Changes I would make to college BB....

Ronco

Eliminate 2 FT after 10 fouls or raise the limit to 12 or 13 fouls. More 1 and 1's would be better, especially late in a close game.

Eliminate alternating possession. I'm torn on this, but I'm tired of refs using the jump ball as a bailout. They are too quick with the whistle and not letting players/teams establish possession before making the call.

I like the area the NBA has underneath the basket to eliminate bogus charge calls.

Shorten the shot clock... more possessions and higher scoring and less standing around.

Shortening the shot clock won't guarantee more scoring. The average scoring in a college game went down when the NCAA changed from a 45 second to a 35 second shot clock in the early 90's.

Yup. Charge circle would be nice as well. Less TO's for each team. Already have the TV TO's anyway.

I agree about the TO's. I say 3 per team.

I don't like the charge circle personally. If the player is out of control or puts his shoulder into the defender, I don't care where it happens, it should be a charge. I still think it needs to be the refs decision.

I agree about the TO's. I say 3 per team.

I don't like the charge circle personally. If the player is out of control or puts his shoulder into the defender, I don't care where it happens, it should be a charge. I still think it needs to be the refs decision.

This would be ideal.

But, there is already an un-official charge circle. Refs act like there is one there. And the dimensions for each circle varies from ref to ref. Take out the guess work on that and put in the circle if refs are going to make calls like there's one already there.

I would like to see the NCAA establish guidelines about these kids from prep schools. It seems unfair to programs that try to uphold some degree of academic standards to compete against teams that can get anyone in. I know it will never be a level playing field, but there are a lot of programs that make no effort to recruit student athletes. It is rent-a-player year after year.

I think college basketball needs a commissioner

I would also like the selection commitee to publish a top 70 every week

and something needs to be done about the charge rule

Move the 3pt line to double the distance it is now from the womens line. (not quite to NBA but closer). This would open up the court and make big men a bigger part of the game instead of it being so guard focused.

I wouldn't mind a charge circle.

If you have officials call the game as the rules read very few of the rules changes would be needed. If you have a position under the hoop and its your position its a charge if you move under its not.
The court would open up alot more if hand checking was called and the moving pick as well.
If you hit a guy during a shot its a foul but the number of times guys go up with a shooter at the three point line and end up going through him or knocking him down or brushing against as he goes up is astonishing. These were called regularly when the 3 came about now it seems very rare. The little nudges and knockdowns wear on the shooters and its the norm to bump them because the refs allow it.
More rules=more work for refs and less chance for them to get it right.
I've read Duff and several other refs saying how tough the job is etc. etc. well call the game in a controlled manner,understand that you are there to keep a level playing field AND be almost unnoticed is possible.
I don't think Ol' teddy is that bad of a ref. He gets things wrong just like they all do but he is too much into being a part of the "show" and I also think sometimes that attitude makes him come off pompous when he's solid on calls he actually ****** up.
A person can be confident and in charge without being an ***.

Agreed. Like to see the current rules enforced. Hand checking drives me nuts.

Oh, and with the way we shot FT's this season, how about the old ABA (?) rule. 3 to make 2.:D

Last edited:
Completely disagree with shortening the shot clock. I think it would really detract from the college game.

I would certainly add the charge semi-circle. Why they haven't done it by now is plain stupid.

I would extend the 3 point line to the Int'l line.

I would get rid of hand checking all together. If the elbow is bent you are good, if you put your hand on the player its a foul - period.

Torn on the alternating possession. As we saw tonight, the official with the ball in his hands can dictate who ends up with the toss.

Start calling 3 seconds in the lane. You hardly ever see this called and it happens on nearly every trip down court.

I also like the shot clock at 35 seconds. It forces teams to actually play defense, something the NBA needs to worry about before it loses anymore fans than they already have. Also, I think 2 to's per half would be better for a total of 4. Than only 1 in OT. It would allow for teams to be able to stop a run or save them for the end of a close game. But TV to's make it seem like theres one way too often.

Get rid of the use it or lose it timeout rule. It is stupid to lose a timeout because the coach doesn't need to take one in the first 1/2. If they want to carry it over, let them.

Latest posts