Casey McMillan to DL

Seniors don't change positions to provide practice depth. They change positions to get the opportunity to see and help their team on the field before they graduate. Id be surprised to see him be an every down player, but its crazy to think he's not going to see the field in short yardage and goal line situations. He only has to learn one technique there. Go low and penetrate. He could learn that in an afternoon.

He may not be a guy who gets to the QB, but it would be ok to have a guy up front with something in the seat...who is tough to move at the point of attack.

Jon projected us giving up a bunch of rushing yards next year...I'm not going to complain about a guy with some size up front. Occupy some OL so our quick LBs can get to the ball clean.
Yep. Big and strong; may not be a sackmaster, but he can push some guys backwards.

With a guy that size up front, any possibility at all that maybe they are looking to some 3-4 sets with him as the OLineman eating NT? Just a thought outside the proverbial box.

no...no...no

you need to understand the differences between 3-4 linemen and lbs and 4-3 linemen and lbs. just cause you are short on dl and long on lbs doesnt mean you go to a 3-4 it is about having the right guys. the nt in a 3-4 may be the hardest position not called qb in football. it is not just some big guy taking up blockers. we also dont have the lb personnel for this move.

I'm not arguing with you Caar, but do you really believe that Ballard was recruited as a TE and Babs as a RB. That may be waht they played in HS and have on their recruiting pages, but neither got reps at anytime at those positions at Iowa.

I believe Babanieux did start out at fullback his freshman year.

Ballard thought he was going to play on offense but the coaches probably always knew where he would end up.

Duff:

You are drifting off into Andre Murphy area here :rolleyes:. Iowa defensive line schemes are about leverage and quickness. It is just not really conceivable that someone would start on the Iowa OLine and have the athleticism necessary to play on the DLine.

Remember, that Iowa has not had a guy make it that was listed as a DT recruit since Colin Cole. The guys that play on their DLine are recruited at RB (Babs), TE (Ballard), LB (Kroul, King), and DE (Daniels, Klug). The reason the DT recruits haven't made it is because they were not athletic enough for Iowa's scheme.

The odds are that McMillan was moved just for depth chart issues and to help out the OLine, just to give them some practice at blocking against bulk.

I wouldnt say it was because they all lacked athleticism, Iowa dosen't sign a ton of DTs out of highschool but the ones they did have generally not stuck around long.

Allot of the guys Iowa signed at DT could have been pretty good. The "big human" Ryan Bain, Ettore Ewen, Hundermark Anthony Ferguson, Donavon Johnson ect.

Latest posts