Caitlin Clark sweepstakes

Zstatman

Do you think the WNBA team's would tank to get a shot at Caitlin in next year's draft, even though she can come back for another year? I do.

I'm guessing it's not lost on them the impact she is having on women's basketball.

There are 12 teams in the WNBA and 8 of them make the playoffs. Here are the current four and their records that aren't in that top 8:

team and record
#9 Indiana Fever 4-6
#10 Minnesota Lynx 4-7
#11 Seattle Storm 3-8
#12 Phoenix Mercury 2-9

I think she should pick her team and make the league knuckle under. I also wonder if her NIL money might exceed what the league can pay her.

She certainly won't need the paltry salary that the Women make

$102,751...The average salary in the WNBA

Caitlin is a business major and already makes Million/MillionS a year while enjoying
the college life in Iowa City, which used to be legendary

She will be a TARGET for the ladies in the WNBA

Angel Reese all over again Big Time Everywhere

Personally, I hope Caitlin stays that extra year, she made following the Lady Hawks a lot of fun. When they were clicking on all cylinders, they were exciting.

I'm still amazed at how the casual fan, not even a Hawk fan, got into watching her and the Hawks.

But let me through this out there.

AS Fry and others have stated the WNBA is boring. Even with their best athletes it's just missing something. Becky Hammons in Las Vegas has the Aces playing defense so there is that.

But the WNBA knows who Caitlin Clark is and knows what she might mean to the league. I'm guessing she could revolutionize the women's game. Can she make it more exciting? I think So.

So, if I were the owner of the #1 pick next year could I incentivize her to skip that last year? I'd give it a shot. Are there bonuses that can be paid? What about endorsements? I'd guess that could be NIL money on steroids. TV commercials? What would she do for tv ratings, fans in the stands?

I keep thinking about that Timberwolves playoff game against the Nuggets where she was sitting courtside, next to C McCaffrey BTW. They put her face on the jumbotron and she waived to the crowd. An announcer came and sat next to her courtside and interviewed her! Do you think the Lynx want the gal from just down the road on I-35? And, the Lynx are in that bottom mix listed above.

There's a lot of stuff to unfold before Caitlin plays this next season at Iowa. The WNBA will likely know who has that top pick even before the college season starts. Stay tuned is my thought.

And, another thought I've had, who picked up the tab for those playoff courtside seats? I'd guess they were pricey.

Does Caitlin have so much NIL money she picked up two for Connor and she? Did Fran pick them up, he certainly has enough money? Luka Garza was in the stands that night, they showed him on tv, did he do it, he certainly is making good money? Or would the TWolves/Lynx have comped them?

The Phoenix Mercury, Megan Gustafson's team, fired their coach after a 23 point loss to #11 seed Seattle Storm. Lead assistant coach, Nikki Blue, will be interim coach for the rest of the year.

Sweepstake standings as of today, Monday.

#9 Chicago Sky 5-9
#10 Minnesota Lynx 4-9
#11 Seattle Storm 4-9
#12 Phoenix Mercury 2-10

as of 7/7:

9 LA Sparks 7-11
10 Indiana Fever 7-9
11 Seattle Storm 4-13
12 Phoenix Mercury 3-13

The Phoenix Mercury, Megan Gustafson's team, fired their coach after a 23 point loss to #11 seed Seattle Storm. Lead assistant coach, Nikki Blue, will be interim coach for the rest of the year.

Sweepstake standings as of today, Monday.

#9 Chicago Sky 5-9
#10 Minnesota Lynx 4-9
#11 Seattle Storm 4-9
#12 Phoenix Mercury 2-10
I've heard there's a lot of drama from 3 players on the Phoenix Mercury. Skylar Diggins-Smith and Sophie Cunningham are 2 of them and I can't remember who the third one was. I don't think Phoenix would be a good place to land for Caitlin.

There is nothing in the news about drama in the Mercury locker room. Maybe you know Meg G and she's giving you the inside scoop.

What I do know is that Diggins-Smith is on maternity leave and hasn't even played for the Mercury this year.

