Can Martinez Lead NE?

StickUP

No doubt NE has a lot of positives. They should have a real good defense. Pelini is a good coach, and the players love him (media may not but that really doesn't matter). Burkhead (RB) is really good and runs even better out of the wildcat.

However, can a team be that good without a complete QB? Martinez can run no doubt, but his passing has a lot of improvement to do. On top of that, the team and coach do not like him.

NE is being picked by everyone to win the division and the league. I actually like Iowa's chance in this game. Iowa struggles with QBs who are accurate passers. Martinez is not that. On the other hand, maybe Iowa won't even score on them, but I still like their chances.

Last edited:
Iowa will score their share against NE. Maybe not enough to win, but they'll move the ball.

I dont think he will stay healthy for very long, in the B10.
B12 north defenses dont often resemble B10 defenses and he couldnt stay healthy against those teams.

ahhhhhh Nebraska was in full meltdown mode for the entire second half of the season last year. Until I see a team that performs 100% better than the ISU game Nebraska , I will not buy into any of this hype.

No doubt NE has a lot of positives. They should have a real good defense. Pelini is a good coach, and the players love him (media may not but that really doesn't matter). Burkhead (RB) is really good and runs even better out of the wildcat.

However, can a team be that good without a complete QB? Martinez can run no doubt, but his passing has a lot of improvement to do. On top of that, the team and coach do not like him.

NE is being picked by everyone to win the division and the league. I actually like Iowa's chance in this game. Iowa struggles with QBs who are accurate passers. Martinez is not that. On the other hand, maybe Iowa won't even score on them, but I still like their chances.
I know that we had some pretty good teams led by what many considered to be "running" qb's named Crouch, Frost, and Frazier.

We have probably the best defense in the league in this year. Early last year, the offense played well, some thought that we had the best O-Line in the nation, but we found out later that was not true. If our OL plays well, we should be fine. Defense and a good running game wins championships.

Martinez does have a lot of work to do regarding his passing ability, but he can be a good qb. See the OK St. game. Yes, their defense was horrible, but he had a dang good game, and he was a pretty decent passer prior to his injury. The main thing is, once he got hurt, he lost confidence. If he does not regain it, he may find himself on the bench.

I dont think he will stay healthy for very long, in the B10.
B12 north defenses dont often resemble B10 defenses and he couldnt stay healthy against those teams.
*sigh* Yes, because the Big 10 is the only conference that plays tackle football, the rest play touch. :rolleyes:

The last time I checked, football players in all leagues, at all levels get sprained ankles and turf toe.

I will say, he doesn't do himself any favors when he goes into contact, he does take some shots. Regardless of what league he plays in, he runs the risk of injury.

ahhhhhh Nebraska was in full meltdown mode for the entire second half of the season last year. Until I see a team that performs 100% better than the ISU game Nebraska , I will not buy into any of this hype.

This sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Not another one of these. I dont think they run as well as they did in the B12. I dont think their D ranks as high in the B10 as it did in the B12. I mean T-mart can dink and dunk, but he better have very good protection to get it done. That pretty much says it all. If I was Wiskey, Nebbys first game in the conf, I would pound the ball all day long and blitz a little more than normal. I think there O-line cant stand up and if you rattle T-mart, it's game over. He will then go into flight mode and they have a season like Mich just had.

Not another one of these. I dont think they run as well as they did in the B12. I dont think their D ranks as high in the B10 as it did in the B12. I mean T-mart can dink and dunk, but he better have very good protection to get it done. That pretty much says it all. If I was Wiskey, Nebbys first game in the conf, I would pound the ball all day long and blitz a little more than normal. I think there O-line cant stand up and if you rattle T-mart, it's game over. He will then go into flight mode and they have a season like Mich just had.
Many people who know more about football than you or me would disagree with you, but I digress.

We will find out. Soon enough ;)

Last edited:
Many people who know more about football than you or me would disagree with you, but I digress.

