Calling all Jake Rudock defenders

QuadCityHawkeye

Make your case as to why he should be starting.

I'll make a case for CJ. He's basically everything Rudock is not. He's not a cannon for an arm, is more mobile, can make a throw in the pocket under pressure, and provides a spark. He also fits the offense Iowa is trying to run better and gets the ball out faster. Yes he doesn't have the experience, but he's got a higher ceiling then Rudock and a NFL arm. If he had be starting since the Iowa State game I'm willing to bet Iowa doesn't lose to Maryland or to Nebraska. He should have be starting this year to get experience for next year. I'd rather have Rudock transfer then Beathard, but Beathard is more talented in every aspect of the game. He just doesn't have the experience but look at that Ohio State QB. He had no experience and lit it up this year.

OK Rudock defenders. The ball is now in your court.

I'll make a case for CJ. He's basically everything Rudock is not. He's not a cannon for an arm, is more mobile, can make a throw in the pocket under pressure, and provides a spark. He also fits the offense Iowa is trying to run better and gets the ball out faster. Yes he doesn't have the experience, but he's got a higher ceiling then Rudock and a NFL arm. If he had be starting since the Iowa State game I'm willing to bet Iowa doesn't lose to Maryland or to Nebraska. He should have be starting this year to get experience for next year. I'd rather have Rudock transfer then Beathard, but Beathard is more talented in every aspect of the game. He just doesn't have the experience but look at that Ohio State QB. He had no experience and lit it up this year.

Am I missing something? Do you think someone is going to come on this board and make a case for Ruddock starting over Bethard? If so, what planet are you on? And if you are being facetious, I apologize for missing it.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? Do you think someone is going to come on this board and make a case for Ruddock starting over Bethard? If so, what planet are you on?
You never know. Some people still support Ferentz and some people like black liqourice too.

I think the rest of the team really let down Jake this afternoon. He was making throws and hitting guys on the numbers and they were running the wrong routes or dropping passes or giving up on the play. Greg Davis didn't use his skill set right this season. The pressure on the so-called "fans" calling for the backup didn't help either. You saw glimpses of what JR is capable up, but GD has something against him and some people were sabotaging the gameplans. The offensive line was not exactly a strength either.

I'm not really a Rudock defender, but I feel like Rudock got a lot of blame that he didn't deserve.

I think the rest of the team really let down Jake this afternoon. He was making throws and hitting guys on the numbers and they were running the wrong routes or dropping passes or giving up on the play. Greg Davis didn't use his skill set right this season. The pressure on the so-called "fans" calling for the backup didn't help either. You saw glimpses of what JR is capable up, but GD has something against him and some people were sabotaging the gameplans. The offensive line was not exactly a strength either.
I will agree there have been a lot of bad drops this season (like Hamilton today in the end zone), but I can't get over poorly thrown balls and missed WR's. Just today Jake threw a pass behind a WR on that first drive, and then threw a pick. Both were behind the WR. Then you have him overthrowing a wide open Powell, and not seeing a wide open Smith later in the game. Jake cost Iowa at least 10 points I feel today. He also had several other poor throws. The one into triple coverage in the second half comes to mind right away.

I don't think Jake is terrible, I just think CJ is a better QB. Iowa has two capable QB's on this team but one is just better then the other I think. CJ has so many more skills.

Couldn't agree more

He didn't get the ball out fast enough numerous times. He didn't hit a wide open Powell for a TD. He didn't even see or throw to a wide open Manley. A fade route to Hamilton a TE in the end zone is a joke but that prob is more on Derp Davis.

Last edited:
Why would you bash Jake? He's told to go into the game and be the quarterback. That's what he does. Is he supposed to tell Kirk, 'No, CJ is better. He should play?'

Doesn't work like that.

These decisions are coaching decisions and that is where the angst should lie, if you are so inclined.

Why would you bash Jake? He's told to go into the game and be the quarterback. That's what he does. Is he supposed to tell Kirk, 'No, CJ is better. He should play?'

Doesn't work like that.

These decisions are coaching decisions and that is where the angst should lie, if you are so inclined.
I wasn't bashing Jake, I was just presenting examples of things he doesn't do as well as CJ. I think Rudock is decent QB, but I just think Beathard is better. I don't fault Rudock's effort at all, I just think he is limited in certain areas. I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he cost Iowa some points today on the INT and missing a wide open Powell/Smith.

I'll never boo the kid but I do think there is a better option at QB.

If Iowa didn't have another option as a backup I wouldn't be bringing this up. I never wanted other QB's in the past benched but I feel right now one should be.

Last edited:

Doesn't work like that.

I agree bashing is not needed, but i think CJ could do what is asked for a kf team by managing the game but also provide a couple more attributes that could benefit the team or be a difference maker. I think that is what the OP was saying.

He is what he his. He does the best he can.

It's on Ferentz for not having the best players on the field. If we are playing for 7-5 next year I would take my chances on Beathard.

What game did you watch? Defense scored only TD of the first half, Jake had a red zone fumble and a red zone int. He could of had two or three more int in first half, balls way behind receivers, balls thrown late, and throwing in double coverage. Once Neby committed to stopping the run, Jake could not deliver yet again

Jake didn't have it today. Between bad throws, dropped passes, and some bad decisions, CJ should have got a chance today.

It's not all on Jake though, the coaches need to take some heat also for that third quarter.

Please try harder next time

Doesn't work like that.

I agree this is a coaching decision. I feel we've seen the good and bad of Jake, he's a good QB but I think CJ's upside is above just being good he just needs a chance to prove it. You can't have a QB controversy if the backup doesn't see the field. If a player isn't getting it done the coaches don't have a problem putting someone else in at any other position so why is QB off limits. I just hope we don't lose CJ.

JR is the sole cause of the loss? Really? Why don't you start a thread for the secondary? Bench all of them too. Once again they put an opposing QB with below average throwing ability and turn him into the star of the game. Minnesota, Wisconsin and now Nebraska's QB beat us with their arm. That if freak'en sad.

Doesn't work like that.

Yes, in 1971 TC Williams High School was struggling on defense as CB Alan Bosely was getting beat like he stole something, he told coach to take him out and put Petey in. Coach Yoast listened to him and it turned the defense around. That's real leadership, the kind championship level teams need, that's something that's not found in an organic chem book, no matter how many hours you spend studying it.

Yes, in 1971 TC Williams High School was struggling on defense as CB Alan Bosely was getting beat like he stole something, he told coach to take him out and put Petey in. Coach Yoast listened to him and it turned the defense around. That's real leadership, the kind championship level teams need, that's something that's not found in an organic chem book, no matter how many hours you spend studying it.

You mean that movie wasn't about racial harmony?:)

Latest posts