CFP Ranking prediction thread

I completely disagree. I don't think the process is garbage at all.

You can't do auto bids for conference champions....this isn't an "invitational" time tournament we're talking about here like the NCAA BB tourney. This is a playoff to match the Top 4 teams in the country against each other. Are you trying to tell me that the Wisconsin team that won the B1G a few years back at 8-5 would have any place whatsoever in a playoff? No way.

And I don't think the committee is forgetting Oklahoma's loss at all. But just like wins can't be looked at in a vacuum, neither can losses. As Iowa fans, we know firsthand that rivalry games can sometime bring out the best (or worst) in one of the teams. The Iowa team of 2002, by the end of the year, was playing probably the best football in the country at the time. But we had a loss to Iowa State. Are you saying that a team can't amend for an early season loss by basically destroying every other team on their schedule and still be considered one of the 4 best teams in the country? This Oklahoma team reminds me an awful lot of the Iowa team from 2002....inexplicable loss to a rival, followed by a complete a$$-whooping of every other team on their schedule. If they finish the year by beating a ranked Baylor, TCU and Okie State, they definitely deserve to be considered.....a loss to Texas notwithstanding.

It's conceivable that we may end up the year with no undefeated P5 teams. NC has the firepower to hang with, and beat, Clemson. Both Iowa and OSU are certainly vulnerable. Okie State still has Baylor and Oklahoma to contend with. And if we do, then everyones wins AND losses will be up for scrutiny.....but it's obvious that the committee is putting more emphasis on the sum of a team's quality wins, than they are one Saturday where they may have stubbed their toe. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that process at all.

How is a bad team getting beat in the playoffs going to set anything back at all? It happens all the time in the NFL, is that sport hurting? There have been several NFL wildcard teams that win the Super Bowl, does that ruin the playoffs? Just imagine if the NFL tried to pick only its top 2 teams, and didn't have division winners, etc. Not only that, but your example is a once every 10 year example, it won't happen very often, but if it does, so be it.

If they aren't going to expand the playoffs, they need to go to 4 conferences, then it would be fine. If they aren't they need to allow every conference champ into the playoffs.

I know we differ on this Rico, I know you I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. The current system as constituted will always be about the team name on the front of the jersey, A 1 loss UNC or 1 loss Iowa, or TCU, or Baylor will never ever get into the playoffs when the committee has a 1 loss Bama, OSU, USC, Texas, ND or other blue blood to pick from. SOS wont' matter, "quality wins" won't matter, it will always be about the name on the jersey.

Wisconsin may not have deserved a spot in a top 4, but they deserved a spot in the playoffs Dean is talking about that allows a spot for all power 5 conference champions. Wisconsin played their way in by winning their division and winning the championship game. Kentucky was the best team in basketball last year but they lost in the playoff. In football, the entire season is a playoff. As far as Oklahoma goes, they may deserve a spot, just not at the expense of an undefeated team.

This is just it. The system right now, it doesn't matter if you lose if you have the right name on your jersey......95% of teams don't have the luxury. Why are we rigging the system for the blue bloods, it makes no sense???

If the conference champs determine the playoffs, then ever week matters much more and you follow every conference, every division. Right now the Pac12 would be tons of fun, as the last 2 weeks will decide everything. Now instead we got talking heads telling us the Pac12 is out. Same with the ACC, only Clemson need apply. Same with the Big12, forget you TCU if crazy stuff happens and you win out and other lose and you win the Big12.

It could be soooooo much more exciting if we had 1 more playoff spot, and didn't have this bullsh!t committee.

How is a bad team getting beat in the playoffs going to set anything back at all? It happens all the time in the NFL, is that sport hurting? There have been several NFL wildcard teams that win the Super Bowl, does that ruin the playoffs? Just imagine if the NFL tried to pick only its top 2 teams, and didn't have division winners, etc. Not only that, but your example is a once every 10 year example, it won't happen very often, but if it does, so be it.

If they aren't going to expand the playoffs, they need to go to 4 conferences, then it would be fine. If they aren't they need to allow every conference champ into the playoffs.

I know we differ on this Rico, I know you I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. The current system as constituted will always be about the team name on the front of the jersey, A 1 loss UNC or 1 loss Iowa, or TCU, or Baylor will never ever get into the playoffs when the committee has a 1 loss Bama, OSU, USC, Texas, ND or other blue blood to pick from. SOS wont' matter, "quality wins" won't matter, it will always be about the name on the jersey.

I certainly appreciate your passion! :D

So the only thing we can do about it is sweep these last two and then win in Indy. And then we'll be the first non-blue blood to crash the CFP party!!

My complaints aren't about this year and Iowa. If they win the conference they will be in. That couldn't be said for the Big12 last year, the Pac12 this year, and the ACC this year if UNC wins the ACC championship game.

To say that winning your conference doesn't get you into the playoffs goes against every single playoff formate that sports have ever used. This current college football playoff system is crap, and it needs to go away and soon.

Winning your division in the nba doesn't get you to the playoffs.

If there are any sports that need a bigger playoff it would be college sports because there are a lot of teams. In college football they try to determine the champion out of 128 teams based off a season of 12-15 games with teams playing very different schedules. It's a flawed system for determining the best. Then again, sports playoffs aren't really about determining the best.

Latest posts