We will find out. Soon enough ;)

Yep, I am excited about this year. Mich St, Nebraska, Iowa all pushing hard and Northwestern and Mich trying to get 7 or 8+. Should be a rough season. I truely think injuries and depth play a role in how all that pans out. Makes for a hard prediction. Tough to not look 2 and 3 deep this year.

I know that we had some pretty good teams led by what many considered to be "running" qb's named Crouch, Frost, and Frazier.

We have probably the best defense in the league in this year. Early last year, the offense played well, some thought that we had the best O-Line in the nation, but we found out later that was not true. If our OL plays well, we should be fine. Defense and a good running game wins championships.

Martinez does have a lot of work to do regarding his passing ability, but he can be a good qb. See the OK St. game. Yes, their defense was horrible, but he had a dang good game, and he was a pretty decent passer prior to his injury. The main thing is, once he got hurt, he lost confidence. If he does not regain it, he may find himself on the bench.

*sigh* Yes, because the Big 10 is the only conference that plays tackle football, the rest play touch. :rolleyes:

The last time I checked, football players in all leagues, at all levels get sprained ankles and turf toe.

I will say, he doesn't do himself any favors when he goes into contact, he does take some shots. Regardless of what league he plays in, he runs the risk of injury.

This sounds reasonable.

Don't steal my line!

After watching nearly every NE game last year, I believe this team will struggle. People got really enamored with TMart in the beginning of the year and many of his running stats were racked up against inferior opponents. Additionally, he was an unknown quantity but as opposing coaching staffs had more and more film on him, they were able to design defensive schemes to key on his tendencies.
Other points:
1. Second year starter slump
2. New-ish passing game this year.
3. Transition to new league (lots o' change)
4. Newer wide receivers...just not really proven yet.
5. Last year 2 really good RBs. What is depth behind Burkhead?
6. OL questions.
7. BIG has more ball controlled offensive teams. This means less offensive plays for opposition and less ability to get into the groove. Must be patient to move the ball.
8. Brutal schedule. Mental fatigue and physical fatigue.
9. Players all get injuries. Some players games lend to playing injured, others like TMart, get stifled because their game relies on their feet and mobility and not on reading defenses and accuracy.

Just my two (or more) cents.

After watching nearly every NE game last year, I believe this team will struggle. People got really enamored with TMart in the beginning of the year and many of his running stats were racked up against inferior opponents. Additionally, he was an unknown quantity but as opposing coaching staffs had more and more film on him, they were able to design defensive schemes to key on his tendencies.
Very valid points.

1. Second year starter slump
Meh, I think that this is more a myth, some players actually make big gains in their second season as a starter. Each player is different.

2. New-ish passing game this year.
Good point. The rumor being ciculated is that in the new passing game, we have option routes, where as the old passing game, he was forced to throw to a spot, even if the receiver wasn't open. This is a wait and see.

3. Transition to new league (lots o' change)
Good point. But it works both ways, we will be something new for everyone in the league to adjust to, also.

4. Newer wide receivers...just not really proven yet.
Certainly. There are 3 or 4 guys that need to step up to be playmakers, Stanly-Babtiste, Turner, Enunwa, and Bell are pretty good looking candidates, guys to keep on your radar.

5. Last year 2 really good RBs. What is depth behind Burkhead?
Great point. There are 2 or 3 sophs/jrs behind him that likely won't make any impact. 4 newcomers-Soph (I think) transfer Morrow is a big back who can play either IB or FB, but I'm not sure if he will be eligible to play this year. True FR. Green was one of the top backs in the nation, very fast, shifty. True FR Heard was one of the top in the nation last year, tough and fast. True FR Abullah was kind of a sleeper, fast and shifty, almost like a wingback. 2 or 3 of these guys will contribute.

6. OL questions.
Great point. We now have 2 asst. coaches, a GA, and an intern working with the OL, instead of just 1 asst. coach. Hopefully it pays off.

7. BIG has more ball controlled offensive teams. This means less offensive plays for opposition and less ability to get into the groove. Must be patient to move the ball.
Never thought of this. Rumor has it that Beck & Pelini wants this offense to be uptempo, more along what Oregon does. We shall see.

