Can McCaffrey make it through the year

longtimer

No I don't think Barta is going to do anything, probably not until the close of the next year. I just wonder as frustration builds and it becomes more apparent that this is more than a rebuilding year issue Fran can hold it together? I know coaches yell and maybe even scream on occasion but McCaffrey has a temper that goes beyond that. Last night was another minor meltdown with the clipboard and scorer. As the season goes on and criticism starts flying he really needs to keep it together. I would hate to see an Iowa coach go the way of that infamous Indiana coach and both have had difficulty with chairs etc in the past.

Unfortunately I dont see this as a rebuilding year. We are young but just about every team plays freshmen. Our second year players have played a lot. We have one good player coming in next year but its not Michael Jordan. These are the players that will either do it or not, and as Ted Williams once said "If they are going to bite as dogs they are going to nip as pups"

The deal is, he coaches the exact same whether his team is losing or winning. Yelling and freak outs happened when Iowa was doing well, they are just certainly more noticeable and less tolerable when you see the product on the floor.

Just my observation - but Fran hasn't changed a bit with how he coaches since arriving at Iowa. It's just not tolerable when the product is terrible. When he was turning the program around, throwing chairs, people loved the fire and spirit. When he was taking teams to the tournament, people loved the passion. Now things aren't going well, and he's a lunatic. I've thought he was a lunatic the entire time BTW, but I don't mind that type of coach because they are every where in college basketball.

this year is taking on the getting experience for Nunge, Garza, Dailey and the sophs who played as freshmen.
Waiting on P. McCaffrey and Weiskamp to arrive.... not firing a coach w/ those 2 recruits who are rated as high as they are

What do the players think of him? Obviously it is a lot of eyes to the floor when he is yelling, but that could definitely wear them out quick, and once that turns and respect is lost, yelling only makes it worse.

this year is taking on the getting experience for Nunge, Garza, Dailey and the sophs who played as freshmen.
Waiting on P. McCaffrey and Weiskamp to arrive.... not firing a coach w/ those 2 recruits who are rated as high as they are
Maybe we can hire Mrs Mccaffry? Worked for Popovich

What do the players think of him? Obviously it is a lot of eyes to the floor when he is yelling, but that could definitely wear them out quick, and once that turns and respect is lost, yelling only makes it worse.

I'm guessing not too highly.
When your team is having "players only" meetings halfway thru a season (a few years ago), something is amiss I think.

Last edited:
I'm guessing not too highly.
When your team is having "players only" meetings halfway thru a season (a few years ago), something is amiss I think.

Even the players who have left haven't said a bad word about Fran on their way out. He hasn't lost a major minute contributor in the 8 years here. I know it's open season, and I get it, and I am disgruntled as can be with the program and him. But, there's no evidence to support this kind of stance at all.

Even the players who have left haven't said a bad word about Fran on their way out. He hasn't lost a major minute contributor in the 8 years here. I know it's open season, and I get it, and I am disgruntled as can be with the program and him. But, there's no evidence to support this kind of stance at all.

You seriously think an exiting player would publicly bad-mouth their previous coach?
Cmon now.

You seriously think an exiting player would publicly bad-mouth their previous coach?
Cmon now.

No, but does Fran have a transfer issue? Do any of his players bad mouth him period? During or after? They don't give a S about his tantrums and either do Iowa fans if he's winning.

And my whole point is, this isn't something he does when he's losing. He does it when he's winning too. It's who he is.

Just my observation - but Fran hasn't changed a bit with how he coaches since arriving at Iowa. It's just not tolerable when the product is terrible. When he was turning the program around, throwing chairs, people loved the fire and spirit. When he was taking teams to the tournament, people loved the passion. Now things aren't going well, and he's a lunatic. I've thought he was a lunatic the entire time BTW, but I don't mind that type of coach because they are every where in college basketball.

I thought for awhile he was being a bit better as he wanted to coach his kid for a few years. Unless a lot of losing, they only way he gets fired is a scandal which could include going crazy at games/practice.

I had
No, but does Fran have a transfer issue? Do any of his players bad mouth him period? During or after? They don't give a S about his tantrums and either do Iowa fans if he's winning.

Again, no player in their right mind is ever going to publicly bad-mouth a coach, current or previous.
I'm just saying, a "players only" meeting is odd.

I had

Again, no player in their right mind is ever going to publicly bad-mouth a coach, current or previous.
I'm just saying, a "players only" meeting is odd.

Again, I agree... but if the players hated him so bad or couldn't handle the ass chewing, you think 1 player of note would have left in 8 years, instead of guys who were just buried on the depth chart.

And child please, player only meetings happen literally ALL the time in sports, there are probably some going on right now. They typically come after under performing from a team with high expectations. They typically happen to good and bad coaches (Urban Meyer's FL teams come to mind)...

Latest posts