys in sports had some bad ones. I also don't believe the ridiculously low stats on concussions.
That makes sense. I tend to agree about the dismissal issue. It seemed really unfortunate at best. I'm not sure I agree with coaches willingly abusing him by putting him out there to catch passes and run into the line of scrimmage. I think we both agree that the root cause is the sport of football itself, in terms of concussions and brain issues. Every single player is subject to it. Really bad things often happen without warning or intent. Some of the worst head injuries, in fact. So, while I understand your concern for how ARob was treated, I think you might be laying it on a bit thick with the thoughts about intentional abuse.

Honestly, I'm surprised any parents put their kids in football these days, knowing what we know now about repetitive head trauma.

It won't stop many from playing, or even running for Senator.

That makes sense. I tend to agree about the dismissal issue. It seemed really unfortunate at best. I'm not sure I agree with coaches willingly abusing him by putting him out there to catch passes and run into the line of scrimmage. I think we both agree that the root cause is the sport of football itself, in terms of concussions and brain issues. Every single player is subject to it. Really bad things often happen without warning or intent. Some of the worst head injuries, in fact. So, while I understand your concern for how ARob was treated, I think you might be laying it on a bit thick with the thoughts about intentional abuse.

Honestly, I'm surprised any parents put their kids in football these days, knowing what we know now about repetitive head trauma.

Agree on most. Go back if you can find it and review the MSU game where A Rob got his 2nd Concussion. The O made no attempt to change things up and literally there were no holes. An angry, outplayed, and talented MSU D crushed the LB's into the running lane and hit him up high repeatedly. It was hard to watch. Rarely do I see RBs get hit as hard into no holes as I see Iowa historically starting about that time.

The OSU game was not the same. Stanzi was getting lot's of pressure and he dumped it off when A Rob was turned back to the D and not expecting it. I'll take some heat for this, but Stanzi like a lot of Iowa QBs lacked certain fundamentals. I enjoyed watching him, but he was called Pick 6 Rick for a reason.

But back to A Rob, they owed him something more than dumping him considering....

Watch the QBs for teams like TCU, Houston and other pass happy O's. Watch their footwork and body positioning. I watched a local kid who started for Houston workout a lot with his dad at a local field house. I just doubt Iowa does that much.

Btw, my boys' concussions were from soccer, usually contact with the ball. Their coach was big on heading which drove me nuts. Three of those were freaks happenings and 2 were severe. One of his teammates was sent away for anger management for a time when he caused the concussion. One son left football due to a concussion and got a worse one in soccer. In IL soccer and football are both fall sports. As a HS coach the trainers would easily clear players who took hard head hits and looking back it was nuts.

Last edited:

Senator, huh? Ha Ha

There are a couple of glaring omissions from this typical thank-you-but-I'm-moving-on post by Keegan. Anyone else picking up on it?

I could just be reading too much into it.

Fi6KEdRXwAAl_GP
Hmm... Interesting he never once directly identifies his coaches or teammates.

I said back several months ago that developmental schools like Iowa are going to get hurt the worst from the portal and now NIL. It is a completely different recruiting and roster model now. There is no spending 2-3 good years to develop a player.
The problem though is we have/still have every opportunity to adapt to the changing landscape and for whatever reason we haven't. I think you can throw out the "developmental" reference in your previous comment because I think the developmental label is irrelevant. There are going to be developmental programs that continue to develop just fine, because they adapt to the the new landscape. Iowa's not done that, so tbh I think it's more on us at this point then a negative effect from NIL implementation.

Just as a matter of career prospects, the only way that’s a good move is if he’s not good enough to get a starting role. With Iowa’s history of getting DBs drafted there isn’t really a better place to be unless you aren’t playing.
I think though in this case there are players that may not need to bank on a history of getting players drafted, and if that's the case why not go where the money is. Sure you can get filthy rich in the NFL, but if there's a good chance your already going to end up there, and can make bank before hand while still getting a ton of exposure at another P5 program, then why not do it.

The problem though is we have/still have every opportunity to adapt to the changing landscape and for whatever reason we haven't. I think you can throw out the "developmental" reference in your previous comment because I think the developmental label is irrelevant. There are going to be developmental programs that continue to develop just fine, because they adapt to the the new landscape. Iowa's not done that, so tbh I think it's more on us at this point then a negative effect from NIL implementation.

This is the whole f'ing point of my statement. You are using my statement to try to counteract my statement, like it's your original thought. Weird.

My point is we now have plug and play players/rosters. There is a paradigm shift in coaching. Is a coach who is really an X's and O's coach now less valuable than a coach that can manage the roster, portal and NIL. Is it more about being a better car salesman than it is about teaching X's and O's? Are schools going to hire coaches who manage the rosters and portal better? That is what is interesting. Seems now a program has to hire a coach that can find and roster plug-and-play players. They don't have time to develop players.

What exactly did you think I meant when I stated development schools like Iowa are going to suffer the worst?

Three Things Can Happen When You Pass and Two of Them Are Bad​

View attachment 9581

I watched that game

Never had seen anything like it

He charged, in 1956, that Forest Evashevski had allowed the stadium grass to grow long at Iowa in order to hamper the Ohio State running attack, and he threatened to get a lawnmower and cut it himself. At a Big Ten press conference in Chicago, he was first on the schedule to give a rundown of his team's prospects for the season ahead. When Hayes stopped speaking, all the other conference coaches, stood up and left. Hayes had covered each team in the Big Ten so thoroughly that there was no more to be said.

Like Jack Nunge?

Although it was more than two years of injuries. He lost his dad in there as well.
Yes, exactly. You see it all the time in several sports. I just think it's a drain psychologically to deal with adversity, and the negativity starts to expand to your surroundings.

Look at how many marriages collapse after a couple goes through a stressful experience, completely unrelated to their relationship.

Last edited:
Yes, people underestimate the difficulty in trying to go through your reads when rushers are coming at you untouched.
At IL I could see the whole thing. Untouched isn't the whole story..... The D had straight shots. And they were primed and ready to go.

1670185158978.png

Latest posts