CC and the Olympics

Now This: Connor helping Caitlin shooting threes after the Sky game

Angel Reese slams Caitlin in the head in Sunday's game

Angel only got a Flagrant 1 after this nasty slam, should have been a flagrant 2
and immediately suspension for several games

Now This: Connor helping Caitlin shooting threes after the Sky game

Angel Reese slams Caitlin in the head in Sunday's game

Angel only got a Flagrant 1 after this nasty slam, should have been a flagrant 2
and immediately suspension for several games

ya know, that 'slam' wasn't that out of the ordinary. I'm letting that one go

So Clark and the Fever just beat Phoenix on the road after getting down 15 early. This is a team that has 3 Olympians on it at. Clark was 1 rebound away from having a triple double... The argument that Clark isn't 'good enough' or 'deserving' of a spot is getting weaker and weaker by the game.

So Clark and the Fever just beat Phoenix on the road after getting down 15 early. This is a team that has 3 Olympians on it at. Clark was 1 rebound away from having a triple double... The argument that Clark isn't 'good enough' or 'deserving' of a spot is getting weaker and weaker by the game.
Yeah, that argument never held water from the get-go. At the time the Olympic team was announced, her stats were better than some other guards put on the team. The reasons she was left off the team:
* concern about 'team chemistry'; which is really a reflection of...
* a fear of change from the 'old guard'.
* awareness that Clark, barring injury, is guaranteed to be on the next 2 Olympic teams.
Lots of problems with that type of thinking, including the likelihood that 4 years from now, the shine and excitement around Clark will have diminished considerably. This moment of excitement for WNBA ball won't last forever.

I would guess the selection committee knows, at this point, they've made a big mistake. They probably don't want to admit it either.

To a certain extent,they are caught between a rock and a hard place. You don't just add a 13th player to the roster, somebody would have to go. Maybe they are hoping for an injury.

But howwould it work to take a player off the roster? That wouldn't seem fair. And, I suspect none of them would voluntarily give up their Olympic roster spot for CC, would you?

But howwould it work to take a player off the roster? That wouldn't seem fair. And, I suspect none of them would voluntarily give up their Olympic roster spot for CC, would you?
I would, but that's because I have no talent and would realize it was a mistake putting me on the roster to begin with. That and I have a Y chromosome.

The argument is that the olympic selection process is a long 3 year process that takes into account international experience, WNBA experience and olympic trials experience.

The end result is that they probably picked a team that would have been the best team last year but not necessarily what would be the best team today.

I also had an issue with the concept that Caitlin was not one of the 12 best players right now. Sure, she struggled in May in her first month with a new team, but to totally ignore all that she accomplished in college, and all the potential she has shown, was a bad idea.

I think the old veterans just did not like that Clark brought a whole new style to the WNBA, which was stuck in the past pushing an ugly thug ball style. WNBA vets were like, How dare Clark bring her fun, uptempo style to the WNBA. She needs to be put in her place.

Yeah, that argument never held water from the get-go. At the time the Olympic team was announced, her stats were better than some other guards put on the team. The reasons she was left off the team:
* concern about 'team chemistry'; which is really a reflection of...
* a fear of change from the 'old guard'.
* awareness that Clark, barring injury, is guaranteed to be on the next 2 Olympic teams.
Lots of problems with that type of thinking, including the likelihood that 4 years from now, the shine and excitement around Clark will have diminished considerably. This moment of excitement for WNBA ball won't last forever.
Exactly it really didn't. Most all of us understood she'd be the 12th player on team if she went. Totally fine with that. But they mean to tell me that she couldn't handle playing 2-5 mins of garbage time in games that'll most often be 25 plus pt blow outs? Give me a break. Nothing would fire up the crowd more at a time when nobody gives a shit then her coming in and launching a couple deep ones or making a full court pass.

These selfish Olympic team execs and that MN coach are idiots. What it'd have meant marketing wise (the amount of jerseys and gear with her name on it would fly off the shelves) I'm surprised that the high up Olympic folks and NBC TV people didn't make a call about it. The reasons why they are leaving her off are not based off logic at all. It's just an old guard/you'll take your turn mentality I think.

Well sorry her turn should be now.