Casey McMillan to DL

WinOneThisCentury

I heard this the other day, but not sure there has been confirmation. I'm assuming he sees no light at the end of the tunnel in the OL, can he help on the DL? Or is this an act of desperation?

I'm not sure what kind of athlete he is, but he's big. If he can fill a gap and occupy two people...we will take it.

I remember pictures of this guy coming out of high school, he looked like a dlineman. I hope that coach Morgan went out and asked for him; coached him, liked him and saw a bad streak in him that he can put to use on the dline. I do think dline will be our achilles heal next season, but will be a strength down the line with Morgan as the coach.

If RM had him and wants him now, I am ok with that.

I couldn't agree any more. I think because contain is the key to the entire d, at least from the way I understand it, our success, or lack of, will be almost 100% predicated on how quickly this unit develops.

I'm going to go tho the spring practice, something I usually find boring. All I want to see if the new way the offense practices, and the D line. And I think the D line is the most important to see for me right now. It's really, really hard for me to tell until they play someone.

DT moving to OT is one thing. Hard to imagine someone in Iowa's system could thrive moving in the other direction.

I believe moving from the DT to offensive tackle, especially late in your career, would be much more difficult. The technique in pass blocking especially isn't necessarily a natural thing...it's all about body position and technique. I know DL has similar technical characteristics, but it may be more doable in my opinion.

I think it will be an interesting move. He definitely has the size. Will be interesting to see how well he can make the transition -- given he has played on the o-line for so long

Generally, let me reemphasize the general nature of this statement, defensive lineman are more explosive athletes than OL. Therefore if you can't hack it as an OL, it's rare you have the explosion and athleticism to penetrate/push/control the pocket as an d-lineman.

Generally, let me reemphasize the general nature of this statement, defensive lineman are more explosive athletes than OL. Therefore if you can't hack it as an OL, it's rare you have the explosion and athleticism to penetrate/push/control the pocket as an d-lineman.

Yeah, this really shouldn't need to be explained.

the problem with generalities is they are generally inaccurate. there are many reasons someone couldn't "hack it" as an offensive lineman outside of lack of explosion and athleticism. perhaps hes plenty athletic and explosive but he's too aggressive and having having trouble staying patient and using proper techniques. I realize DL and OL utilize some different skill sets, but it would be foolish to say one transition is easier/more difficult than the other. it would all come down to the individual involved.

irregardless he's 6-4 300 pounds so even if he's primarily used as a DT during short yardage and goal line situations he can help this team.

the problem with generalities is they are generally inaccurate. there are many reasons someone couldn't "hack it" as an offensive lineman outside of lack of explosion and athleticism. perhaps hes plenty athletic and explosive but he's too aggressive and having having trouble staying patient and using proper techniques. I realize DL and OL utilize some different skill sets, but it would be foolish to say one transition is easier/more difficult than the other. it would all come down to the individual involved.

irregardless he's 6-4 300 pounds so even if he's primarily used as a DT during short yardage and goal line situations he can help this team.

Duff:

You are drifting off into Andre Murphy area here :rolleyes:. Iowa defensive line schemes are about leverage and quickness. It is just not really conceivable that someone would start on the Iowa OLine and have the athleticism necessary to play on the DLine.

Remember, that Iowa has not had a guy make it that was listed as a DT recruit since Colin Cole. The guys that play on their DLine are recruited at RB (Babs), TE (Ballard), LB (Kroul, King), and DE (Daniels, Klug). The reason the DT recruits haven't made it is because they were not athletic enough for Iowa's scheme.

The odds are that McMillan was moved just for depth chart issues and to help out the OLine, just to give them some practice at blocking against bulk.

He may not be a guy who gets to the QB, but it would be ok to have a guy up front with something in the seat...who is tough to move at the point of attack.

Jon projected us giving up a bunch of rushing yards next year...I'm not going to complain about a guy with some size up front. Occupy some OL so our quick LBs can get to the ball clean.

With a guy that size up front, any possibility at all that maybe they are looking to some 3-4 sets with him as the OLineman eating NT? Just a thought outside the proverbial box.

Duff:

You are drifting off into Andre Murphy area here :rolleyes:. Iowa defensive line schemes are about leverage and quickness. It is just not really conceivable that someone would start on the Iowa OLine and have the athleticism necessary to play on the DLine.

Remember, that Iowa has not had a guy make it that was listed as a DT recruit since Colin Cole. The guys that play on their DLine are recruited at RB (Babs), TE (Ballard), LB (Kroul, King), and DE (Daniels, Klug). The reason the DT recruits haven't made it is because they were not athletic enough for Iowa's scheme.

The odds are that McMillan was moved just for depth chart issues and to help out the OLine, just to give them some practice at blocking against bulk.

The Iowa D showed up against the run (except in the red zone) against OK in the bowl game, holding them to their lowest output of the season I believe. That was with McM in the lineup. Did McM have anything to do with this improvement?

I do realize that Daniels was finally healthy and played fast and furious in the first half but perhaps McMillan's presence also played a role. At the least, I don't recall him being a weak link.

Duff:

I'm not arguing with you Caar, but do you really believe that Ballard was recruited as a TE and Babs as a RB. That may be waht they played in HS and have on their recruiting pages, but neither got reps at anytime at those positions at Iowa.

Latest posts