Center

You bring up an interesting point that triggers a question. I wonder how many season ticket holders from the men's team ended up shifting over to the women's games? How many ticket holders that used to have them for the men now are buying women's instead of the men's for the foreseeable future.

Maybe there will be a shift back after the CC phenomenon.
Hopefully the success of CC will continue to draw the top women players year after year. I remember the down years for Alabama program before Saban came along. I have my suspicions as to how it changed so quick. I would love for the Iowa women’s basketball program to become a dynasty.

Lol, yep left out an “r”‘there. That’s a huge difference in meaning although they do play out of rhythm right now and some may compare that to running scared. It’s just going to be a learning experience this year and require patience and support on the part of the fans.

As usual I wish nothing but the best for the players and coaches. The more successful they are the more enjoyable it will be for the fans.

I have always hoped those same wishes for coaching staff and players of the football program. It’s unfortunate that things didn’t work out for Brian. It would have been one hell of legacy for Brian as there would have been that linage from Hayden to Kirk, to Brian. It just didn’t work out.

To be honest I am surprised that seemingly there is a high level on the forum here of dissatisfaction toward Fran. I wasn’t happy about post season performance but he did a fairly good job competing in the conference during the season. I just didn’t know that attendance was falling off like some have stated. The Big Ten Channel did a good job of concealing it during their broadcast.

As fans we should always want our team to do well even if there are times when the programs are struggling. I’ve had my frustrations with it but I always hoped for the best. I followed all the games when Lickliter was here and had hoped things would improve even though it was painful to watch it.
I'm bewildered by the dissatisfaction with Fran too. He's almost always had competitive teams, even against the top of the conference.

Kind of like your old car. Heater works great, good gas milage, gets you to and from work/school. Then you see that new shiny thing in the car lot........................

Owen Freeman is exactly a low post defender and rim protector. Didn't F McC start Luka from like Day One? Not a great defender or rebounder but a low post scoring machine and not a bad defender or rebounder, especially when he stayed low.

Frankly I think Owen will be a great at low post defense. Needs experience and physical growth but he looks like a naturally talented center.
I agree that he has the potential to be that guy in the future and will be a good low post defender and rim protector, but he's not there yet. I think it's unfair to him that he's being called out for not being that guy from day one, when it's not his fault that he's the only guy on the roster to fill that void. Fran needs to get away from his prototypical tall and lengthy perimeter shooters and bring in a guy that can bang down low night in and night out on a regular basis. There's a reason were soft in the paint and on the glass.

Hopefully the success of CC will continue to draw the top women players year after year. I remember the down years for Alabama program before Saban came along. I have my suspicions as to how it changed so quick. I would love for the Iowa women’s basketball program to become a dynasty.
Agree but CC is a generational player like we've never seen before. I think a very fair comparison is what Michael Jordan did for the men's game in the 1980's. He transcended the game and was a phenom, much like CC is now doing for the women's game.

CC if she would decide to come back would just absolutely obliterate about 3 records that I don't know how long it would take to pass her in the future. We throw around GOAT all the time but she would absolutely solidify her as the GOAT for women's basketball.

Last edited:
I don't see it as a matter of Fran whiffing on Freeman or Freeman failing to meet expectations. Freeman is a freshman and needs time to develop. The problem isn't one or two players, but the fact IMO that Fran has made it his priority to recruit players that are long and lengthy and can shoot from outside. This seems to be his priority and as we all know this comes from Fran's offensive philosophy of simply outscoring the opposition. The issue IMO is the fact that there's no emphasis to bring in rim protectors, rebounders, or players that are defenders first, because it simply isn't a priority to him. I think it's unfair to hold players such as Freeman or Krikke when they're both being thrown into a situation that's been ignored for quite a while.

Freeman is the least of my concern at this point. He's ballin' as a freshman and looks ahead of schedule.

Owen Freeman is exactly a low post defender and rim protector. Didn't F McC start Luka from like Day One? Not a great defender or rebounder but a low post scoring machine and not a bad defender or rebounder, especially when he stayed low.

