Can Ferentz put the 3 TOs he had...

iHawk

in his pocket at the end of the first half in the CyHawk trophy case? Maybe that's what he was saving them for.

When did we need to use them? We didn't have any delay of games. We didn't have the ball at the end of the half so we weren't fighting the clock.
I'm confused.

When did we need to use them? We didn't have any delay of games. We didn't have the ball at the end of the half so we weren't fighting the clock.
I'm confused.

We had the ball at midfield with under 2 minutes left and the clock was ticking away. 3 timeouts in his pocket. Instead of stopping the clock to get it together JVB threw a pick.

Last edited:
When did we need to use them? We didn't have any delay of games. We didn't have the ball at the end of the half so we weren't fighting the clock. I'm confused.
IIRC the we had the ball on the ISU side of the field with under 2 minutes left and the clock was ticking away. 3 timeouts in his pocket.

and we punted back to isu. shame on kf for not leaving them with more time.

Huh? We had a chance to make the most out of the last 1:41, and instead we just let the clock run. Would have been nice to stop the clock to get our shtuff together, no?

Last edited:
Don't really know your question, but I have one. At the end of the half with some where between 25-30 seconds left and ISU runs the clock down for a really long FG with 1 second on the clock. The ISU kicker has the distance and misses on his attempt and obviously has the leg. If we call timeout at the 25 second mark does CPR try the FG or decide to punt?

Don't really know your question, but I have one. At the end of the half with some where between 25-30 seconds left and ISU runs the clock down for a really long FG with 1 second on the clock. The ISU kicker has the distance and misses on his attempt and obviously has the leg. If we call timeout at the 25 second mark does CPR try the FG or decide to punt?

Good question.

There it is. The real reason Iowa lost.
As you can see my initial post was an attempt at humor - but it addresses a looming larger issue; and now that it's morning and I'm in front of my computer instead of laying in bed poking at an iPad I'll elaborate a bit.

Firstly, there were a myriad of reasons Iowa lost yesterday, and I certainly wasn't implying that KF's use of timeouts on our last possession of the first half was the stand alone reason.

But... when you are down AND clearly struggling offensively and you take over possession on your own 34 in the 2nd quarter with just 1:41 left on the clock - you should use everything at your disposal to make the most out of those precious seconds, because you're very likely NOT going to get the ball back should you fail. We were at midfield and the seconds and any chance at either a TD or a FG were wasting away. Take a TO, get your coaches and team together and make the most out of it.

An unsettled JVB ends up throwing a pick - and ISU gets the ball back. What did they do? They took some shots downfield. Hats off to Rhodes for gunning for the endzone when they got the ball after the pick too. They didn't rest and take their tiny lead to halftime, as we've seen from Ferentz SO MANY TIMES (ahead or behind on the scoreboard). They're gunning for it, man!

I also really don't want to hear anything about worrying about scoring too fast and giving ISU the ball back with time on the clock in that situation either. Iowa is no offensive juggernaut at this point that can worry about stuff such as that. That's crazy talk. We need to get some points on the board PERIOD.

This all kinda leads me to another rant I'll get off my chest:

I really like Ferentz and what he brings to the program, but he simply doesn’t GET some things (besides clockwork); and one of those is the whole "rivalry" concept. Some of these teams like ISU and NW want to beat Iowa BADLY for whatever their particular reason. They want to punch Iowa in the face! Literally at one point yesterday.

It's NOT business as usual, but we continue to treat it that way - and we get this result far too often.

Rant done. Have a good Sunday! Go Bears!

Actually, I was thinking hail mary when we let them run it down to :01. You're right, though, that kid had enough on that kick to make it if he had the line.

I was yelling for an Iowa timeout here. I thought they were going to throw a hail mary, but either way, Kirk let them get a free chance at points. If we call timeout, ISU most likely punts, they don't want to give us the ball at the 39 with 20 seconds left. (although, we would have taken a knee anyways)

I also really don't want to hear anything about worrying about scoring too fast and giving ISU the ball back with time on the clock in that situation either. Iowa is no offensive juggernaut at this point that can worry about stuff such as that. That's crazy talk. We need to get some points on the board PERIOD.

Honestly, I think we were worried about having to punt it back to them too quickly. Scoring too fast is not a problem with our scheme unless the D misses some tackles. However, three incompletions usually take a grand total of 15 seconds or so. If we start burning TOs there, the much likelier scenario involved us punting to ISU with 1:26 left and them marching the field.

There's a balance to it. 1:41 is plenty of time, especially now that we're often breaking the huddle with :20 on the play clock (how often before would Iowa even have still had 3 TOs available there, amirite?). If we hit on two more pass plays to get to about the ISU 35 yd line with :50 to go, Kirk would have emptied the TO kitty. He often has clock management fails, but that was not one of them.

in his pocket at the end of the first half in the CyHawk trophy case? Maybe that's what he was saving them for.

We didn't need a timeout yet. There was tons of time left. The offense had a little momentum going. People around me were crying for a timeout, but I thought the best thing was to let the offense keep going.

You can't blame JVB's pick on the lack of a timeout.

Latest posts