8. Brutal schedule. Mental fatigue and physical fatigue.
True, hopefully the guys are conditioned well.

9. Players all get injuries. Some players games lend to playing injured, others like TMart, get stifled because their game relies on their feet and mobility and not on reading defenses and accuracy.
Great point. Not only this, but his ankle and toe injuries last year threw off his footwork in passing. He couldn't push off, and he couldn't plant without pain, from my understanding. He didn't look to be fully recovered in the spring scrimmage either.

There are alot of questions to answer, but that is the nature of college football. It will be interesting, hopefully fun.

I have a roommate that is a NE fan, so I unfortunately had to spend time watching those games this past season. I have to say that I was never too impressed with Martinez against good competition. He put up crazy numbers versus weaker opponents but was injury prone and inaccurate when playing the B12 schedule.

This being said, Iowa has struggled year to year facing quarterbacks who can scramble. That's not to say that I think they can't win, but I'll be holding my breath on 3rd downs when Martinez gets out of the pocket.

Go Hawks

I have a roommate that is a NE fan, so I unfortunately had to spend time watching those games this past season. I have to say that I was never too impressed with Martinez against good competition. He put up crazy numbers versus weaker opponents but was injury prone and inaccurate when playing the B12 schedule.

This being said, Iowa has struggled year to year facing quarterbacks who can scramble. That's not to say that I think they can't win, but I'll be holding my breath on 3rd downs when Martinez gets out of the pocket.

Go Hawks

We do, but i wouldn't really say martinez scrambles in the way say...Pryor or Persa scrambles. At least from my viewing (which admittedly isn't a ton) he's more of a runner ala Denard Robinson. Who we don't usually struggle with.

We do, but i wouldn't really say martinez scrambles in the way say...Pryor or Persa scrambles. At least from my viewing (which admittedly isn't a ton) he's more of a runner ala Denard Robinson. Who we don't usually struggle with.

I agree that Martinez compares more to Robinson. However, looking back at last year the Hawks still gave up over 100 yds rushing to Robinson @ Michigan in only part of the game. I can't remember the quarter, but I know he got knocked out with an injury at some point. Robinson wasn't ever much of a threat to pass that game, and I think it will be similar when facing Martinez. Hopefully Prater and Hyde can team up for some easy picks!

I agree that Martinez compares more to Robinson. However, looking back at last year the Hawks still gave up over 100 yds rushing to Robinson @ Michigan in only part of the game. I can't remember the quarter, but I know he got knocked out with an injury at some point. Robinson wasn't ever much of a threat to pass that game, and I think it will be similar when facing Martinez. Hopefully Prater and Hyde can team up for some easy picks!

He may have had 100 yards but he was pretty ineffective.

Robinson was on pace for about 400 total yards against us last year, so anybody who remotely replicates his game makes me nervous.

You guys all make sense. From what I have seen, T-Mart isn't the best scrambler in the world, he lacks pocket presence. Now, with a year under his wing, and hopefully 2 healthy wheels, he will be able to feel pressure better and act accordingly.

Most of his yards came on runs designed for him to run, and not even on zone reads, so much.

sigh.....

Nebraska faced 3 B12 defenses that were ranked in the top 50, last year.
Texas - #7
Missouri - #42
Texas AnM - #50

The B10 had 6 teams in the top 44.
Ohio State - #2
Iowa - #15
Wisconsin - #22
Mich St - #31
ILL - #37
Penn St - #44

I wish people would take the time to get their facts before they post.....sigh

This sounds reasonable.

Same goes for you.
Nebraska faced 3 B12 defenses that were ranked in the top 50, last year.
Texas - #7
Missouri - #42
Texas AnM - #50

The B10 had 6 teams in the top 44.
Ohio State - #2
Iowa - #15
Wisconsin - #22
Mich St - #31
ILL - #37
Penn St - #44

I wish people would take the time to get their facts before they post.....sigh

Latest posts