Burning Redshirts with 4 Games Left

iahawk72

Here is a question to ponder. Hypothetically speaking, let's say that Robinson is on the shelf for at least 2 weeks if not more. Brandon Wegher is banged up, which I believe to be the case and Brinson is still not healthy enough.

If you are the Iowa coaching staff do you give serious consideration to pressing Brad Rogers into spot duty in the event that Wegher is not able to go at some point in the coming weeks?

With 2 Running Back commits for next year including a Rogers-esque back in Corker, does it give Iowa the luxury of burning his redshirt for 4 games with the option of using next year or a future year to redshirt? If Rogers were to play this year, you would have 4 sophomore running backs next year with 3 of them having seen significant playing time in Hampton, Robinson and Hampton.

I know that Rogers made his first roadtrip of the season to East Lansing last week and one has to believe that it wasn't just for experiencing the atmosphere but that he is a contigency plan at this point.

Iowa pressed Mike Jones into mid to late-season duty as a true freshman a few years back out of necessity. Do they do the same with Rogers?

Last edited:
That is a great question...I'm anxious for the 2-deeps to be listed today. I can't believe that we started off with SO much depth at RB and now we are talking about this. It reminds me of the injury bug with the WR's from a couple years ago. Ugh.

I don't think so. Think he would fall into the Brownlee category, which means he wouldn't be used unless ALL other options have been spent. As long as O'meara is there, he should and i think would get the snaps. would probably see a lot more brett morse in the game on passing situations, o'meara on 1st and 2nd downs. i don't think there is any way wegher don't play personally, and we'll wait and see on arob. Think this will be a non issue on saturday, but we'll see.

I don't think so. Think he would fall into the Brownlee category, which means he wouldn't be used unless ALL other options have been spent. As long as O'meara is there, he should and i think would get the snaps. would probably see a lot more brett morse in the game on passing situations, o'meara on 1st and 2nd downs. i don't think there is any way wegher don't play personally, and we'll wait and see on arob. Think this will be a non issue on saturday, but we'll see.

I agree with this statement. We'll see plenty of o'meara spelling BW the next few weeks. I don't think the coaches will burn a redshirt of Rogers or Josh Brown(wasn't he working at RB this spring???) unless they absolutely have to....

That is a great question...I'm anxious for the 2-deeps to be listed today. I can't believe that we started off with SO much depth at RB and now we are talking about this. It reminds me of the injury bug with the WR's from a couple years ago. Ugh.

The two deeps will tell you NOTHING. We all know that the Monday two-deeps need not bear any resemblance what so ever to what will actually happen on Saturday in KFs mind. He is the KING of letting as little game relevent info escape Ft. Kinnick as he possibly can. Why would he tip something that useful to the opposing coach if he didn't absolutely have to. Unless it is blatantly obvious, like seeing Adam Robinson hobbling around campus with a cast and crutches all week, he will hold his cards as close to the vest as he can.

If it needs to happen and the kid is ready there is no doubt the right decision is to play him.....it would be foolish to play a kid we know isn't ready....right now it's full steam ahead and all hands on deck...we need to win one football game and that is Indy.....you go out and do what you do and worry about this year this year....if the kid is ready he'd tell u the same thing and would do anything to help this football team...if he wouldn't, you don't want him around anyway....I'm not referring to anyone specific..just teamwork...Chad Zapitol Iowa national finalist in wrestling had a great Gable qoute.....he said, Committment is doing what you consented to do even it means dealing with unforseen sacrifices."......i think that's fitting...Go Hawks!

2 Deep will say Wegher/O'Meara...

Rogers has to be 3rd on the depth chart...and they will have to burn his shirt if Wegher goes down.

We have good backs coming in every year, I would not be afraid to burn it.

Brinson must not be healthy, i was thining it would have been nice to see him in on the goal line plays to pound out that 1 and 2 yards needed.

I assume that the decision is at least partially Rogers to make. Look at it from his standpoint. Neither Robinson nor Wegher may be healthy going into potentially the biggest game in Iowa history versus Ohio State. The kid, Rogers, could easily be the Hawkeye hero in Columbus, on national television in his own home state. And, if we win that game, he could potentially get some carries in a national championship game. I would shocked if the kid isn't begging Ferentz to let him play at this point.

(And, if we think there is any chance at all that we may need him to carry the ball some in Columbus, they need to burn his redshirt now and get him as many carries as we can the next two weeks.)

I assume that the decision is at least partially Rogers to make. Look at it from his standpoint. Neither Robinson nor Wegher may be healthy going into potentially the biggest game in Iowa history versus Ohio State. The kid, Rogers, could easily be the Hawkeye hero in Columbus, on national television in his own home state. And, if we win that game, he could potentially get some carries in a national championship game. I would shocked if the kid isn't begging Ferentz to let him play at this point.

(And, if we think there is any chance at all that we may need him to carry the ball some in Columbus, they need to burn his redshirt now and get him as many carries as we can the next two weeks.)

+1

Couple of things.

1. Above I said that if Iowa pulled the redshirt on Brad Rogers that they would have 4 sophomore RBs next year. The number would actually be 5. I had forgot about Jeff Brinson. Hampton, Brinson, Wegher, Robinson, ?????

2. I know I have been focused on Brad Rogers being the next RB in but Josh Brown was getting work with the RBs during fall camp. I went back to watch video on both and while Brown may not have the size that Rogers has he might be more of a Fred Russell/Damian Sims scat-back type. Could he have a shot at playing time as opposed to Rogers?

http://gohawks.com

Under Hawkeye Family, select The Class of 2009
You can watch highlight videos of both Rogers and Brown.

iahawk72

I would think they would play Paki and/or a walk-on before they would burn Rodgers Redshirt.

Your playing for all the marbles now my friends......IOWA is in uncharted waters - If Rogers is a better RB than Paki (& IMO - He has to be).......you as a coaching staff DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to play for all those marbles!!!!

PERIOD!

Your playing for all the marbles now my friends......IOWA is in uncharted waters - If Rogers is a better RB than Paki (& IMO - He has to be).......you as a coaching staff DO WHATEVER IT TAKES to play for all those marbles!!!!

PERIOD!

AGREED. If Paki was a capable back you would not have seen the staff abandon him as quickly as they did in the UNI game and thereafter. Not this staff.

iahawk72

i personnally think paki is absolutely dying for his chance to redeem himself, and given the circumstances, i think i at least give him some carries to spell wegher in the 1st half. One thing would be for sure. hed have a very short leash, and he knows that. i think a person responds differently when they know they've been given a second chance, and paki is a local kid, playing two games here in IC with the implications that these games have. I'm sure he'll relish the oppurtunity. I say wegher, wegher, wegher, maybe a few plays here and there for paki and we roll the dice.

Latest posts