Carver is a wonderful place, but basketball teams could use a new place to play home games.

Now wrestling, look my son is an Illinois fan but even he wants to go to Carver to see an Iowa meet.
January 9th I had some family stuff come up and won't be able to make it. We wrestle Purdue.

18th row, 3 seats. Yours if you want 'em.

Gracias but can't.
mac-predator-anytime.gif

Hate to bag on CHA, but there are a few things that could be done better.

CHA, not unlike Kinnick, is difficult to get to...then....
...parking around CHA totally sucks. Not much to be done about that I guess.
(Best thing UI needs to keep doing is running the free buses from Hancher)

The cheap seats are narrow, uncomfortable, miserable.

Have they replaced the eye-bleeder analog side-monitors yet?

$40 per seat per game? Really? Wow.
The bus from Hancher is a great option. Masks required. No social distancing. Wait time post game can be a few minutes. Exit from Hancher to I 80 is a cakewalk. The last 2 or 3 blocks to the CHA doors can be slow. But you are dropped off literally 10 yards from the entry doors.

OK...Indiana. Good opponent. $40 for anything decent.
No frickin way would I order tickets from that site. It looks like an STD.

Google "is tickets center legit" and you'll see it's a big scam.

StubHub, Vivid, and Seat Geek are the only ones I'd even think of buying from.

VB had a sweet shot from two areas on the floor.

But he couldn't dribble past two times or he'd travel.
He did pick a good time to have the hottest shooting run of his career.

In addition to his 1980 final four run heroics he also tied the Toledo game from the year before with a late basket prior to Stan Joplin winning it for Toledo at the buzzer.

He did pick a good time to have the hottest shooting run of his career.

In addition to his 1980 final four run heroics he also tied the Toledo game from the year before with a late basket prior to Stan Joplin winning it for Toledo at the buzzer.
“Stan Joplin” has to be the most University of Toledo-ish basketball player name I’ve ever heard.

“Stan Joplin” has to be the most University of Toledo-ish basketball player name I’ve ever heard.
Very much so. But he was Michael Jordan, LeBron James and Stephen Curry rolled into one when he ended Iowa's season.

There was no shot clock then and no double bonus. Iowa tried to sit on a lead but did so way too soon. Then Toledo started fouling and Iowa kept missing front ends of one in one's.

it was heartbreak but valuable lessons were learned. The next year was 1980 and Iowa was a tournament terror. I was a freshman in high school. What a run that was.

Joplin was on Sparty's staff during the end of the Jud Heathcoate era and the transition to Izzo. He ended up coaching at his alma mater for a while.

Agreed. Almost anything has to be better than what is happening now. I do agree with others in this thread that the product on the floor also influences the fan participation. But, even so, if we got the students closer to the floor, the ones that are most likely to be up on their feet cheering the whole game (as opposed to Betty and Gretchen knitting and talking about next week's bridge card game).

grandma-rockstar.gif

It is just another thing about how we run our basketball programs from a macro and micro perspective. We just can't get out of our own way and this should be easy enough to fix.

I'm sure we can still find some good seating for the "blue hair donors" who want to kick back at Carver on a cold winter night without taking to much away from the game noise wise.
If I were a blue hair donor, I'd sure as hell not want to go down all those stairs and back up when nature calls. Sit in the top rows, easy in and out.

Attendance is in decline across the board but weirdly enough, you'll see Carver in the top 25 of attendance every season. I think they need a new location (somewhere closer to bars and restaurants), a new facility with modern accommodations with tiers or concourses - no one wants to climb those steps anymore - just to hit the hen? Just to get food? Everywhere else and I mean literally everywhere else has better accommodations. Carver doesn't even employ food and beverage vendors who walk through the crowd selling shit so people DON'T have to climb those stairs. It's like they aren't even trying to make the experience better.

Don't even get me started on "better product, better attendance" bullshit, Iowa has been eligible for the Dance in 6 out of the last 8 seasons including the last 3. They just had one of the most successful regular seasons in school history. How much better does the product need to get? Iowa is 9-3 and in EVERY bracketology service you can find at this point in the season. Again, how much better does the product need to be?

Carver is dump - it being a dump is the main reason people don't go.

Attendance is in decline across the board but weirdly enough, you'll see Carver in the top 25 of attendance every season. I think they need a new location (somewhere closer to bars and restaurants), a new facility with modern accommodations with tiers or concourses - no one wants to climb those steps anymore - just to hit the hen? Just to get food? Everywhere else and I mean literally everywhere else has better accommodations. Carver doesn't even employ food and beverage vendors who walk through the crowd selling shit so people DON'T have to climb those stairs. It's like they aren't even trying to make the experience better.

Don't even get me started on "better product, better attendance" bullshit, Iowa has been eligible for the Dance in 6 out of the last 8 seasons including the last 3. They just had one of the most successful regular seasons in school history. How much better does the product need to get? Iowa is 9-3 and in EVERY bracketology service you can find at this point in the season. Again, how much better does the product need to be?

Carver is dump - it being a dump is the main reason people don't go.
Can't agree more. They aren't making any kind of effort and it's not like it's just been the last yr or so either it's always been like that. If the environment sucks then customer service should be priority #1 and they aren't even making efforts with that. Which lends to the total experience just not being something to brag about.

My guess is they'll eventually get a new facility, but will it be in the next 10 yrs? That's my over under and I lean towards the over on it..

My guess is they'll eventually get a new facility, but will it be in the next 10 yrs? That's my over under and I lean towards the over on it..
I worked at Kinnick as a student 30 yrs ago and there were strong rumors then that the hospital wanted the space and a new football stadium was going to be built west of Finkbine. 10 yrs later (or so) they decided to upgrade Kinnick instead. I'll take the over too.

Can't agree more. They aren't making any kind of effort and it's not like it's just been the last yr or so either it's always been like that. If the environment sucks then customer service should be priority #1 and they aren't even making efforts with that. Which lends to the total experience just not being something to brag about.

The last time I went to a game in Carver I sat in the front row. At halftime I kinda had to pee and I was wanting concessions. I took 1 look at the flight of stairs I had to climb to do either and decided I didn't need to pee or wanted concessions THAT bad. One would think they'd sell a ton more concessions if they had a few vendors. But, I agree, they make zero effort to improve the experience.

Last edited:
The last time I went to a game in Carver I sat in the front row. At halftime I kinda had to pee and I was wanting concessions. I took 1 look at the flight of stairs I had to climb to do either and decided I didn't need to pee or wanted concessions THAT bad. One would think they'd sell a ton more concessions if they had a few vendors. But, I agree, they make zero effort to improve the experience.
If you'd have went to do both you'd have been lucky to be back to your seat by the under 4 min TO.

Latest posts