But we put players in the NFL!

I could care less how many players we put in the NFL if it doesn't translate to victories for Iowa on the field, which it has not. If we have this many NFL players on our rosters, we should be a heck of a lot better than we have been.

Agreed we don't want to be UNC in football, minus the recruiting violations/NCAA investigations.

I could care less how many players we put in the NFL if it doesn't translate to victories for Iowa on the field, which it has not. If we have this many NFL players on our rosters, we should be a heck of a lot better than we have been.

You should say "I couldn't care less" because when you say "I could care less" it implies that you actually do care because there is some degree less of caring that you could exhibit. Good luck.

Couldn't agree more. Thus the tongue-in-cheek Subject line. If anything, this data illustrates what a lousy game coach Ferentz is.

False, the dudes we put into the NFL who actually get playing time are for the most part linemen, TEs or guys who play in the secondary. Of course, there is also Shonn Greene. But it's not like the dudes we put in the League are all pro studs like JJ Watt or AJ Green or anything. We just put a lot of solid role players in the League and under Kurt we have yet to put any WR or QB into the League who has gotten any degree of material playing time. In pure numbers we have a lot of dudes in the League, but none of them are currently standouts at their positions with maybe the exception of Yanda and Greenway is pretty good (made the Pro Bowl this year) but he's well behind Ware and Matthews at his position. Given that our strength historically has been ball control and good defense and that our NFLers are not speed guys or good QBs, I think Kurt has done a decent job as a game coach other than a couple of bad losses to bad programs (which only happen once every three years or so).

That's deep man deep.

I hope the dude doesn't think I'm mean about it or anything, I just don't want him to roll into a board meeting or something like that and use the wrong phrase and then get fired as CEO or CFO of his company if the board loses confidence in him.

False, the dudes we put into the NFL who actually get playing time are for the most part linemen, TEs or guys who play in the secondary. Of course, there is also Shonn Greene. But it's not like the dudes we put in the League are all pro studs like JJ Watt or AJ Green or anything. We just put a lot of solid role players in the League and under Kurt we have yet to put any WR or QB into the League who has gotten any degree of material playing time. In pure numbers we have a lot of dudes in the League, but none of them are currently standouts at their positions with maybe the exception of Yanda and Greenway is pretty good (made the Pro Bowl this year) but he's well behind Ware and Matthews at his position. Given that our strength historically has been ball control and good defense and that our NFLers are not speed guys or good QBs, I think Kurt has done a decent job as a game coach other than a couple of bad losses to bad programs (which only happen once every three years or so).

You can't be serious. We've seen more bad clock management and "laydown" play calling from one coach... than many see in a lifetime. And as for those "occasional" losses to bad programs...take a look here.
The definition of underperformance

And there's no better example than 2010: a dropped pass from 6-6 with a load of NFL-bound players on the roster. No excuse.

And you conveniently left out defensive linemen. Ask most coaches if they could build a team around strength at OL, DL and in the DBackfield and they'll say hell yes. That's the foundation.

Last edited:
Never really understood the argument that just because a team puts guys in the NFL that they should win a bunch of games in college.

You need depth and talent across the board to win football games. You cant expect a team to go 9-3 or 10-2 every year just because they have 5 or 6 guys on the team who might make an NFL roster.

Look at the youth, inexperience and in some cases a lack of talent the Hawks had at some important positions in those so called down years.

The big thing with all this is a qb who is really a rb. Look what the Redskins did, they won some games with less talent. It may have cost RG3 a career and if not it shortened it by several years. After one season of making it to the post season. Worth it?
That fad in the NFL will never take hold. Now Wilson who is moving but only to find someone to throw to, that kind of qb, will do well. As long as they dont take to many full speed hits while outside the pocket.
Now when you think about the Redskins and what they did this year and compare them to the teams Iowa plays and what they do.........
Yeah you can win enough to keep your job with a team like that, but your never going to the show. The odds are so far against you right from the start just to get there, much less win it.
Works slightly better in college, but not much. D coaches just have to fine tune their lineups a little more. They are catching on.