Two years ago, Diggins Smith sat in with Tom Chambers and Tom Leander for Pheonix Suns pregame, halftime, and post-game talk. She id a pretty good job by all accounts. This past year Sophie Cunningham got that job and was really popular. Don't know if that would cause a rift, though?

Anyway, the Mercury just aren't very good. Diana Taurasi is like 42 years old and will soon become the first WNBA player to score 10,000 points in a career.

Whatever team gets Caitlin will likely, IMO, start revamping their roster to pick up more speed for an up tempo game. Right now, the Las Vegas Aces rule the roost and a Caitlin led team could maybe mount a challenge.

One of the starters for the Aces is K Stokes of Iowa HS fame.

There is nothing in the news about drama in the Mercury locker room. Maybe you know Meg G and she's giving you the inside scoop.

What I do know is that Diggins-Smith is on maternity leave and hasn't even played for the Mercury this year.

Two years ago, Diggins Smith sat in with Tom Chambers and Tom Leander for Pheonix Suns pregame, halftime, and post-game talk. She id a pretty good job by all accounts. This past year Sophie Cunningham got that job and was really popular. Don't know if that would cause a rift, though?

Anyway, the Mercury just aren't very good. Diana Taurasi is like 42 years old and will soon become the first WNBA player to score 10,000 points in a career.

Whatever team gets Caitlin will likely, IMO, start revamping their roster to pick up more speed for an up tempo game. Right now, the Las Vegas Aces rule the roost and a Caitlin led team could maybe mount a challenge.

One of the starters for the Aces is K Stokes of Iowa HS fame.

I have a feeling Clark would really like to play for the Lynx. She gone to watch them and her family could easily travel to watch. They might not have the first pick, but I could see her playing there for some reason.

I have no idea how they do their drafts. Do they do the lottery system like the NBA?

NBA stars these days cand pretty much dictate what teams they want to play for. Let's see if Caitlin has that kind of star power when the time comes.

At the WNBA All Star break:

#9 LA Sparks 7-13
#10 Indiana Fever 5-15
#11 Phoenix Mercury 4-15
#12 Seattle Storm 4-16

I would like to see her try coaching. But I would never want her not to play if she wants to. I still think the NIL money at Iowa should prevail unless the WNBA can offer up something better. I have my doubts that they can. Once her college eligibility is used she can still earn a hefty salary playing pro or coaching if she wants.

with a month or so to go in the regular season:

9 Los Angeles Sparks 9-18
10 Phoenix Mercury 7-19
11 Indiana Fever 7-20
12 Seattle Storm 6-20

Asof August 13:

Conspiracy theory - The Indiana Pacers hired C Mac to add some spice to attracting CC to the WNBA............

9 LA Sparks 12-18
10 Seattle Storm 9-21
11 Phoenix Mercury 9-21
12 Indiana Fever 8-23

The final standings for the 2023 WNBA season:

It appears the Phoenix Mercury will get the #1 pick in the 2024 draft.

The Mercury ended the season on a franchise record 11 game losing streak.

Mayhaps a Megan Gustafson - Caitlin Clark reunion the in the desert?

#9 LA Sparks 17-23
#10 Indiana Fever 13-27
#11 Seattle Storm 11-29
#12 Phoenix Mercury 9-31

It turns out the WNBA has a draft lottery for the 4 teams not making the playoffs. I saw a couple articles saying the Indiana Fever has the best odds of winning the lottery. But I didn't see anything saying how the lottery works. I''ll dig a bit deeper later today and see what I come up with.

Found this on the lottery but no date:

1. Lottery odds are weighted by cumulative record over the last two season
2. The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
3. The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
4. The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls
5. Playoff teams, sorted by current season record, are assigned picks 5-12 - playoff outcomes have no impact

There are several rules to meet eligibility requirements for the draft. But the one all Hawk fans want to know is will Caitlin play that extra Covid year in Iowa City?

The WNBA rules state that if a player has an extra Covid year of eligibility left but wants to give it up and enter the draft, they must submit in writing to the WNBA their desire to do so by March. The draft is April 20, shortly after the college season ends.

Latest posts