CHA Attendance

HuckFinn

Iowa: Was 24th nationally in attendance in 2022-2023. It was Iowa’s 10th straight season in the top 30.

Attendance Leaders By Conference in 2022-2023: BT was # 1 at 12,063 average attendance per game across the conference. Iowa that year averaged above the conference average @ 12,372 per game.

2022-2023: Iowa ranked 24th nationally In D-1. Iowa State, 22nd. Indiana 6th, Illinois 9th, WI 11th, Maryland 13th, Purdue 14th, MSU 25th, Michigan 27th, Nebraska 28th, OSU 30th.

No point in looking at 2023-2024 until season’s end.

Yeah. Facts are confusing. Numbers are really hard. Just for the record, I did not go out to load the gun. I had no idea what the numbers would tell us. Frankly, I was a bit surprised. The source was the source. I certainly did not see all the numbers as favorable to Iowa. 6 of the teams I reported were ranked higher than Iowa. Guess I should have left those out and made us look better. There is just no way, I guess, to have a reasonable conversation with so many HN posters. Thank you HN, for the “ignore” button.

Iowa: Was 24th nationally in attendance in 2022-2023. It was Iowa’s 10th straight season in the top 30.

Attendance Leaders By Conference in 2022-2023: BT was # 1 at 12,063 average attendance per game across the conference. Iowa that year averaged above the conference average @ 12,372 per game.

2022-2023: Iowa ranked 24th nationally In D-1. Iowa State, 22nd. Indiana 6th, Illinois 9th, WI 11th, Maryland 13th, Purdue 14th, MSU 25th, Michigan 27th, Nebraska 28th, OSU 30th.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?
My post grew out of a discussion about crowd size at CHA here on HN. Concerns that the men’s basketball program has failed to excite good attendance have been expressed by several posters. So, I commented that we should look at the attendance data across the BT so we could be accurate about our views.

I found a resource that addressed the question of how we are measuring up in the conference. I posted it. I changed nothing, left nothing out, made no interpretation comments.

In essence, I was not trying to “make” any point. Just gave you some numbers to consider if you are interested. Your call. What point were you trying to make?

Huck - if you think Iowa averaged of 12,000 fans in 2022 - you probably think Nebraska still has a sell out streak in football. Those are ticket sales. Iowa is not averaging even remotely close to 12k through the door. If you think that ISU averaged 21st most and Iowa the 24th most, you just don't watch games. Your numbers are bad and absolutely not an accurate dipiction of what the average crowd looks like for an Iowa home game. If Iowa really averaged that we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Iowa State students camp out for 2 days in the winter to get into Hilton. Iowa is averaging less than 100 students a game.

I don’t “think” anything. I know what the numbers mean…tickets not attendance. But, Iowa and Iowa St.’s rankings are both tickets sold, not attendance. I guess you can argue that Iowa’s data is skewed by more empty seats than the other top 25 on the list. Seems a bit risky, however.

I had no agenda when I collected the data. I had no idea, frankly, that we would be top 25. I was actually surprised. Never thought we would be that high. We have been in the top 30 for 10 consecutive years. That is a lot of data.

I have had season tickets for more years than I can recall, Good. So don’t tell me I don’t watch games. I am consistently in attendance, not just a season ticket holder.
Huck - if you think Iowa averaged of 12,000 fans in 2022 - you probably think Nebraska still has a sell out streak in football. Those are ticket sales. Iowa is not averaging even remotely close to 12k through the door. If you think that ISU averaged 21st most and Iowa the 24th most, you just don't watch games. Your numbers are bad and absolutely not an accurate dipiction of what the average crowd looks like for an Iowa home game. If Iowa really averaged that we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Iowa State students camp out for 2 days in the winter to get into Hilton. Iowa is averaging less than 100 students a game.
100? Come on.

I don’t “think” anything. I know what the numbers mean…tickets not attendance. But, Iowa and Iowa St.’s rankings are both tickets sold, not attendance. I guess you can argue that Iowa’s data is skewed by more empty seats than the other top 25 on the list. Seems a bit risky, however.

I had no agenda when I collected the data. I had no idea, frankly, that we would be top 25. I was actually surprised. Never thought we would be that high. We have been in the top 30 for 10 consecutive years. That is a lot of data.

I have had season tickets for more years than I can recall, Good. So don’t tell me I don’t watch games. I am consistently in attendance, not just a season ticket holder.

