Changes on the horizon...

Not surprised either, but this one really stings. He was my favorite recruit of his class and is a rare talent.

I've come to expect that players dealing with lingering injuries have a strong chance of moving on. It's almost as if they negatively associate the injury experience with the program itself, and seek a fresh start.

Either way, its too bad. I won't be surprised at all if he plays at the next level. It will be interesting to see whether or not Bruce joins him. By all accounts, they are pretty close.
Like Jack Nunge?

Although it was more than two years of injuries. He lost his dad in there as well.

Why would anyone volunteer to go headlong into a stacked defensive line that is over-aggressive due to play calling? I bet A Rob has an opinion.

I am not interested in a retread OC (ala Greg Davis), and I am not interested in a retread QB.

We are going to lose a bunch of people off a historically good Iowa defense. The O has hit rock bottom. This is the perfect time to start a rebuild.

Pick a young OC with a track-record of success and innovation at a smaller school in the upper-midwest. Someone who other coaches rave about. Someone with a philosophy of balanced football in a sense compatible with the modern game. Don't worry about pedigree, lack of P5 experience, just hand him the keys, and get out of the way.

Play for the future. At QB, pick the best of Lainez, May, and Labas (or DeJean), and roll with him. Or get a young guy out of the portal. Are any of you excited about McNamara (or any other 1-year stopgap) coming in and running the same offense that Petras just ran?

Hit the portal hard to rebuild OL. Figure out whatever the Hell has gone wrong with that position over the past 2 years, and fix it.

Likewise, sell your program to young WR in the portal. Convince them everything will be different with this new OC, and they have a chance to help build the "New Iowa Hawkeyes."

And re-evaluate the "Iowa Way." There is lots of good there (personal responsibility, accountability, controlling what you can control, minimizing mistakes, etc.)...but a team afraid to make mistakes is going to have a low ceiling. We have to be willing to play young players through mistakes, we have to tolerate some risk. Sure, we will lose some games because of it (see Jeff Brohm), but we will also win because of it (see Jeff Brohm). There has to be some point on the spectrum between KF and Brohm that is more optimal than current.

It won't kill me to see the Hawkeyes lose next season, but it might kill me to see them lose in the exact same ways that have haunted them recently.
FYI, McNamara has two years of eligibility.

I believe Xavier himself was quoted to of said that playing at this level has been a surprise for him, I forget the exact words he used.

I honestly don't think he's going anywhere but we do know Oregon has been working over Proctor so perhaps they are trying to draw in his buddy. But is bribing a player on scholarship on another team allowed? Talking to players once they are in the portal is fair game but talking to players on another teams roster doesn't sound right at all.
We aren’t too far removed from certain collegiate programs getting caught setting up minor high schoolers with adult prostitutes. You can’t assume everyone is playing by the rules, whatever they might be.

Just as a matter of career prospects, the only way that’s a good move is if he’s not good enough to get a starting role. With Iowa’s history of getting DBs drafted there isn’t really a better place to be unless you aren’t playing.
Sometimes recruits don’t live up to the hype.

If he didn’t come in after DeJean got hurt and the next two guys both got TDs thrown on them, he might not be all that and a bag of chips anyway. Happens sometimes.

Hell, maybe proctor isn’t a P5 superstar, who knows? There’s a whole lot more to playing OL in the big boy leagues than being the size of Andre the Giant.

That would probably include at least one of our top three running backs, maybe all three.
I could see both Williams leaving. Kaleb looks like the clear #1 RB and word is Patterson has been looking good. LeShon and Gavin are both Sophmores so they could do a reset somewhere else and have solid careers.

Not only is ferentz going to sorely lose the trade your girlfriend for another game with players, it really doesn’t work whatsoever with his coaching style. This is gonna be the great unraveling of ferentz n ferentz

So…reading another board, The Swarm has gained over 100 new members/donors tonight.

There are also rumors that TE Colston Loveland will be coming from Michigan as well.

Not only is ferentz going to sorely lose the trade your girlfriend for another game with players, it really doesn’t work whatsoever with his coaching style. This is gonna be the great unraveling of ferentz n ferentz
You just keep trolling/bitching and changing your POV. Go bother some other poster board.

well, it seemed the world was coming to an end, the sky was falling and Iowa was sliding into the abyss. I was on that train. It seems different with Cade committed. I'm a bit surprised, but I'd rather be happy than right.

Latest posts