Can someone explain how the covid-19 red shirt works?

VTHawk

Everyone gets an extra year of eligibility? Does this work for all players? Basketball and Football?

Everyone gets an extra year of eligibility? Does this work for all players? Basketball and Football?
It’s not really a redshirt, per se, because you can play a full year this year. There’s no requirement to sit out. You just get an extra year of eligibility.

The rule is pretty simple in terms of everyone getting an extra year, but it’s a little complicated in that you still have to be enrolled in 12 credit hours to be eligible for competition.

So if you graduate this year and still want to play next year, you can’t just hang out and compete without being a full time student. My guess is the rule isn’t going to be taken advantage of very much except for a few players who might have opted out due to Covid this year and skipped a year of school.

I really don’t see athletic departments being willing to pay scholarships to graduate programs in most cases and same goes for seniors. Maybe if you had a kid who planned on grad school anyway and was a ridiculously good player that the school wanted to keep around, but I’d think that situation would be pretty rare.

It’s not really a redshirt, per se, because you can play a full year this year. There’s no requirement to sit out. You just get an extra year of eligibility.

The rule is pretty simple in terms of everyone getting an extra year, but it’s a little complicated in that you still have to be enrolled in 12 credit hours to be eligible for competition.

So if you graduate this year and still want to play next year, you can’t just hang out and compete without being a full time student. My guess is the rule isn’t going to be taken advantage of very much except for a few players who might have opted out due to Covid this year and skipped a year of school.

I really don’t see athletic departments being willing to pay scholarships to graduate programs in most cases and same goes for seniors. Maybe if you had a kid who planned on grad school anyway and was a ridiculously good player that the school wanted to keep around, but I’d think that situation would be pretty rare.
I would think guys that played (or will play) this year but otherwise would have been RS candidates might stay 5 years.

Toussaint is the one guy I could see taking advantage of this rule...with Fran’s blessing. I think of how good Olaseni was his last year and how much he would have helped with another year. I could see that with Toussaint as well.

I would think guys that played (or will play) this year but otherwise would have been RS candidates might stay 5 years.

Toussaint is the one guy I could see taking advantage of this rule...with Fran’s blessing. I think of how good Olaseni was his last year and how much he would have helped with another year. I could see that with Toussaint as well.
Would Toussaint want to start grad school? That’s the real question. It’s a hell of a lot of fuckin work to maintain passing grades in grad school (unless you’re an MBA) just to keep playing basketball.

And that’s assuming Fran wants to keep paying his scholarship and forsaking an incoming recruit...

Would Toussaint want to start grad school? That’s the real question. It’s a hell of a lot of fuckin work to maintain passing grades in grad school (unless you’re an MBA) just to keep playing basketball.

And that’s assuming Fran wants to keep paying his scholarship and forsaking an incoming recruit...
I’m only looking at it from a basketball player (and coach) taking advantage of the free year to benefit player and team. I have no idea if it’s feasible on the academic side.

Latest posts