100? Come on.
Huck - that is where Harty has more than several times, guesstimated our student sections when school was in. You are at the games, so I trust you more than Pat Harty any day of the week. He said there was less than 50 for the Maryland game.

Yeah I'm seeing a pretty large discrepancy between those tickets sold #s and butts in the seats as others have noted. So what I take away from that is who are these people with more $ to spend then time on their hands to go? For so many people to spend that kind of $ on tickets and not go very often is pretty wild to me. I can see missing a game here and there for different life related reasons. But just because the team wasn't quite what you hoped or whatever is pretty wild.

Yeah I'm seeing a pretty large discrepancy between those tickets sold #s and butts in the seats as others have noted. So what I take away from that is who are these people with more $ to spend then time on their hands to go? For so many people to spend that kind of $ on tickets and not go very often is pretty wild to me. I can see missing a game here and there for different life related reasons. But just because the team wasn't quite what you hoped or whatever is pretty wild.
I am also pretty sure they sell the tickets in bulk at discounted rates to different organizations that either use them or write that off. Still, wouldn't it be amazing if Iowa had a 12k average for basketball? Like, we wouldn't be talking about this if that were case

Which explains something I brought up in another post. Why do you never see shots of the Iowa student section in games played at Carver? If they average less than 100 students a game you've answered my question.

As @InGoodCo and MANY other people have already pointed out, the atmosphere in Carver, in regards to men’s basketball, has been a talking point for the last 20 years. I have no interest in repeating the same bullshit.

Carver isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon. Can anyone tell me how a 50-100 million dollar renovation to Carver will make a difference? We all know the renovations are coming.

I guess when I used the term “attendance” all I did when I submitted my post was use the same terminology as the data base. Geez. Give them a call.
Huck - that is where Harty has more than several times, guesstimated our student sections when school was in. You are at the games, so I trust you more than Pat Harty any day of the week. He said there was less than 50 for the Maryland game.
He was ball park on the student count at the Maryland game. I have no idea why They didn’t come out. The student section was absolutely 90%+ full for Purdue, and loud. The games before Purdue, for a month, students were on break. I will try to pay attention down the road when the games are all BT.
Which explains something I brought up in another post. Why do you never see shots of the Iowa student section in games played at Carver? If they average less than 100 students a game you've answered my question.
If you think Iowa “averages” less than 100 students per game, you are totally out of touch. 100? Really? There are more than that in the damn pep band.

You guys need to take a stats course. I submitted data that is legit because we only had speculation about attendance at CHA. So now, the actual data is wrong because it is based on ticket sales rather than a fuckin’ head count, which is totally impossible to track.

News flash: All of the available data ranks BT teams attendance based on ticket sales, not actual attendance. Duh. So, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, and all the rest are ranked based on tickets. Not actual attendance. Half a dozen BT teams are ranked higher than Iowa nationally. And, the BT has the best ticket sales for men’s basketball in the entire D-1 world. Google it, for god’s sake.

Some of you who did not pass or even take Stats 101 don’t get it. Apparently, you have concluded that a bunch, or even all of the other BT teams, have butts in the seats equal to ticket sales, but Iowa doesn’t. In fact, since all of the teams, BT and nationally, are ranked in accordance to ticket sales, Iowa comes out ranked 24th Nationally. And, top 30 for ten consecutive years. Therefore, because all of the teams are ranked in accordance with the same measure, the data is clear.

Of course, you can continue with your bias and assume that ticket sales have no real relationship to actual attendance. But be aware. If that is true for Iowa, it must be true for everyone else in the country.

I am done with this shit until someone on HN comes up with a better measure. As some of you are fond of saying, “If you don’t understand, I don’t know what else to tell you.”

Last edited:
I guess when I used the term “attendance” all I did when I submitted my post was use the same terminology as the data base. Geez. Give them a call.

He was ball park on the student count at the Maryland game. I have no idea why They didn’t come out. The student section was absolutely 90%+ full for Purdue, and loud. The games before Purdue, for a month, students were on break. I will try to pay attention down the road when the games are all BT.

If you think Iowa “averages” less than 100 students per game, you are totally out of touch. 100? Really? There are more than that in the damn pep band.

You guys need to take a stats course. I submitted data that is legit because we only had speculation about attendance at CHA. So now, the actual data is wrong because it is based on ticket sales rather than a fuckin’ head count, which is totally impossible to track.

