Carew OUT for the season

jparmley3

Tore both ligaments in his knee.

Tough break. Sounds like they may ask for a medical redshirt.

Interesting season for the Hawks just got more interesting.

If this is true this is a huge blow, I had Carew as a NCAA qualifier. I know the spot would be Ballwegs, but after their impressive performance this weekend, anyone know if theres a chance Kelly or Moore may try and make the drop? I know Moore looks too big but Kelly looks like he may be able to make the cut. Don't know if either could beat Ballweg but 49 could use the depth and if someone could make the drop it might add depth to a weakened weight since 57 is one of the deepest weights on the team (along with 33, and 74).

Send Mark Ballweg down. He has always been a small 57-pounder and, if he can make the weight, would be a better option than burning a redshirt for Jake B or Kelly unless either is significantly better.

you will have to take my word on this one. it happened on Monday during practice, and, yes, it was the ACL/MCL combination.

Not good for the Hawks.

This season was already a mystery. It just got a bit more mysterious.

Moore @ 133 and Chiri @ 149 for Friday's meet. Anyone have updates on the status of Clark/Ramos injuries? Also interested if Matt Ballweg or Kelly might suck down to 149.

Kelly is certified at 149 and supposedly is small at 157. Good chance he might go at 149 this year.

I know Brands likes the redshirt, and no one can blame him. But this time I see a monster log jam in the next couple seasons and there is going to be some good wrestlers not seeing the mat. If Kelly certified 149, and can get there without sucking weight, this time I'd say let him wrestle. He can red-shirt next year. We have tons of guys to fill in the lineup the next couple years. That said I wouldn't do it until after he had a good Midlands, if he doesn't then the red-shirt would stay on.

CRwrestle, i completely agree that it is way too soon to pull off any redshirts right now. I'll admit i didn't think Kelly would ever sniff the starting lineup at Iowa and was shocked to see him beat nick moore(although less shocked after all of the positive praise he's been getting since getting to iowa), but let's get through midlands and to January before that decision is made. I think you need more information than one amateur bracket win at UNO. I really hate to burn redshirts because i think they are so important though. Tom is going to have a tough decision to make.
On a side note, with Baldasoro leaving and not landing Destin McCulley (sp?) i don't think there is much of a log jam as once thought. St. John will move to 65 prob next year, Moore in at 57 and hopefully Kelly at 49. Carew would be on the outside looking in, but i've never been sold on him anyways.

Last edited:

Latest posts