Center Court Scoreboard

Why doesn't Iowa have a center court scoreboard complete with video screens, etc? Is it something structurally with Carver? This would be a nice addition.

Bueller?

I do remember in the early nineties talk that certain bands couldn't play there because the ceiling wasn't strong enough to support the PAs.

That said, Carver is a near masterpiece and shouldn't be tarnished with one of those ugly things. In my opinion.

I do remember in the early nineties talk that certain bands couldn't play there because the ceiling wasn't strong enough to support the PAs.

That said, Carver is a near masterpiece and shouldn't be tarnished with one of those ugly things. In my opinion.

In my opinion, Carver cannot be considered a masterpiece simply because the fans are too far from the court.

I understand that the design may have been necessary due to the multiple purposes for which Carver is utilized, but it is a significant detractor for me.

In my opinion, Carver cannot be considered a masterpiece simply because the fans are too far from the court.

I understand that the design may have been necessary due to the multiple purposes for which Carver is utilized, but it is a significant detractor for me.

Understand criticisms. Carver's still my favorite building in the world.

Understand criticisms. Carver's still my favorite building in the world.

And someplace, there is a person who wistfully fawns on Tropicana Field as their favorite building in the world. That criteria alone does not make it a premium venue to watch athletics. For a modern, multi-use arena, Carver-Hawkeye arena is an abject design failure. It is awkward as a sports venue, it is mediocre as a concert venue, it is not particularly fan friendly, and has bizarre acoustics.

It does have magnificent restroom facilities, however.

Agreed. I love it, I love it, I love it.................maidrite.

And someplace, there is a person who wistfully fawns on Tropicana Field as their favorite building in the world. That criteria alone does not make it a premium venue to watch athletics. For a modern, multi-use arena, Carver-Hawkeye arena is an abject design failure. It is awkward as a sports venue, it is mediocre as a concert venue, it is not particularly fan friendly, and has bizarre acoustics.

BTW, how is it "awkward as a sports venue"?

Aesthetically more pleasing for sure, but, significantly less noisy than the old field house.

That said, I'd be happy to see CHA upgrade from their eye-bleeding analog screens to digital ones.

The current ones appeal mightily to Seth Brundle.

Hmmm...could they go at it like a football stadium and put a video board on each end or would that mess with the shooting background? Or would they be high enough not to?

BTW, how is it "awkward as a sports venue"?

Too many fans too far from the court with the oval bowl design coming down to the court. Loss of court side seating to aisles extending from pavilion level to floor. No structure in roof to support contemporary audio, visual, other equipment for games, other events.

They need to put up some plexiglass at the concourse level just above the seats to force the sound back into the arena area. (My unscientific plan to increase the home court advantage.)

Aesthetically more pleasing for sure, but, significantly less noisy than the old field house.

That said, I'd be happy to see CHA upgrade from their eye-bleeding analog screens to digital ones.

The current ones appeal mightily to Seth Brundle.

Suprising to me that more thought hasn't been devoted to upgrading the AV in this facility. Surely, if we can send a man to the moon we can figure out a way so the ceiling could structurally support a state of the art scoreboard. Gotta think that some of these recruits like this "bling" factor. Besides with all that BTN money coming in surely we can afford it.

We would have to hire a structural engineer educated at the cow college, so I am once again against this idea.

Fine, the only thing that is needed to improve Carver is less swearing. We all agree now.

Hmmm........didn't realize CHA was such a dump.

I love Carver, but then I'm old.

And so is CHA... :eek: *

*Attended games at the Field House and remembers when the university undertook construction of a magnificent new athletic arena on the far west side of campus.

Last edited:
I think initially when Carver was built they wanted enough floor space to host the NCAA wrestling tournament. Well, the NCAA wrestling tournament is never coming back to Iowa City, so make the appropriate changes and get the seats closer to the floor.

Latest posts