Carson May Enters the Portal

Makes total sense. He's sandwiched. With Cade and Labas ahead of him and Lainez and Reaser behind him the writing was kinda on the wall it'd be an uphill climb for him to see the field.

Here's where I think May is hurting himself though with the timing of this. If he stays he and Labas will get a boat load of spring ball reps. I don't think Cade will be able to go early on for that. That's worth something to a guy like him I would think. But now he's going off into the wilderness and unknown of the portal. He may not even get a new home on scholarship anyway. He could always jump into the portal after spring ball too....

As Rob mentioned he was a KOK recruit and maybe he felt he no longer had the coaching staff in his corner. The story mentioned him as a 4-star but he was from a smaller school in Oklahoma. Maybe he got here and felt he did not measure up? Then with McNamara coming in with two years of eligibility he decided he needed to transfer. Best of luck to him, wherever he ends up.

I know this post will probably win the annual “Capt. Obvious” award, but I can’t resist. I watched a bunch of Bowl games, not all in their entirety. This was after constant warnings that these games were a waste of time. Not really. Saw lots of good football. Saw lots of emotion from players and coaches.

What really stood out was that every single team had a QB that could move within and outside of the pocket. And they scored TD’s consistently. Then I reconsidered Iowa’s recent QB’s performances. I was stunned at their total lack of mobility. That was, of course, predictable. What finally sunk in was the dramatic, unbelievable difference between Iowa QB’s and virtually every other signal caller.

There is no excuse for the type of QB we have signed. None. The best news is that they are transferring en mass. Labas should go as well. New recruits should be given a very short leash.

Get busy, coaches.

I know this post will probably win the annual “Capt. Obvious” award, but I can’t resist. I watched a bunch of Bowl games, not all in their entirety. This was after constant warnings that these games were a waste of time. Not really. Saw lots of good football. Saw lots of emotion from players and coaches.

What really stood out was that every single team had a QB that could move within and outside of the pocket. And they scored TD’s consistently. Then I reconsidered Iowa’s recent QB’s performances. I was stunned at their total lack of mobility. That was, of course, predictable. What finally sunk in was the dramatic, unbelievable difference between Iowa QB’s and virtually every other signal caller.

There is no excuse for the type of QB we have signed. None. The best news is that they are transferring en mass. Labas should go as well. New recruits should be given a very short leash.

Get busy, coaches.
Did you miss Music City? 1 OF TD total. Purdue?

On a serious note, what has struck me in recent years it parity. There are a number of teams that are just a few players shy of contending. Iowa, Kentuck, MS State, TN... to name some. I would not put USC when Iowa played them in that category.

Last edited:

Get busy, coaches.

I noticed the lack of downfield pass plays compared to most the other teams I watched. I'm talking chunk plays. Iowa's play calling was very conservative and was to slowly move the chains.

It's pretty bad when you watch your favorite team than watch others and think it is so much more exciting of a game to watch.

I believe Iowa quarterbacks are expected to stay in the pocket instead of running down field. I don’t understand this since it seems a lot safer to run down field and slide rather than staying in the pocket and getting crunched.

The good college offenses today have mobile QB’s. They can escape sack or scramble downfield to make gains out of losses. When they run a zone read, they sometimes actually keep the ball and run it.
When Iowa has had this style of QB, we have done well. Banks, Tate, CJ, even Stanzi. Yet we seem averse to recruiting or playing QB’s with such skills. Baffling,

The good college offenses today have mobile QB’s. They can escape sack or scramble downfield to make gains out of losses. When they run a zone read, they sometimes actually keep the ball and run it.
When Iowa has had this style of QB, we have done well. Banks, Tate, CJ, even Stanzi. Yet we seem averse to recruiting or playing QB’s with such skills. Baffling,

Labas has that skill, it's just that he entered the program at the wrong time because the depth chart is written in stone. Ferentz would rather play Jake Christensen as a senior than Mike Vick as a sophomore. It's just the way the guy is wired.

Well it's finally flipped... I think part of that is KOKs influence is gone. He recruited May and now he's in the portal. He was the last tall statue type we had in the QB room. And I'm not so sure he was a complete statue I think in HS he ran some. But regardless Lainez and Reaser who are the next two coming in are both more then mobile and athletic QBs. I don't think Cade is overly mobile as far as that goes but I seem to remember him burning us with his legs a couple times. He's probably similar to CJ Beathard in that regard.

I believe Iowa quarterbacks are expected to stay in the pocket instead of running down field. I don’t understand this since it seems a lot safer to run down field and slide rather than staying in the pocket and getting crunched.

It's a control thing. It sounds great and a no brainer to just let the QB run wild, but you do increase the risk of injury. KF is a control freak who likes predictable plays. Just letting the QB run wild also messes up the blocking schemes as now that is not predictable and often times leads to penalties, such as linemen downfield or more holding, etc.. It really is about controlling the situation for consistency and to keep the QB from taking hits.

Well it's finally flipped... I think part of that is KOKs influence is gone. He recruited May and now he's in the portal. He was the last tall statue type we had in the QB room. And I'm not so sure he was a complete statue I think in HS he ran some. But regardless Lainez and Reaser who are the next two coming in are both more then mobile and athletic QBs. I don't think Cade is overly mobile as far as that goes but I seem to remember him burning us with his legs a couple times. He's probably similar to CJ Beathard in that regard.

Good take. Yea, Cade seems to be a viable stop gap QB during this transition. He's not as mobile but can get the job done. There is also still some question about the health and if he's able to perform. But, I'm sure they vetted that and are very confident he'll be fine.

Good take. Yea, Cade seems to be a viable stop gap QB during this transition. He's not as mobile but can get the job done. There is also still some question about the health and if he's able to perform. But, I'm sure they vetted that and are very confident he'll be fine.
Yeah how soon he's able to get out there will be interesting... I mean what if it's like after summer camp gets started and say he only has a couple weeks or so to get going before week 1? I have no clue what his timeline is all I've heard is that he's not going to be ready by spring ball. If he's good to go for the start of summer camp I think we'll all be glad for that.

It's a control thing. It sounds great and a no brainer to just let the QB run wild, but you do increase the risk of injury. KF is a control freak who likes predictable plays. Just letting the QB run wild also messes up the blocking schemes as now that is not predictable and often times leads to penalties, such as linemen downfield or more holding, etc.. It really is about controlling the situation for consistency and to keep the QB from taking hits.
With all due respect, you're falling into the same false logic as Kirk. It's not an all-or-nothing choice. You can give the QB more freedom with out simply saying "Go ahead and run wild" and losing all control. There's a spectrum of risk/reward and "control".

If snap and go free-for-all from shotgun formation is "10" and Run every play as scripted, no audibles, no reads, and every play design is conservative is "1".... Kirk is somewhere around a 2.5 Most of college football plays between 4-8.
There is a more effective point on the spectrum than armadillo ball.

With all due respect, you're falling into the same false logic as Kirk. It's not an all-or-nothing choice. You can give the QB more freedom with out simply saying "Go ahead and run wild" and losing all control. There's a spectrum of risk/reward and "control".

If snap and go free-for-all from shotgun formation is "10" and Run every play as scripted, no audibles, no reads, and every play design is conservative is "1".... Kirk is somewhere around a 2.5 Most of college football plays between 4-8.
There is a more effective point on the spectrum than armadillo ball.

I didn't say it was my logic.

Latest posts