Can we expect the same Defensive gameplan as 'Zona from all of Iowa's opponents?

I0WA

I don't know if it was because they gave us a new look that Iowa didn't get the chance to prepare for or what but 'Zona made our offense 1 dimensional midway thru the 1st quarter as our run game was virtually gone throughout the game and had pressure on Stanzi every time he stepped back to throw. To give 'Zona some credit their D outplayed our Offense and I was wondering if we can expect this from some of our opponents. What do you think? I think there may be a chance Ball St. throws some blitzes on us but I think our run game will be there to setup play action, and I believe Penn St. will be Penn St. and stick to their traditional D. Never less I can't remember a D in the last 3 years that has pretty much screwed up our offensive gameplan to run and setup the P.A pass other than Arizona. Also after what Iv'e seen from Stanzi he seemed very good in the Shotgun Spread No Back offense we ran and I kinda wondered why we didn't run that O during our last drive when Stanzi had absolutely no time to throw the ball. But I think we should run that look more often when teams like to blitz.
(But I'm not Ken O'Keefe so IDK) lol

I don't know if it was because they gave us a new look that Iowa didn't get the chance to prepare for or what but 'Zona made our offense 1 dimensional midway thru the 1st quarter as our run game was virtually gone throughout the game and had pressure on Stanzi every time he stepped back to throw. To give 'Zona some credit their D outplayed our Offense and I was wondering if we can expect this from some of our opponents. What do you think? I think there may be a chance Ball St. throws some blitzes on us but I think our run game will be there to setup play action, and I believe Penn St. will be Penn St. and stick to their traditional D. Never less I can't remember a D in the last 3 years that has pretty much screwed up our offensive gameplan to run and setup the P.A pass other than Arizona. Also after what Iv'e seen from Stanzi he seemed very good in the Shotgun Spread No Back offense we ran and I kinda wondered why we didn't run that O during our last drive when Stanzi had absolutely no time to throw the ball. But I think we should run that look more often when teams like to blitz.
(But I'm not Ken O'Keefe so IDK) lol

Not without jumping out to a big lead. 'Zona was able to blitz relentlessly with reckless abandon because of the early lead. We won't see much of what we saw Saturday night.

Probably not. Arizona is a team built on the blitz. Just like Northwestern. I doubt other teams will completely revamp their D to blitz on 80+% of their plays. They'll also probably not put 8 or 9 in the box over and over. Arizona basically went "all in" on every defensive play and it worked out for them. But now we have footage of it and we know we have trouble picking up the blitz. I would expect that to be THE focus of the week in offensive practice.

With time restraints in college as far as practice goes, coaches just can implement entirely new schemes during the course of one week. You might be able to tinker a little, add a blitz package or two, but no Big 10 team is going to instill an AZ like blitzkrieg on us. Also, just because a team blitz's doesn't mean they are good at it. AZ is a good blitzing team as well.

the only reason that game plan was utilized was because they were up 14-0, they could dictate anything they wanted and made us beat them by the air something we dont do and we're very uncomfortable with. which is pretty common sense.

I would say yes. Until Iowa proves they can block the blitz up the middle with their young O-line or RB's. May I add that KOK has to help Stanzi & Iowa's O with effective play calling as well. There are plays one can call to help loosen up a blitz.

Yes. We could be in similar situations the rest of the way. Not because of special teams lapses but because now that we are one dimensional we are going to see a lot of 3 and outs and could see us getting behind quite frequently. We are going to be underdogs in every game except Saturday and Minnesota.

Yes. We could be in similar situations the rest of the way. Not because of special teams lapses but because now that we are one dimensional we are going to see a lot of 3 and outs and could see us getting behind quite frequently. We are going to be underdogs in every game except Saturday and Minnesota.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine. I hope you don't break your leg jumping off the bandwagon.

What on earth are you talking about? We're one dimensional because our backup RB got hurt? Really? Were you around for 2004 when Sam Brownlee led the team with a whopping 227 yards, 0 TDs and a long of 15 yards? We still won the Big Ten that year and beat an SEC team in a bowl game. Do you honestly feel like Jewel Hampton was why we were favored to win every game and now we're going to be underdogs every game (Indiana and Ball State included)?

