Center

BILLYBOBSTEXAS

Is it Frans scheme? Total whiff in recruiting? Even the senior transfer cannot seem to defend very will. Mulvey is redshirting but doesn't anything special. Athletes needed more than three point shooters it seems.

Is it Frans scheme? Total whiff in recruiting? Even the senior transfer cannot seem to defend very will. Mulvey is redshirting but doesn't anything special. Athletes needed more than three point shooters it seems.
Yes your right no defense under the basket slow feet freeman will be pretty good he needs to Hit the weights & they need a big forward going forward Patrick should be on Bench

You know who Iowa needs. They need a player like Iowa State's Robert Jones. Just a big athletic body who can rebound and block shots. He can solidify the inside.

Total whiff in recruiting. How could you even formulate that thought?

My observations as well......as usual par for the course.....Iowa lacks a true center....and is still struggling in the guard play department.

My observations as well......as usual par for the course.....Iowa lacks a true center....and is still struggling in the guard play department.
Hawk 56 you hit nail on the head no true center & PGs bowens can get to basket but not a lot of outside shooting we do got some good shooters but have to have better ball movement against good defensive teams this may come they are a young team for the most part.

It could be a long winter as this team struggles and tries to develop individual roles and a team identity. However watching that process to see which players will rise to the occasion could be fun in and of itself.

I think the best thing is to just enjoy this process and cheer for the individual improvements of each player. Hopefully time will develop this team and program into a team with war scared veterans (minus a defection here and there) that we one day be battle ready.

It could be a long winter as this team struggles and tries to develop individual roles and a team identity. However watching that process to see which players will rise to the occasion could be fun in and of itself.

I think the best thing is to just enjoy this process and cheer for the individual improvements of each player. Hopefully time will develop this team and program into a team with war scared veterans (minus a defection here and there) that we one day be battle ready.
It’s is a process for Iowa but other teams just reload in the portal with more athleticism. Iowa does have recruiting problems I think but we will see . Hope I’m wrong and they get it together.

Well BigD, no defense to be found. Hawks were abused around the rim, then from the arc. The only fun thing to watch was Fran getting a red face, then getting tossed.

Well BigD, no defense to be found. Hawks were abused around the rim, then from the arc. The only fun thing to watch was Fran getting a red face, then getting tossed.
It’s really sad to hear people talk about the empty seats. I remember the old field house being full each night back in the 70’s.

I will say the camera man does a good job of hiding the low turnouts.

Fran had done a good job recently with controlling his temper around the officials. I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t a bleed over affect from other sports programs causing a lack of enthusiasm? Of course excluding the women’s basketball team. We better figure it out fast as when Kate is gone things will go back to normal there as well.

It’s really sad to hear people talk about the empty seats. I remember the old field house being full each night back in the 70’s.

I will say the camera man does a good job of hiding the low turnouts.

Fran had done a good job recently with controlling his temper around the officials. I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t a bleed over affect from other sports programs causing a lack of enthusiasm? Of course excluding the women’s basketball team. We better figure it out fast as when Kate is gone things will go back to normal there as well.

You bring up an interesting point that triggers a question. I wonder how many season ticket holders from the men's team ended up shifting over to the women's games? How many ticket holders that used to have them for the men now are buying women's instead of the men's for the foreseeable future.

Maybe there will be a shift back after the CC phenomenon.

I hope scarred and not scared :)

I don't see it as a matter of Fran whiffing on Freeman or Freeman failing to meet expectations. Freeman is a freshman and needs time to develop. The problem isn't one or two players, but the fact IMO that Fran has made it his priority to recruit players that are long and lengthy and can shoot from outside. This seems to be his priority and as we all know this comes from Fran's offensive philosophy of simply outscoring the opposition. The issue IMO is the fact that there's no emphasis to bring in rim protectors, rebounders, or players that are defenders first, because it simply isn't a priority to him. I think it's unfair to hold players such as Freeman or Krikke when they're both being thrown into a situation that's been ignored for quite a while.

Owen Freeman is exactly a low post defender and rim protector. Didn't F McC start Luka from like Day One? Not a great defender or rebounder but a low post scoring machine and not a bad defender or rebounder, especially when he stayed low.

Frankly I think Owen will be a great at low post defense. Needs experience and physical growth but he looks like a naturally talented center.

I hope scarred and not scared :)
Lol, yep left out an “r”‘there. That’s a huge difference in meaning although they do play out of rhythm right now and some may compare that to running scared. It’s just going to be a learning experience this year and require patience and support on the part of the fans.

As usual I wish nothing but the best for the players and coaches. The more successful they are the more enjoyable it will be for the fans.

I have always hoped those same wishes for coaching staff and players of the football program. It’s unfortunate that things didn’t work out for Brian. It would have been one hell of legacy for Brian as there would have been that linage from Hayden to Kirk, to Brian. It just didn’t work out.

To be honest I am surprised that seemingly there is a high level on the forum here of dissatisfaction toward Fran. I wasn’t happy about post season performance but he did a fairly good job competing in the conference during the season. I just didn’t know that attendance was falling off like some have stated. The Big Ten Channel did a good job of concealing it during their broadcast.

As fans we should always want our team to do well even if there are times when the programs are struggling. I’ve had my frustrations with it but I always hoped for the best. I followed all the games when Lickliter was here and had hoped things would improve even though it was painful to watch it.

Latest posts