Carver is a wonderful place, but basketball teams could use a new place to play home games.

Attendance is in decline across the board but weirdly enough, you'll see Carver in the top 25 of attendance every season. I think they need a new location (somewhere closer to bars and restaurants), a new facility with modern accommodations with tiers or concourses - no one wants to climb those steps anymore - just to hit the hen? Just to get food? Everywhere else and I mean literally everywhere else has better accommodations. Carver doesn't even employ food and beverage vendors who walk through the crowd selling shit so people DON'T have to climb those stairs. It's like they aren't even trying to make the experience better.

Don't even get me started on "better product, better attendance" bullshit, Iowa has been eligible for the Dance in 6 out of the last 8 seasons including the last 3. They just had one of the most successful regular seasons in school history. How much better does the product need to get? Iowa is 9-3 and in EVERY bracketology service you can find at this point in the season. Again, how much better does the product need to be?

Carver is dump - it being a dump is the main reason people don't go.
Funny enough, I share your opinion wholeheartedly when it comes to basketball…but you couldn’t even come close to convincing me or any other wrestling fan (even most visiting fans) that there’s a better wrestling venue on earth. Because there isn’t.

If/when they do put up anothe basketball venue, they need to leave Carver in place for wrestling. It’s the center of the world in that sport.

Go to the Kohl Center in Madison. The come back and tell me how it compares to CHA.
Just because there’s another venue that sucks, doesn’t mean ours has to also suck.

CHA is a terrible setup for basketball. It’s time to get with the times.

I miss the fieldhouse atmosphere which took up 20 years of my life. I don't miss sitting in the upper deck where a spilled coke would clean out an entire section, nor do I miss watching a game where I cannot see one basket. Good question on attendance, I live 12 hours a away and used to come back when the big ten did thursday/saturday home games as it was well worth the drive in that case, I dont think that change has helped attendance and I am lucky to see a game a year now and its usually against directional U on the eve of a football game.

Just because there’s another venue that sucks, doesn’t mean ours has to also suck.

You do know WI students’ tickets are very limited and they sit in the end zone seats? Get with the times? Examples? I am asking because I just don’t get the trashing of CHA. I don’t do concessions and games are only a couple of hours so I don’t go out to pee. No pregame adult beverages. Thank goodness they have wide aisles with railings. I know, I know. I am old. But the railings allow me to continue my season tickets. Just an observation: It looks to me that the area around my 25th row seat mid court is populated by a variety of age groups. Young couples with kids, 20-30 something’s and frankly, only a few of us old guys. Yes, the blu hairs are common nearer the side line.
I miss the fieldhouse atmosphere which took up 20 years of my life. I don't miss sitting in the upper deck where a spilled coke would clean out an entire section, nor do I miss watching a game where I cannot see one basket. Good question on attendance, I live 12 hours a away and used to come back when the big ten did thursday/saturday home games as it was well worth the drive in that case, I dont think that change has helped attendance and I am lucky to see a game a year now and its usually against directional U on the eve of a football game.
I travel 4+ hours for games. I would love to go back to Thursday/Saturday games. I am retired and would stay over until Sunday. Yahoo! Yes, the old field house was amazing. Watched Miller and Olsen shows.

At least the Kohl is close to downtown and to lots of bars and restaurants.

As far as the arena itself it's not bad. What it is known for is being a great concert venue.

I will stick to what I've always said about Carver. I've never had an issue with it. But perhaps some concessions and rest rooms at court level would be a nice upgrade.

You do know WI students’ tickets are very limited and they sit in the end zone seats? Get with the times? Examples? I am asking because I just don’t get the trashing of CHA. I don’t do concessions and games are only a couple of hours so I don’t go out to pee. No pregame adult beverages. Thank goodness they have wide aisles with railings. I know, I know. I am old. But the railings allow me to continue my season tickets. Just an observation: It looks to me that the area around my 25th row seat mid court is populated by a variety of age groups. Young couples with kids, 20-30 something’s and frankly, only a few of us old guys. Yes, the blu hairs are common nearer the side line.

I travel 4+ hours for games. I would love to go back to Thursday/Saturday games. I am retired and would stay over until Sunday. Yahoo! Yes, the old field house was amazing. Watched Miller and Olsen shows.
I drive 5 1/2 hrs to every home wrestling event, and we go in as soon as the doors open. Zero wait for concessions, and we have time to eat chicken tenders and ice cream before anything gets started. Yeah we have to wait an hour, but I’d rather have time to do concessions and eat at a leisurely pace than stand i. Line for 45 mins and miss half the event.

BTW, I know Carver I’ve cream is top notch, but have any of you had the chicken tenders this year? I don’t know what it is but they’re fucking amazing. Unbelievable and a basket with a huge pile of fries is like $8.

They'd probably prefer clear WiFi instead.

Or perhaps

A Colt 45 Tall Boy

Top 30 Malt Liquor GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

I drive 5 1/2 hrs to every home wrestling event, and we go in as soon as the doors open. Zero wait for concessions, and we have time to eat chicken tenders and ice cream before anything gets started. Yeah we have to wait an hour, but I’d rather have time to do concessions and eat at a leisurely pace than stand i. Line for 45 mins and miss half the event.

BTW, I know Carver I’ve cream is top notch, but have any of you had the chicken tenders this year? I don’t know what it is but they’re fucking amazing. Unbelievable and a basket with a huge pile of fries is like $8.
Had them in Kinnick at the last game, I couldn’t believe that I had not seen them before. I was amazed that I could get a chicken tender basket for the same price as popcorn.

Agreed that this is a fun conversation. But a few things that come to mind.

1) CHA has to stay, for a number of reasons. I don't think the wrestling program alone could sustain CHA... but I don't know this and I could be wrong. I just don't think wrastling has the revenue to keep the arena running. Curious for others' opinions on this.

2) A (new) basketball specific venue would be amazing. And I mostly agree with everyone's comments here about size/style/layout of that hypothetical new arena... ~10k seats, intimate setting, etc.

3) It's an incredible idea (dream) for Iowa Athletics to have an elite wrestling program with it's own dedicated epic venue (Carver Hawkeye) AND elite Womens+Mens basketball programs with their own dedicated venue. This would be incredible and unique across the NCAA.

4) Because of CHA's bowl design, it doesn't seem like there's much that the university could logically do to renovate the arena for an improved basketball experience (or at least could effectively do in terms of cost/value). If the core issue is that the bowl design puts fans too far from the court, here are two ideas to "make do" and renovate CHA to make it a better basketball venue:

a) lower the floor. This would be an intense construction project in it's own right. But curious if they could excavate down and lower the floor a few feet, maintaining the pitch of the stands/bowl and bringing the perimeter of the stands closer to the floor. This would be "easier" than rebuilding the existing stands. Very illogical, but something I've always thought about. But it would likely add seats... which doesn't seem to be the goal here.

b) redo the seating sections and aisle layout for the lowest ~ 1/3 of the arena. I think it's absolutely ridiculous how the aisles at Carver go all the way up from the floor to the top of the arena... and the width doesn't change. I'm sure some people (who go to more games than me) are more intimately familiar with this... but it seems like there's 50 seats in between each aisle at the top of the arena. But there's like 5 seats in between each aisle at floor level. When watching on TV, I can't help but notice how much aisle there is down at the bottom of the bowl... that area should be filled with people... not aisle overkill.

If they sell beer in Kinnick, why not CHA?
They do sell beer at CHA.