CFB Playoff Thread

Washington wins the first spot in CFB Playoffs.
If MI wins, they're in.
FSU wins they're in.
If Texas wins, and Alabama beats Georgia, who gets the last spot?
FSU 12-0 ACC champ earned a spot.
Can’t put GA ahead of Bama.
Can’t put Bama ahead of TX

Last edited:
Bama is in. And that and the Michigan win absolutely slam the door on OSU. Though I think Alabama winning in itself slammed the door on OSU

I have no doubt that Florida State is more than deserving. I just think that knocking off mighty Georgia, winning the SEC, and school pedigree is going to give Alabama a lot of late momentum. And to think that none of this is even a discussion if Alabama doesn't pull out the Auburn game on fourth and the length of Billy Gibbons' beard.

How far dows Georgia fall? Does FSU supplant THEM? Going to be a wild afternoon for sure.

I have no doubt that Florida State is more than deserving. I just think that knocking off mighty Georgia, winning the SEC, and school pedigree is going to give Alabama a lot of late momentum. And to think that none of this is even a discussion if Alabama doesn't pull out the Auburn game on fourth and the length of Billy Gibbons' beard.

How far dows Georgia fall? Does FSU supplant THEM? Going to be a wild afternoon for sure.

If we are talking about the four best teams then Alabama should be in. If we are talking about the four teams that deserve to get in FSU should be included.

It depends on your own personal philosophy: Do you want the four best teams or the four most deserving? The line between best and deserving is very murky.

If we are talking about the four best teams then Alabama should be in. If we are talking about the four teams that deserve to get in FSU should be included.

It depends on your own personal philosophy: Do you want the four best teams or the four most deserving? The line between best and deserving is very murky.
The committee chair has said specifically it’s about the “best” teams and not the most deserving. Which seems like bullshit, but he was super clear on this point.

To me that says AL and TX are in, FSU is not.

The committee chair has said specifically it’s about the “best” teams and not the most deserving. Which seems like bullshit, but he was super clear on this point.

To me that says AL and TX are in, FSU is not.

Yeah, if you put Bama in then you have to include Texas.

1. I called the top four.
2. I'm disappointed that I was correct that the committee would select Bama over FSU. A 13-0 P5 champ should be an auto bid. That secures three spots. Final spot should've been between Texas and Alabama. Nod should then go to Texas with the head-to-head win. This is a great example of why we need objective criteria and tie breakers. In a world where lossless P5 conference champs get auto bids, followed by conference champs with the best records for the remaining spots, this is an easy one. Instead, we get the Alabama brand beating the FSU brand. The state of college football is just disgusting.

1. I called the top four.
2. I'm disappointed that I was correct that the committee would select Bama over FSU. A 13-0 P5 champ should be an auto bid. That secures three spots. Final spot should've been between Texas and Alabama. Nod should then go to Texas with the head-to-head win. This is a great example of why we need objective criteria and tie breakers. In a world where lossless P5 conference champs get auto bids, followed by conference champs with the best records for the remaining spots, this is an easy one. Instead, we get the Alabama brand beating the FSU brand. The state of college football is just disgusting.
Totally agree.
SEC bias strikes again.

What happens if Jordan Travis doesn’t get hurt? Is FSU still left out?

Does this expedite FSU to the SEC?

Next year, this won't happen.

As you know, in statistics, the larger the sample size, the bias is mitigated.

I think the committee started with the belief that the SEC had to get a spot.
Since that was Bama, they then had to include TX, who beat AL.
Im actually surprised they didn't bump TX for GA

Fair.

FSU
Michigan
Washington
Texas

We all know that should be the four. But it doesn’t matter, moving forward we will be debating if a 10-2 squad, in the B1G or SEC deserves to be an 8th seed or not.

I dunno...I'd have to ask my actuarial science sophomore....

But I think it makes it worse. But I bet if we all listed our 12th place team....we would have 5-6 different answers. By the time you get down that far you're gonna have several different Alabama/Texas/FSU situations. Not one.

Yes, you mitigate by muting some of the national bitching because most of the country isn't gonna care that Oklahoma gets snubbed out at 13. But I bet Oklahoma fans care, just like we would when it happens to us.

I dunno why this is so damn hard.
6/8/12 conferences.
Re-rearrange the conferences.
6/8/12 conference champions are crowned.
There's your playoff teams.

Do with the FCS as you please. I don't really care if we have "crap games" on TV with Liberty making the playoffs. We're crowning a champion.

Who wants to see the Rangers and Diamondbacks in the WS? Nobody. But they're the ones who earned it by winning the games. Everything else is like the MLB or NFL picking wild card teams based on arbitrary rankings. Wild cards are stupid blatant money grabs anyway. 130 teams. Ain't no room for wildcards.

Whole thing is a joke. Always has been. I'm fine going back to letting the sports writers pick the mythical winner. Long term the national title is bad for college football. Especially with this kind of nonsense.

Latest posts