Frankly I think Owen will be a great at low post defense. Needs experience and physical growth but he looks like a naturally talented center.

.....with a little forward athleticism and movement in him.

Now, he may be a bit undersized as a "true" center compared to some teams but he brings an active body with that frame that can offset just pure size and bulk. Even more impressive, he's not pressing as a freshman and letting the game be too big for him his freshman season. We very well may have the BIG 10 FOY on our team. Excited for him.

Kind of like your old car. Heater works great, good gas milage, gets you to and from work/school. Then you see that new shiny thing in the car lot........................
That’s a good analogy. Also reminds me of some marriages. On year 33 in my marriage so obviously I am not a new car shopper.

Curious about the “suspicions” you had…..was it the matching Porsches in the Bama athletic dorm parking lot that gave it away?

.....with a little forward athleticism and movement in him.

Now, he may be a bit undersized as a "true" center compared to some teams but he brings an active body with that frame that can offset just pure size and bulk. Even more impressive, he's not pressing as a freshman and letting the game be too big for him his freshman season. We very well may have the BIG 10 FOY on our team. Excited for him.
I think 6'10" is tall enough for most BIG centers. I mean you do have the freakishly tall Ming the Merciless at Purdue. Those big guys will also have to guard an aggressive and quicker player, who is already showing himself light on his feet.

We can never forget he tore a basket support out of a brick wall on a monster dunk in HS. Some day a BIG defender is going to be in an Owen Freeman monster jam poster.

I think 6'10" is tall enough for most BIG centers. I mean you do have the freakishly tall Ming the Merciless at Purdue. Those big guys will also have to guard an aggressive and quicker player, who is already showing himself light on his feet.

We can never forget he tore a basket support out of a brick wall on a monster dunk in HS. Some day a BIG defender is going to be in an Owen Freeman monster jam poster.

I think he's fine for his size. He's not a bulky 6' 10" at this point and he may never be. Again, he kind of has a forward game to him with his athleticism. I think many teams have a 6" 11" to 7' player anymore. Not 7' 4" like at Purdue. That's the outlier.

I think he's fine for his size. He's not a bulky 6' 10" at this point and he may never be. Again, he kind of has a forward game to him with his athleticism. I think many teams have a 6" 11" to 7' player anymore. Not 7' 4" like at Purdue. That's the outlier.
Yeah Freeman is listed at 235 one place I saw. If he could get up to 250ish and get stronger look out. He's the biggest bright spot on the team as far as a glimmer of hope goes. If he can get any kind of midrange shot like Krike has added to his game he could be a stud for the next 3 yrs big time

Yeah Freeman is listed at 235 one place I saw. If he could get up to 250ish and get stronger look out. He's the biggest bright spot on the team as far as a glimmer of hope goes. If he can get any kind of midrange shot like Krike has added to his game he could be a stud for the next 3 yrs big time
Yep. I do notice the connection with him and Harding when Harding is in. That helps. I think Brock could turn into a really good PG once his shot gets more consistent and he can stretch the D more with that. I think he has good handles and great vision once a defender comes out on him and he drives.

I look forward to watch his progression. He's had some nifty passes already but will those happen in the BIG play?

Yep. I do notice the connection with him and Harding when Harding is in. That helps. I think Brock could turn into a really good PG once his shot gets more consistent and he can stretch the D more with that. I think he has good handles and great vision once a defender comes out on him and he drives.

I look forward to watch his progression. He's had some nifty passes already but will those happen in the BIG play?
Yeah Harding is still feeling out how he'll try to play at this level. His shot selection is spotty. I'd like to see him and Bowen both throw caution to the wind and be aggressive with shooting. They both can create for themselves (only ones that can off the dribble) so just do it. Harding has shown he can do that 8 foot floater shot off the dribble that's so tough to do. The Mark Jackson Tear drop shot. He can get that kind of look a lot I bet so if he can kinda perfect that and do it more that'd open up things for others too.

Latest posts