Carver

Short of structural changes...

1 Fill it.
2. Students at courtside.

....and keep winning. That helps!

Also, the RAC is rarely full. It was today. That is all.

You are absolutely right, I was thinking the same thing almost the entire game. I have to say though, I am not sure from my TV vantage point that I have seen a game lately that was anywhere that loud and hostile than that environment. I give Rutgers a ton of credit, they played really really hard and their fans certainly showed out.

It would certainly be nice to have that kind of advantage.

Way past time for a new arena. One that's actually designed for home court advantage in basketball.

Yeah...I love Carver in terms of memories there (I also used to work there in college), but it's a big bowl and not at all intimidating unless the crowd is going absolutely berzerk, which isn't often.

It would be super cool if they had a new arena, but I would think that would be hard to justify as Carver isn't exactly obsolete or run down. It's just kind of sterile.

Yeah...I love Carver in terms of memories there (I also used to work there in college), but it's a big bowl and not at all intimidating unless the crowd is going absolutely berzerk, which isn't often.

It would be super cool if they had a new arena, but I would think that would be hard to justify as Carver isn't exactly obsolete or run down. It's just kind of sterile.
Carver is the Rose Bowl of college basketball, and by Rose Bowl I mean gently sloping hole in the ground where one can nap without being shamed.

I’m pretty surprised they don’t rent CPAP machines at the concession stands.

Carver is the Rose Bowl of college basketball, and by Rose Bowl I mean gently sloping hole in the ground where one can nap without being shamed.

I’m pretty surprised they don’t rent CPAP machines at the concession stands.
They do. Right next to the knitting needles and balls of yarn.

I'm posting this with 4 minutes left in the Iowa-rutger game. The RAC, which only seats 8,000, is putting Carver to shame. I don't have all the answers, but we need to look at making some drastic changes to get some sound at our home games.

Check the last time they filled it. You'll have to go several years back Not typical today.

It does not take full structural changes to do this right. It takes the lower-court seating actually being designed by someone not drawing in crayon. Iowa also doesn’t do anything remotely decent in terms of creating “tiered” seating within the arena. It’s doable within the setup, yes, even with the bowl layout.

Short of structural changes...

1 Fill it.
2. Students at courtside.

....and keep winning. That helps!

Also, the RAC is rarely full. It was today. That is all.

I've said this a ton of times, but IMO the students haven't done anything to DESERVE courtside seats. Dont get me wrong, I dont enjoy the blue hairs sitting on their hands all night....but if we gave the students an entire length of the court, how stupid are we going to look when its half empty?

IMO the students show up en masse...and THEN they earn their spots in re-seating. until then...NOPE

Also the RAC has had 4 sellouts this year and it only holds 8,000 people. Carver has had more than 9,000 fans at every game this year.

If Carver only held 8,000 people we would've had sellouts to every single home game this season

Also the RAC has had 4 sellouts this year and it only holds 8,000 people. Carver has had more than 9,000 fans at every game this year.

If Carver only held 8,000 people we would've had sellouts to every single home game this season
You’re up pretty late

It does not take full structural changes to do this right. It takes the lower-court seating actually being designed by someone not drawing in crayon. Iowa also doesn’t do anything remotely decent in terms of creating “tiered” seating within the arena. It’s doable within the setup, yes, even with the bowl layout.
But when are you going to close down CHA for 6-8 months or maybe even a year? Our basketball team has a hard enough time without having to practice/train/etc. in a makeshift setup.

There’s plenty of room and money in IC to build a new, smaller 12,000 seat arena with 2 decks. This isn’t like building a football stadium.

Name it the Fieldhouse, and the Hawks play basketball on Chris Street Court.

Keep winning. Keep putting a decent product out on the floor. That's all you can do. Carver was built to be an all purpose arena back in the 80's. Not much you can do about it now.

Do what you can to entice students to go to games. They aren't the ones shelling out the big bucks, but they are the ones that create the rockus atmosphere.

But when are you going to close down CHA for 6-8 months or maybe even a year? Our basketball team has a hard enough time without having to practice/train/etc. in a makeshift setup.

There’s plenty of room and money in IC to build a new, smaller 12,000 seat arena with 2 decks. This isn’t like building a football stadium.

Name it the Fieldhouse, and the Hawks play basketball on Chris Street Court.

I haven't been to Iowa City in awhile, so maybe some things have changed. You want the arena on campus, but where do you build it?

I've said this a ton of times, but IMO the students haven't done anything to DESERVE courtside seats. Dont get me wrong, I dont enjoy the blue hairs sitting on their hands all night....but if we gave the students an entire length of the court, how stupid are we going to look when its half empty?

IMO the students show up en masse...and THEN they earn their spots in re-seating. until then...NOPE

That's fair. I haven't been to Carver in some time, as I live far away. Maybe they need to just put stimulants in the ice cream.

Latest posts