Can Joe Weiskamp be the second coming

cockyhawkfan

of Chris Street? I know...it's a ridiculous comparison at this stage of his career and not fair to Chris's legacy or Joe. The comparison I'm trying to make isn't about playing style or ability, however. Coincidentally on the anniversary of Chris's death, I've been thinking a lot this week, about what it will take to bring the passion back to Iowa basketball. Sure Fran has had some success that's been exciting, but nothing beyond the 2nd round of the NCAA. I for one, think he needs one more year, but I think this topic has run it's course. He's not going anywhere after this year.

But my point is, could Joe be that second coming of that home grown kid that's grown up a Hawkeye fan, help the team achieve success and light a fire under the Iowa fan base? Even in the years under Fran, where we have made the NCAA, Carver still doesn't have the same spirit it had in the 80's and 90's.

Pride is contagious and it's been a long time, since a local kid this highly ranked, has picked the Hawks. I have no expectations for what I think Joe can accomplish, but deep down, I hope he brings the fire back to Iowa basketball.

Damnit, I didnt realize I was in the football forum. Sorry, if someone can move this to the basketball forum that would be great!

It's all good most of the football fans are hoops fans too. I was kinda hoping Baer coulda been that Cinderella type story for us too... But yeah Weiskamp I hope can be similar to what Matt Gatens was as a player perhaps. Chris Street is just well.... Chris Street there is no matching what he meant on almost any level in my book.

Over on the hoops board Joe is already too slow and per most posters, there's NO help on the way and next years team is exactly this years team. Also, he's coming to Iowa no matter who the coach is, he just loves it THAT much. So...maybe it will do better over here.

Short answer: doubtful. Sure, he can be a good, even great player. But....he doesn't have the supporting cast he needs. He is not going to be able to carry this team by himself.

The real question is: Can Joe Weiskamp get this team to actually play defense, or will they keep playing defense like they're all toreadors?

But in seriousness, maybe? Depends on if this team actually commits to playing for each other and like a team. Maybe Joe comes in and gives them some renewed hope and energy, but I don't know enough about the kid. This team needs to really reassess in the offseason and decide if they're going to keep putting forth a half ass effort, or if they're actually going to commit. Fran needs to focus on defense, big time. I'm not going to hold my breath...

Can he play linebacker? Geez, we are basically scouring the globe for anyone who can play linebacker right now. I was watching National Geographic about the lion population in Zambia and I swear I saw Phil Parker talking to a guy carrying a 300lb barrel of rice.

Over on the hoops board Joe is already too slow and per most posters, there's NO help on the way and next years team is exactly this years team. Also, he's coming to Iowa no matter who the coach is, he just loves it THAT much. So...maybe it will do better over here.

Not sure why you'd say that. He has nice shooting form (unlike some D1 coach's kids). The videos of him mostly show him playing against much faster competition than...um a D1 coach's kid. Seems to be able to be physical. Seems like a type of player we haven't had in a long time. Kind of like Tom Norman maybe.

Sometimes, you are so over the top dramatic.

Yeah probably, I won't deny it, and its some reverse trolling the trolls - it's calculated but I am not wrong tho - there's 15 page post discussing how he won't help next door and that's just 1 thread out of 15. So, call me dramatic, I think you might be dramatic over thinking I am dramatic.

Not sure why you'd say that. He has nice shooting form (unlike some D1 coach's kids). The videos of him mostly show him playing against much faster competition than...um a D1 coach's kid. Seems to be able to be physical. Seems like a type of player we haven't had in a long time. Kind of like Tom Norman maybe.

I don't say that - clearly.

Can he play linebacker? Geez, we are basically scouring the globe for anyone who can play linebacker right now. I was watching National Geographic about the lion population in Zambia and I swear I saw Phil Parker talking to a guy carrying a 300lb barrel of rice.

Maybe Ryan Boyle can play LB :eek:

Th

Fran needs to focus on defense, big time. I'm not going to hold my breath...

I have noticed that Fran's players never are very good at getting into a really good, low defensive position. They play a lot on the defensive end fairly vertical. Whether you liked Coach K or Duke or not his teams played with a lot of defensive energy and enthusiasm which he learned from Knight at Army.

Fran has always seemed to be more about offense and outscoring the opponent.

First off Joe is going to help next year's team out. Secondly Joe grew up a big Hawkeye fan so I don't think anyone is out of line by assuming he will be coming here even if Fran loses his job just like I wouldn't expect him to want out of his LOI even if we only win 2 conference games.

He is an upgrade in talent and should see the court a lot next year. He reminds me of Robby Hummel from Purdue. He will make Iowa better, just don't think he can do it alone.

IMO - he doesn't have to do it alone. FR Joe W & Connor, SO Garza and Nunge and JR. Jordan & Cook,are all upgrades in talent next season. I know I am in the minority on this board, but I think they can rebound next season.

IMO - he doesn't have to do it alone. FR Joe W & Connor, SO Garza and Nunge and JR. Jordan & Cook,are all upgrades in talent next season. I know I am in the minority on this board, but I think they can rebound next season.

Just like SO Pemsl JR Baer and SR Uhl are all upgrades in talent this season?

Certain players are conspicuous in their absence from your list. Was that intentional?

Just like SO Pemsl JR Baer and SR Uhl are all upgrades in talent this season?

Uhl, no, no one expected him to even contribute this season did they? I mean, not seriously. I didn't expect him to play as much as he has. While Baer had a great sophomore season, I don't think anyone expected him to be All Conference caliber player even with 6th Man award. He's a role player. Same with Pemsl. Nice player, but Cook is the forward on the scouting reports. I am not just listing every player on the team. I think Jordan, Cook, Nunge, Garza and Joe W could all become All B1G selections down the road.

Latest posts