News flash: All of the available data ranks BT teams attendance based on ticket sales, not actual attendance. Duh. So, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, and all the rest are ranked based on tickets. Not actual attendance. Half a dozen BT teams are ranked higher than Iowa nationally. And, the BT has the best ticket sales for men’s basketball in the entire D-1 world. Google it, for god’s sake.

Some of you who did not pass or even take Stats 101 don’t get it. Apparently, you have concluded that a bunch, or even all of the other BT teams, have butts in the seats equal to ticket sales, but Iowa doesn’t. In fact, since all of the teams, BT and nationally, are ranked in accordance to ticket sales, Iowa comes out ranked 24th Nationally. And, top 30 for ten consecutive years. Therefore, because all of the teams are ranked in accordance with the same measure, the data is clear.

Of course, you can continue with your bias and assume that ticket sales have no real relationship to actual attendance. But be aware. If that is true for Iowa, it must be true for everyone else in the country.

I am done with this shit until someone on HN comes up with a better measure. As some of you are fond of saying, “If you don’t understand, I don’t know what else to tell you.”
I'll be there on the seventeenth. I'll be able to see for myself. I can still tell you that in Carver games on TV there are almost never camera shots of students section and I don't know why that strikes such a nerve with several posters.

Maybe it's the location of the section. They don't show Wisconsin's "Grateful Red" section that much either.

I didn't bother with Stats 101. I had no interest in actuarial science though perhaps I should have. It's not a bad way to make a living.

Last edited:

Huck, please dude. Telling us how we don't know how to read stats my guy? I realize that the data on sold tickets is correct, what I am saying is that the actual # in attendance is not. You have to realize that more than anyone as someone who's at every game. I am sure that it's like that at EVERY school. Nearly impossible to pack every seat sold right? I know that. But, I've been Creighton. I've been to Nebraska. I've been to IL. I've been to ISU. All within the last 5 years. They're at near capacity for every game and that's when the students are out, that's when they play Roast Beef State, it's nearly every game.

There's no question that Iowa does not have an average of 12,000 fans in the stands for games. That would mean that it's typically over 3/4 full. That's what I am saying. I don't give a rip about ticket sales. You can take those stats and throw them in the trash because in Iowa's case, ticket sales does not equal the crowd in the stands. Ya don't need stats that pump up your numbers, you HAVE EYE BALLS!

For the Purdue game, when everything lined up perfect, yes, they drew a great crowd. I don't understand why Iowa doesn't draw either and it's not a new issue. I'm not going to throw out ticket sales and then say "hey, look the data says we're 24th in the nation, what's there to talk about?" /// you are at the games, you know how many people are there and it sure as heck isn't 12,000 very often.

Last edited:
f you think Iowa “averages” less than 100 students per game, you are totally out of touch. 100? Really? There are more than that in the damn pep band.
Ya know Huck, I don't count the pep band because that's mandatory that they attend. Should we count all the assistants, the ushers? Should we count the players and the refs too? I got the 100 # from several podcasts I listen to, which I just typically assume that guys who run the Hawk beat like Chad Leistikow, Pat Harty, Tom Kakert and such are being truthful about the attendance. I actually trust you as much as them - but I'm a little leary to because you can't see the obvious here and are telling us we don't know how to read stats lol. Like, come on dude.

Last edited:
1706660809685.png

I got my ICE-CREAM.......the wife and I love the short lines and small crowds at Carver. More ICE-CREAM for us....and my wife can knit without all that pesky shouting going on.

Per Gazette article

Iowa’s listed attendance average of 9,712 fans per home game ranks 10th out of the 14 teams in the Big Ten. Data obtained by The Gazette via public records requests paints an even bleaker picture about men’s basketball turnout.

In Iowa’s13 home men’s basketball games so far — 12 regular-season games and one preseason exhibition — the Hawkeyes averaged 5,202 tickets scanned per game.

That equates to a mere 35 percent occupancy of 14,998-seat Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

A major winter storm in January led to a season-low 1,351 fans at the Iowa-Nebraska game, but even if you exclude that game, the average would be only 5,523.

The Ohio State game had 6,875 tickets scanned, according to Iowa Athletics.

To McCaffery’s point, weekend home games have experienced better turnout than weeknight home games. Iowa’s weeknight games have averaged 3,303 tickets scanned versus 6,390 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday games.

Wow. Certainly worse by far than I thought. Appreciate the data. Did not know scanned ticket numbers were available.

Latest posts