CFB Heading Towards Selection Committee?

Then they have proven on the field that they deserve a shot at the title.
haha, that is ridiculous. How has that 4 loss team proved on the field that they are deserving of a shot at the title? Because they upset a team in the conference championship game?

You do realize this is how every other major sports tourney is decided right? By the way, the 2010 Green Bay Packers say hi. Some of you just arent very smart.

You do realize this is how every other major sports tourney is decided right? By the way, the 2010 Green Bay Packers say hi. Some of you just arent very smart.

The Packers qualified for the playoffs under NFL rules. If they were only choosing 4 teams to compete for the title, as we were discussing when I made my post, they would not have made the playoffs.

When the field is as small as 4 teams the only way to do it is based off resumes and not auto conference bids. Try and follow along cramps.

The only playoff I'm interested in is one that has the top 6 conference champions + Top 2 at large teams.

The Bowl System is what has made college football different from all the other sports and other levels of football. By going to a playoff system you are getting away from what has made the sport so successful. If I want to watch college football playoffs then I will watch UNI or Wartburg. I enjoy the bowl system where teams from different conferences play each other, usually in a vacation spot. Maybe I could care less who won the Poinsettia Bowl but I did care who won the Insight Bowl and I enjoy watching the other B1G schools. You go to a playoff system and it will ruin the bowl system. Like I said earlier you go to a 4 team playoff then it won't be fair to the 5th place team, so on and so forth until you get a huge playoff system. Stick with the BCS and go to a plus one, everything else stays in tact and you keep college football unique.

I'm with this guy. The game is slowly being ripped from what made it so popular in the first place. If the change the system I may never get to see my Hawks play in the Rose Bowl.

The NFL has a playoff, they seem to be doing alright.

The NFL has 32 teams. If you want the P12 and the B1G to go to 16 teams each and have a playoff, it would be a realistic comparison. :rolleyes:

Again, any system that doesn't start from conference realignment and in-conference playoffs will be a failed system. Build number of games played against teams in some kind of RPI type ranking into the equation and let conferences have two rounds of playoffs.

If you can develop a program that is financially viable for a major conference, develop a system whereby those conferences can benefit by expansion. If you can't make yourself financially viable for one of those conferences, then you won't be one of the big players at the end because of strength of schedule.

However, the NCAA could also appease these small conferences by requiring the major conferences play against a non major conference each year. So, for instance, the B1G plays the MAC, SEC plays SBC. P12 plays MWC, B12 plays CUSA, ACC plays BE. Set em up like the B1G ACC challenge. That would give you an idea of competitive balance across the conferences.

Last edited:
The NFL has 32 teams. If you want the P12 and the B1G to go to 16 teams each and have a playoff, it would be a realistic comparison. :rolleyes:

Again, any system that doesn't start from conference realignment and in-conference playoffs will be a failed system. Build number of games played against teams in some kind of RPI type ranking into the equation and let conferences have two rounds of playoffs.

If you can develop a program that is financially viable for a major conference, develop a system whereby those conferences can benefit by expansion. If you can't make yourself financially viable for one of those conferences, then you won't be one of the big players at the end because of strength of schedule.

However, the NCAA could also appease these small conferences by requiring the major conferences play against a non major conference each year. So, for instance, the B1G plays the MAC, SEC plays SBC. P12 plays MWC, B12 plays CUSA, ACC plays BE. Set em up like the B1G ACC challenge. That would give you an idea of competitive balance across the conferences.

That's a giant turd-pile of ideas.

Seriously, if you want college football to be something else, just watch something else instead. Don't **** up the sport.

I'm surprised so many people honestly are worried that the bowl system will go away. There is absolutely no chance of that happening in the near or even medium range future. Perhaps in the distant future, but even that is unlikely. The people in charge of college football LOVE the bowl system, and most fans do as well. The bowls aren't going anywhere. This is just a better way to solve the national championship by including 2 more teams into the discussion. Could it increase beyond 4 some day? Sure. But it won't happy anytime soon. It took 15 years of complaining about the BCS to finally get to a real playoff. I think most people will cool down and be happy with this progress and 4 is where it will remain for a long time.

Also as for a selection committee, I am ok with it as long as there is complete and total transparency, and you don't get some committee head saying "well when you looked at the body of work, we just like Oregon better". There needs to be real concrete information provided on why those 4 teams were selected, and they need to provide weekly updates heading down the last few weeks of the season so teams and fans have an idea of where they stand. Barry Alvarez alluded to this as a possibility in a recent interview.

Also as for a selection committee, I am ok with it as long as there is complete and total transparency, and you don't get some committee head saying "well when you looked at the body of work, we just like Oregon better". There needs to be real concrete information provided on why those 4 teams were selected, and they need to provide weekly updates heading down the last few weeks of the season so teams and fans have an idea of where they stand. Barry Alvarez alluded to this as a possibility in a recent interview.

that's not going to happen.

Maybe not, but it's being discussed.

The selection committee could provide weekly updates once the conference seasons begin, thus eliminating the undue influence of preseason polls. It's been suggested committee deliberations be televised live so that nothing is concealed.

Read more: College football: Alvarez says media should be in BCS equation : Sports

Things are discussed and suggested all the time. The idea that committee 'deliberations' be televised is one of the dumbest things that's been suggested. There's no way it would happen.

I'm surprised so many people honestly are worried that the bowl system will go away. There is absolutely no chance of that happening in the near or even medium range future. Perhaps in the distant future, but even that is unlikely. The people in charge of college football LOVE the bowl system, and most fans do as well. The bowls aren't going anywhere. This is just a better way to solve the national championship by including 2 more teams into the discussion. Could it increase beyond 4 some day? Sure. But it won't happy anytime soon. It took 15 years of complaining about the BCS to finally get to a real playoff. I think most people will cool down and be happy with this progress and 4 is where it will remain for a long time.

Fans complaining has nothing to do with the move to playoff. The people in charge of college football love money. They are starting to see the dollar signs of a playoff. And its like Pandora's Box, once opened it won't be shut. If the 3 playoff games bring in huge ratings and sellouts (which they will) the boys in control will seek more and will expand very quickly.

Bowl supporters have a right to worried. Ratings and attendance for bowl games outside the Rose Bowl and BCS title game are not good. If ratings and attendance for the playoff games are, that is a bad combo for bowl peeps.

Sports tourneys are decided by tournaments? No wai! Hey, if you like those tourney tournaments so much, you should watch those sports.

So you're saying that college football needs to get with the times like MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and the NCAA basketball tournament?

Not sure how you glean that from my posts. I've been pretty consistent. Try reading again.

Actually, all you have done is biatched about every idea brought up by anyone in this thread. Why don't you lay out your idea for us DuhWayne? :rolleyes: If you are looking to keep the status quo, I have news for ya - it ain't happenin' pal.

Fans complaining has nothing to do with the move to playoff. The people in charge of college football love money. They are starting to see the dollar signs of a playoff. And its like Pandora's Box, once opened it won't be shut. If the 3 playoff games bring in huge ratings and sellouts (which they will) the boys in control will seek more and will expand very quickly.

Bowl supporters have a right to worried. Ratings and attendance for bowl games outside the Rose Bowl and BCS title game are not good. If ratings and attendance for the playoff games are, that is a bad combo for bowl peeps.

The media and fans complaints ABSOLUTELY have a lot to do with why they are moving to a playoff. Don't pretend that the presidents and commissioners don't feel pressure from the media and fans. Money may be the biggest factor, but it wasn't the only factor.

Latest posts