The running game was shut down by that same blitz. It was swallowed whole. Against defenses who play it straight, the running game will be fine. And Big Ten defenses don't blitz like Arizona does. Teams play it too conservatively for that. They won't risk getting burned without the big lead.

I don't think we are one dimensional are you smoking some crack? We will still crank out yards on the ground and we will still play action. I don't care who they are, our defense will STILL keep us in every single game this year, mark it down.

"We are going to be underdogs in every game except Saturday and Minnesota."

I will not be underdogs against PSU, Wisky, MSU, Indiana or Northwestern. Michigan maybe and OSU Which will be favored by no more than three points barring some major injury problem worse than we already have.

can't wait for a couple of games for people like Ryno to go back in their caves, negativity on this board is amazing

Last edited:

Yikes, sorry! I should have put the sarcastic emoticon on here. Sarcasm isn't understood through text apparently.

Everyone on radio, internet is acting like it is the end of days, so I was just doing the same sarcastically.

So what I really meant was we will probably see the same blitz packages from good defensive teams (Wisconsin, MSU, OSU) but hopefully we don't dig ourselves in a whole early like we did against Arizona. If that is the case hopefully Robinson doesn't run right into the 7-9 man fronts or KOK throws a few screens every now and then to keep them respecting the short passing game.

FWIW, Jesse Palmer and Desmond Howard think MSU will have no problem with Iowa now and Iowa will be the underdog against Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin and Michigan. Palmer even said Northwestern should be favored.

Last edited:
Arizona didn't blitz us that often. They showed blitz but they got pressure with stunts. They stopped the run because they were lined up in 8 or 9 man fronts but they dropped into coverage almost the entire game. until the last series they rarely blitzed on a first or second down.

If other teams have 5th year SR DEs that they can afford to line up on the interior against our OGs and OTs ... and do so without having a substantial lead ... then they're going to have to deal with us simply running to the edge.

At the end of the game, speed and experience on the interior provided mismatches that we couldn't account for. I don't think that that is an adjustment that many teams will be able to pull off ... let alone afford to throw at us for any sort of extended period of time.

One dimensional? ARob is a good running back.

Another thing I thought was really impressive by Arizona was the use of their corners when Iowa lined up in an I formation with two tight ends. They basically doubled the WR with their corners. That I could see other teams trying. They then loaded the box with (you would assume) their best 9 run defenders. I was very impressed with Arizona's coaching staff in this game both offensively and defensively.

What on earth are you talking about? We're one dimensional because our backup RB got hurt? Really? Were you around for 2004 when Sam Brownlee led the team with a whopping 227 yards, 0 TDs and a long of 15 yards? We still won the Big Ten that year and beat an SEC team in a bowl game. Do you honestly feel like Jewel Hampton was why we were favored to win every game and now we're going to be underdogs every game (Indiana and Ball State included)?

Sam scored a touchdown against Ohio State, and one in the bowl game. Don't sell him short!

I'm not sure what many posters are talking about in terms of this elaborate defensive game plan that Arizona employed.

If you watch the first half they play a standard 4 - 3 just like we do 80% of the time. Much of the other times they played a 5 - 2. I noted 1-2 true blitzes of a linebacker and only 3 or 4 eight or nine man fronts,,,, one of which was on the goal-line. Most of the pressure in the first half came from 4 down lineman rushing.

In the second half they started blitzing more but usually the blitz was sending one or two of their line backers only. This means in addition to the 4 down lineman we had to pass protect against 6 guys at most. We had 5 offensive lineman and our running back often in pass protect. They simply beat us one on one and more often we just missed blocks. The missed assignments were not always the same lineman.... it varied on every play.

We simply lost the battle in the trenches; our O-Line against the Arizona front 4.

I'm just amazed at how many posts are talking about all these guys in the box and 9 blitzing players.... wow watch the game before posting.

Latest posts