Albert Young says hello, he wasn't a full time starter like Shonn Greene but was also behind AP for a few years.

You were doing SOOO well. You almost had it. And then....BAM. There it is. Ya just couldn't do it, could ya?

The big thing with all this is a qb who is really a rb. Look what the Redskins did, they won some games with less talent. It may have cost RG3 a career and if not it shortened it by several years. After one season of making it to the post season. Worth it?
That fad in the NFL will never take hold. Now Wilson who is moving but only to find someone to throw to, that kind of qb, will do well. As long as they dont take to many full speed hits while outside the pocket.
Now when you think about the Redskins and what they did this year and compare them to the teams Iowa plays and what they do.........
Yeah you can win enough to keep your job with a team like that, but your never going to the show. The odds are so far against you right from the start just to get there, much less win it.
Works slightly better in college, but not much. D coaches just have to fine tune their lineups a little more. They are catching on.

I have no idea what your point is and how it relates to this thread.

#bigsurprise

You can't be serious. We've seen more bad clock management and "laydown" play calling from one coach... than many see in a lifetime. And as for those "occasional" losses to bad programs...take a look here.
The definition of underperformance

And there's no better example than 2010: a dropped pass from 6-6 with a load of NFL-bound players on the roster. No excuse.

And you conveniently left out defensive linemen. Ask most coaches if they could build a team around strength at OL, DL and in the DBackfield and they'll say hell yes. That's the foundation.

I said linemen. Both sides of the ball, but none of the d-linemen are game changers. Roth had two sick years in college, Clayborn had one. We're not talking about dudes like Clowney here. Babs is a darn nice player in the NFL, but he's not a game changer either. When we have had a d-lineman just go nuts, we have won 10 games, but we don't just rotate out one stud d-lineman for another, we just really aren't that deep as a team (see, e.g., dropoff from 2004 to 2005 or 2009 to 2010 where Clayborn took a lot of double teams, was injured and tried to play linebacker because of our depth issues there). Our window is always slim.

Albert Young says hello, he wasn't a full time starter like Shonn Greene but was also behind AP for a few years.

Albert Young had 25 carries in the NFL and during the time he was at Iowa, we hit a bit of a rut in terms of talent surrounding him. I do believe he played a year with one Jacob Christensen as QB, for instance. A guy with 25 career NFL carries without a lot of support from his college team isn't exactly going to carry a college team on its shoulders.

Never really understood the argument that just because a team puts guys in the NFL that they should win a bunch of games in college.

You need depth and talent across the board to win football games. You cant expect a team to go 9-3 or 10-2 every year just because they have 5 or 6 guys on the team who might make an NFL roster.

Look at the youth, inexperience and in some cases a lack of talent the Hawks had at some important positions in those so called down years.

Yep. One crappy cornerback and your defense goes from awesome to suckage real quick. One crappy o-lineman and your whole offense can go from pretty good to pretty bad in an instant as the defense attacks the holes left by that dude. We really don't have the skill at every position and the going down into the two deep (it's really hard for a guy to play every snap of a season at most positions) that a lot of teams have. Not to single out Shada, but just having a guy like that on the field was good for at least 100 yards passing pretty consistently. I believe that James Hardy had something like well over 10% of his collegiate yards lined up opposite Shada. One weak link and your NFLers are rendered moot.

I have no idea what your point is and how it relates to this thread.

#bigsurprise

The system we run is much like the one that has been and will be ran for a long time in the NFL. So we will put guys in the NFL. Now teams like the Redskins, will have some short term sucess running a qb in the NFL , just like they do in college. But it is no where to hang your hat. When thought about for a few moments, it should come as no surprise that Iowa puts more people in the NFL than any college team who runs a qb . That was my point.

Latest posts