Can you find three more wins on the schedule?

Seems like this team loses confidence too easily. Happened last year too. We were all talking about how the team was staying close to opponents....and then the last month of conference play the team just quit.

I have two concerns. First one is do we suffer more transfers after this year? And second, can Fran actually recruit? I have a hard time believing he needs time when other coaches are able to pull in recruits to places that aren't any better than Iowa.

Do we really think the practice facility will draw people in and seal the deal? I like Fran, but so far he hasn't show us too much.

I think with this young and inexperienced team they are going to be up and down.

You would think the offense would come and go but defense is all about effort and it appears as though guys are not defending all the way.

The big thing is they can't let the last two losses turn into four more performances like this one. They have to stop the bleeding and get it going in the right direction.

Well, it is tough for fans to believe in the team when the team doesn't seem to believe in itself. When an injured Jon Shurna beats the Iowa defense down the court on the break by 20 feet, you know the effort isn't there.

I can't argue with that. It was a pitiful effort last night at times.

I have two concerns. First one is do we suffer more transfers after this year? And second, can Fran actually recruit?

Those are two very big questions that need answering. I was thinking that Fran would be able to keep the players on the roster, and he seems like a player's coach. But if we end up 1-17 in the league, it's hard for me to sit here and believe that everyone would stay on board if it gets that ugly. We can only wait and see how the next 2 months go.

Regarding recruiting for next year and beyond, I'm not exactly blown away with what we've gotten done so far. I've got to be honest about that. We've signed a 2-star recruit, and a 3-star in-state player, and have completely whiffed on everyone else to this point. Hopefully that'll change, but Fran and company aren't off to a great start on the recruiting trail.

I know that White was apparently getting late looks from a couple of good programs before he signed with us, so is hopefully a sleeper, and Oglesby had a couple of good offers, so he should be decent. But I'm also keeping in mind that we have yet to see them play against Big Ten competition, so I'm leary of getting too excited about our recruiting class until we've seen how they fare at this level. And will these guys be good enough to turn things around? Or more of the same types of players (more or less) that we have right now?

Those are two very big questions that need answering. I was thinking that Fran would be able to keep the players on the roster, and he seems like a player's coach. But if we end up 1-17 in the league, it's hard for me to sit here and believe that everyone would stay on board if it gets that ugly. We can only wait and see how the next 2 months go.

Regarding recruiting for next year and beyond, I'm not exactly blown away with what we've gotten done so far. I've got to be honest about that. We've signed a 2-star recruit, and a 3-star in-state player, and have completely whiffed on everyone else to this point. Hopefully that'll change, but Fran and company aren't off to a great start on the recruiting trail.

I know that White was apparently getting late looks from a couple of good programs before he signed with us, so is hopefully a sleeper, and Oglesby had a couple of good offers, so he should be decent. But I'm also keeping in mind that we have yet to see them play against Big Ten competition, so I'm leary of getting too excited about our recruiting class until we've seen how they fare at this level. And will these guys be good enough to turn things around? Or more of the same types of players (more or less) that we have right now?

Agreed: White and Oglesby seem very similar to McCabe and Gatens, nice role players but not talented enough to be impact players, I like the makeup of Fran's staff and hopefully they can recruit some impact players by next year, probably some juco's, which is risky, how did Painter improve the talent base so quickly? it can be done. Go Hawks

You guys do realize that the two players on the floor for the Hawks that look most like Big 10 athletes are Basabe and Cartwright. Those are the only two guys that McCaffery has brought in of his own accord. He knows what he's doing. I think his record speaks for itself up to this point. He's turned around 3 programs. I'll wait more than halfway through his first year to pass judgement on him.

Sunday and again last night, this team started to show signs of Clayborn disease.

I'd say that's uncalled for. The guy busted his *** for Iowa for five years of his life. I guess the stellar effort he gave us in the '09-'10 season doesn't mean ****?

It depends on which Iowa team shows up. The one from the UNI and OSU games or the one from the Purdue and NW games.

This team is inexperienced, has average talent, and is under a new coach.

Before the season, we expected Iowa to lose to teams they shouldn't (SDSU/NW/LBS). Now we just need them to start beaten teams they shouldn't.

I see Iowa beating Indiana at home, beating UM at home (the Wolverines are not good away from Crisler), and then sneaking 1 or 2 more at home. Roadies will be tough.

Interesting how everyone's opinion goes 180 after two bad outings (one on the road to a team that doesn't lose at home and has a double digit win streak and only 1 loss on the year). The NW game was inexcusable.

The Hawkeyes are playing very poorly right now. It's ugly. They have shown potential during this season, though.

We'll see. I just don't think it's time to give up on them yet.

Iowa was just fortunate in the UNI and OSU games.

UNI was dead cold from the field. And it has been shown that Iowa probably didn't have a lot to do with that.

OSU was clearly going thru the motions in the 1st half.

Iowa is undertalented, underathletic, and underdeep. bad combination, especially when some of the better guys out of that group are hurt.

It depends on which Iowa team shows up. The one from the UNI and OSU games or the one from the Purdue and NW games.

This team is inexperienced, has average talent, and is under a new coach.

Before the season, we expected Iowa to lose to teams they shouldn't (SDSU/NW/LBS). Now we just need them to start beaten teams they shouldn't.

I see Iowa beating Indiana at home, beating UM at home (the Wolverines are not good away from Crisler), and then sneaking 1 or 2 more at home. Roadies will be tough.

Interesting how everyone's opinion goes 180 after two bad outings (one on the road to a team that doesn't lose at home and has a double digit win streak and only 1 loss on the year). The NW game was inexcusable.

The Hawkeyes are playing very poorly right now. It's ugly. They have shown potential during this season, though.

We'll see. I just don't think it's time to give up on them yet.

Average talent compared to what? The entire NCAA? Maybe. The Big 10....no way.

The really frustrating pattern is that it seems like teams always come out of their shooting slumps against Iowa. There is a lack of perimeter defense, and until that gets corrected, we're going to continue to see opponents hitting 10-15 3s per game against us. We don't have the offense to compete with that.

Iowa needs to focus on the IU home game on 1/23. Must win. Battle for the basement. After that, I have my doubts....Michigan has some players that look good,like Morris,and Novack. If the Hawks can beat IU and Michigan, they avoid the cellar,as IU is also very bad.

I am so tired of Iowa basketball being irrelevant...I knew it was going to be irrelevant again this year, but nights like tonight just sink me to new lows.

Amen Jon. I used to live and breathe Iowa basketball. It is hard to see a game like last night, and the one before it against Purdue.

Latest posts