Burrito Lift or no burrito lift?

Right on. I.A. Let me take this a step further...the Hawkeye Marching Band needs an overhaul. The Band plays a key role in maintaining the energy level during timeouts and keeping things at a high pitch.

As someone who knows a bit about it, our current director is the Todd Lickliter of the Big Ten. Many former HMB members (yes, we have our alum network too) think he needs to go.

He did exactly one good/inspired thing in my five years on campus, and that was the Michael Jackson halftime show against Indiana on Halloween 2009. The band's rendition of Thriller and subsequent zombie act-out was good, and it definitely put a little life back into the crowd after that disaster of a first half.

I have pumped it up. I want to go on and pump it up. Heck I have to pump it up. So Im going to go on and pump it up.

I don't think the burrito lift has anything to do with atmosphere. It's because the stadium is full of old people.

It's full of old people because students are not buying tickets like they use to. Why they don't is up for debate.

Student attendance is dropping everywhere. Most kids now lack the attention span for football. I think moving the student section also hurt because save for Iowa getting to the Rose Bowl, I'd rather watch a game on TV than in the corner of the endzone. But even the areas other than the student section have a lot of old folks. With the "donations" needed to get most seats in the stadium, they've priced out a lot of younger fans.

More band I like too, its tradition and I love college football for the traditions/stadiums etc. Let the NFL market every single thing right down to the red zone. More replays I like. too We got all these new video boards and of course all they are for is more ads. Frustrates me like no other that I can't ever find scores of other games going on because all of our video board space is taken by ads. Shoot, even cut in to another game of interest during timeouts. Of course I would look at my phone for scores... but I can't ever get reception because the cell tower is full and no way we would actually have wifi available for the crowd.
Can we get rid of the put a smile on your face thing too?
Not a UI fault, but one thing that has killed football and basketball is the amount of TV timeouts. NCAA needs to do something to cut these, make the ads more limited and charge more or something. I'm a huge baseball fan and I get sick of people saying baseball is too slow, they obviously haven't sat through 3.5 hours of TV timeouts and halftimes lately to watch an hours worth of clock time.

More band I like too, its tradition and I love college football for the traditions/stadiums etc. Let the NFL market every single thing right down to the red zone. More replays I like. too We got all these new video boards and of course all they are for is more ads. Frustrates me like no other that I can't ever find scores of other games going on because all of our video board space is taken by ads. Shoot, even cut in to another game of interest during timeouts. Of course I would look at my phone for scores... but I can't ever get reception because the cell tower is full and no way we would actually have wifi available for the crowd.
Can we get rid of the put a smile on your face thing too?
Not a UI fault, but one thing that has killed football and basketball is the amount of TV timeouts. NCAA needs to do something to cut these, make the ads more limited and charge more or something. I'm a huge baseball fan and I get sick of people saying baseball is too slow, they obviously haven't sat through 3.5 hours of TV timeouts and halftimes lately to watch an hours worth of clock time.

The TV timeouts are absolutely infuriating. If the game is on ABC, I guess they make sense, but for games on BTN or ESPN where the subscribers are having a small fortune tacked onto their cable bills, it seems like we should be able to cut the TV timeouts down. Heck, BTN has improved bince the days of Rotel being the only advertiser, but there are still 10+ minutes of university and BTN ads on during the games. The games seem to run over the old 3 hour rule of thumb allotment quite regularly now and it is a shame because the ball is only live for maybe 10-12 minutes anyway.

Student attendance is dropping everywhere. Most kids now lack the attention span for football. I think moving the student section also hurt because save for Iowa getting to the Rose Bowl, I'd rather watch a game on TV than in the corner of the endzone. But even the areas other than the student section have a lot of old folks. With the "donations" needed to get most seats in the stadium, they've priced out a lot of younger fans.

Young kids these days are too busy snap chatting. They would rather record a concert on their phones than watch it live.

Young kids these days are too busy snap chatting. They would rather record a concert on their phones than watch it live.

What is snap chatting? In terms of concerts, you need to record it so you can prove to everyone on the Facebook that you were there and bince you were there, you are better than them.

The burrito lift is really freaking lame, as is the "put a smile on your face" promo from delta dental, as is most of the music (Bush's "Machinehead" played 30 times a game), as is the semi truck driving to kinnick and plowing over the helmet of the other team, as is the giant video boards that are almost constantly wasted on advertisements instead of replays. Also, every game now feels almost like a job for the fans...."today is a blackout, wear all black", "today we're all holding up signs to spell out how much we need farmers", "today odd sections wear gold and evens wear black", "today we're all waving pom-poms". Iowa needs to evolve to the new age and stop with all the cheese-dick promotions.

I had some Gopher friends come with me to the game at Kinnick a couple years back and they just ripped on the fan experience the whole time how it was like going back in time to the 70s. Its like every stereotype outsiders have of Iowans is magnified at our stadium during the game.

The only thing my friends and I enjoy at Kinnick outside of the actual games are the swarm coming out onto the field and the I. O. W. A after a score. Those things make sense. The forced promotions do not.

The TV timeouts are absolutely infuriating. If the game is on ABC, I guess they make sense, but for games on BTN or ESPN where the subscribers are having a small fortune tacked onto their cable bills, it seems like we should be able to cut the TV timeouts down. Heck, BTN has improved bince the days of Rotel being the only advertiser, but there are still 10+ minutes of university and BTN ads on during the games. The games seem to run over the old 3 hour rule of thumb allotment quite regularly now and it is a shame because the ball is only live for maybe 10-12 minutes anyway.

I'd say 3.5 hours is definitely the average time now. I'll be honest, I really had to talk myself in to tickets this year and this is a big reason why, along with feeling like the U is trying to nickel and dime fans for everything. If I watch at home I can still get stuff done on the honey-do-list, watch other games during all the commercials and right when its done still have some day left. And as you mentioned, I swear my cable bill goes up every month so might as well watch it on the big screen. Takes an entire day to go to a game.

The burrito lift is really freaking lame, as is the "put a smile on your face" promo from delta dental, as is most of the music (Bush's "Machinehead" played 30 times a game), as is the semi truck driving to kinnick and plowing over the helmet of the other team, as is the giant video boards that are almost constantly wasted on advertisements instead of replays. Also, every game now feels almost like a job for the fans...."today is a blackout, wear all black", "today we're all holding up signs to spell out how much we need farmers", "today odd sections wear gold and evens wear black", "today we're all waving pom-poms". Iowa needs to evolve to the new age and stop with all the cheese-dick promotions.

I had some Gopher friends come with me to the game at Kinnick a couple years back and they just ripped on the fan experience the whole time how it was like going back in time to the 70s. Its like every stereotype outsiders have of Iowans is magnified at our stadium during the game.

The only thing my friends and I enjoy at Kinnick outside of the actual games are the swarm coming out onto the field and the I. O. W. A after a score. Those things make sense. The forced promotions do not.

Gopher fans ripping on our gameday experience... smh

I had to search on this...I had not seen it until now.

[video=youtube;AydM6g1JzbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AydM6g1JzbA[/video]

Miller grew up in a small town with no burritos, I don't think he even gets the mild salsa at Taco Bell because its too intense.

Latest posts