Burrito Lift or no burrito lift?

It is more of a joke than anything else. Very lame We need to be original and create a fun game experience. Maybe make it a little more kid friendly (to an extent). And play better music. Things have become a little stale. I. O. W. a. Can only be done so many times in a game. Eliminate the burrito lift.

I cannot figure out how we have money issues as he mentions 'trying to pay the bills' alluding to we are basically broke.

I saw somewhere where we were something like #11 in the nation in highest avg ticket price for football. We seem to be in the top 20 in revenue annually. We see multiple other programs building facilities and adding onto stadiums yet we are in such desperate times that eliminating something like the burrito lift is a critical revenue stream?

In the meantime we hire another administrator from North Dakota State as an example of somehow there was money for this?

I do not get it but what I do understand is football should be allocated the most money of any sport to put out the best product possible because it is the money maker. Then the second priority is men's basketball. After this everybody takes from what is left. No more expensive rowing team facilities, etc.

Seems like a pretty straight forward and no frills way to get the crowd involved at a college football game. I don't even think the Burrito Lift needs a sponsor because it is an organic tradition invented by fans. If anything, sponsorship cheapens the prestige of the Burrito Lift.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYyxogRXdpM

The Burrito Lift has no prestige. It's beyond stupid, and hardly anyone outside the student section does it anymore. The idea of the Burrito Lift is just fine, but it's old and tired. Find something new!

I personally can't stand that burrito lift. I do know one thing, ticket sales will always be slow with the non conference schedule we have. Drop ISU, never play UNI again. That leaves two spots to add something worth while. I don't think we need to schedule the top of the crop, but come on.

I personally can't stand that burrito lift. I do know one thing, ticket sales will always be slow with the non conference schedule we have. Drop ISU, never play UNI again. That leaves two spots to add something worth while. I don't think we need to schedule the top of the crop, but come on.

Dropping ISU doesn't do anything to help the current revenue stream. That game is definitely a huge draw for the athletic department, even when ISU isn't any good, simply because they're our only in-state rival. UNI isn't a rival, and dropping them would make a lot more sense (especially since they're an FBS school).

Definitely would rather see the Ball States, Western Michigans, etc. get dropped from the schedule. Hell, even keep ISU and UNI while actually getting out and playing someone with a pulse in the other two non-conference games.

Face it: what's needed is a wet t-shirt contest. Awards for "Most Creative" shirt and, "Most Durable" shirt. Other category awards "as needed"...

Lots of people say it sucks, but Barta is right that a lot of the crowd does it.

Maybe the problem with the gameday experience is that people complain about everything. EVERYTHING. The nattering naboobs of negativity are chasing away the fans.

Lots of people say it sucks, but Barta is right that a lot of the crowd does it.

Maybe the problem with the gameday experience is that people complain about everything. EVERYTHING. The nattering naboobs of negativity are chasing away the fans.

A lot of the students do it. Others might do it simply because it's there. But I guarantee that if they just stopped doing it altogether (and didn't try some substitute like they did a while back), 90% or more of the people upset about it will be students. Most people wouldn't think twice about it if it were no longer a thing. Because it's ridiculously lame.

I would rather listen to the marching band play some good music and see hilites of past games during timeouts rather than the burrito lift or the delta dental smile thing.

I've said it before and now again, it is a football stadium, play some good music, have the cheerleaders and dance squad go around to different parts of the stadium, show some great replays to where the fans know the replays are coming, like KMM's diving grab at mich st in 2012, hilites from Fry's teams, and Bank's to Clark against purdue.

When fans are deliriously happy with what is going on on the field, just about any silly thing is delightful, including lame games.

I would rather listen to the marching band play some good music and see hilites of past games during timeouts rather than the burrito lift or the delta dental smile thing.

I've said it before and now again, it is a football stadium, play some good music, have the cheerleaders and dance squad go around to different parts of the stadium, show some great replays to where the fans know the replays are coming, like KMM's diving grab at mich st in 2012, hilites from Fry's teams, and Bank's to Clark against purdue.

winning.

when i go to a game at kinnick, the last freaking thing i want to see/hear is some stupid gimmick like a 'burrito lift'.

get the band involved for goodness sakes. this is college football, not the des moines buccaneers!

i, too, like the idea of showing highlights.

no need to reinvent the wheel - i almost think they are trying too hard.

winning.

when i go to a game at kinnick, the last freaking thing i want to see/hear is some stupid gimmick like a 'burrito lift'.

get the band involved for goodness sakes. this is college football, not the des moines buccaneers!

i, too, like the idea of showing highlights.

no need to reinvent the wheel - i almost think they are trying too hard.

Right on. I.A. Let me take this a step further...the Hawkeye Marching Band needs an overhaul. The Band plays a key role in maintaining the energy level during timeouts and keeping things at a high pitch.

As someone who knows a bit about it, our current director is the Todd Lickliter of the Big Ten. Many former HMB members (yes, we have our alum network too) think he needs to go.

Right on. I.A. Let me take this a step further...the Hawkeye Marching Band needs an overhaul. The Band plays a key role in maintaining the energy level during timeouts and keeping things at a high pitch.

As someone who knows a bit about it, our current director is the Todd Lickliter of the Big Ten. Many former HMB members (yes, we have our alum network too) think he needs to go.

He's did exactly one good/inspired thing in my five years on campus, and that was the Michael Jackson halftime show against Indiana on Halloween 2009. The band's rendition of Thriller and subsequent zombie act-out was good, and it definitely put a little life back into the crowd after that disaster of a first half.

Latest posts