Bullock?

rdemp4hawks hit on a number of the basics there. A few of the main things that I think that Coker could use to get down are ... run behind the pads, lower the pad level (i.e. run lower), and keep the pads square (again, related to pad level).

Also, more recently I've noticed that Coker hasn't be driving his legs quite as much. I don't know why that's so ... maybe it's linked to him being dinged or something.

The guys needs to stop thinking, make a decision, and live with it. I would love to see him just cut and go and hit whatever he finds as hard as he can and drive forward. This stop, pitter-patter, and cut stuff isn't working. Hes been tracked down by the weakside linebacker several times, especially against ISU and Pitt. Just get up the field already.

IMO it's not that people are writing Coker off and looking for ways to replace him, but rather the fact that up until now no other backs are seeing many (if any) true reps at all. Yes, Coker is our first string back, however there is no way to guage what the back ups are capable of if they aren't given the opportunity. There's obviously a concern that the amount of carries he's getting per game is an alarming number that could catch up with him later in the season and the carries need to be shared.
IMO McCall would have been receiving those extra carries and for all we know traded places with him on the depth chart, but the fact remains Coker needs help and whether Bullock is that guy remains a mystery because we've only seen a glimpse of anyone other than Coker.

In response to the original post. What I thought I heard was something to the extent that Coker's shouldered a lot of the load so far and that they wanted rest him up a bit this weekend to give some other guys some reps.

How about a game plan that stresses 50-75% passing in the first half. Get a lead then let the horse Coker pound a tired defense?

I'm not all surprised Coker is dinged up. He runs to contact almost seeking it, I'm not saying alter his style, because he should be a physical back, but try to avoid the tacklers with a bit more wiggle(not dancing), cuz he would def run through arm tackles vs trying to put the other guy flat on the ground.

Enginerd = "How about a game plan that stresses 50-75% passing in the first half. Get a lead then let the horse Coker pound a tired defense?"

Whoa slow down there buddy you're making wayyyy too much sense. If only it was that easy... wait a second, it is!

This is such an easy adjustment but it's painful for me to think about the way our coaching staff may handle it. Coker has talent and potential. He can't live up to it when our offensive playcalling is entirely too predictable. If the defense knows we are gonna run on first down then they are gonna shove everyone they can in the box. For some reason, it took our coaching staff almost an entire 3 quarters to figure out they needed to start opening it up and passing on first down. I can't count how many times we were facing 2nd and 8's or 3rd and 8's. You can't run a productive offense when you're constantly setting yourself up with 3rd and long situations.

Hopefully, the coaches realize they are allowed to open it up in the first half as well. You would think watching the way Vandy controlled the offense in the 4th quarter would help convince them about what needs to be done to increase productivity. IMO, opening things up early and more often would completely solve this discussion. Coker's numbers would skyrocket and the W's would start rolling in. The problem is I'm not 100% confident our coaches will open it up (before the score indicates they need to).

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone acting like Bullock is a season away from the Doak Walker Award.

This. We just want to see if someone else could give this running game a little spark. Coker made a few runs last week that went for 5-7 that could have been 15-20 had he made one person miss/ran through said person.

bullock.jpg

ICHawk24 show some class, this is not the time or place for that comment.

Coker will be fine, did you honestly expect the bowl game performance every game out? He is clearly over thinking it right now by what I have seen so far this season. For as much as he has (struggled), he is 5th in the conference in rushing behind 3 quarterbacks who are 75% of there respective teams offenses and a Wisconsin back.

Cut him some slack, he has almost the same amount of starting time as Vandenberg and he gets the benefit of the doubt because of his experience level. Kirk is usually apprehensive with players who lack experience

The mot popular player on the team is always the backup ... :) ... Will be nice to see Bullock get some carries but hope Coker is able to go ...

ICHawk24 show some class, this is not the time or place for that comment.

Coker will be fine, did you honestly expect the bowl game performance every game out? He is clearly over thinking it right now by what I have seen so far this season. For as much as he has (struggled), he is 5th in the conference in rushing behind 3 quarterbacks who are 75% of there respective teams offenses and a Wisconsin back.

Cut him some slack, he has almost the same amount of starting time as Vandenberg and he gets the benefit of the doubt because of his experience level. Kirk is usually apprehensive with players who lack experience
I don't care about total yards, it's ypc that matters most.

**** off IChawk24. good god between yours and vin's comment in the off topic forum it really is a reminder how many sh!t holes are in this country. no wonder every one hates us jacka$$

The guys needs to stop thinking, make a decision, and live with it. I would love to see him just cut and go and hit whatever he finds as hard as he can and drive forward. This stop, pitter-patter, and cut stuff isn't working. Hes been tracked down by the weakside linebacker several times, especially against ISU and Pitt. Just get up the field already.

+1. I noticed the same re this year's running style, which is what I find so dumbfounding. I don't understand changing your running style so much. And I understand he may be dinged and trying to refine his skills, but to what extent that he significantly alters what last year appeared to be his natural style? If he's worried about taking hits, the last thing he should do is slow down and try to avoid them - he's not a scatback type that is going to juke many defenders. Last year he planted his foot, made a cut and got N and S. He ran a bit high and not always behind his pads, but he planted his foot and got upfield. He's not doing near as much of that this year, and that's what's so confusing.

Also, I don't think calling for more passing is sufficient - it's the route combos that manipulate defenses. Part of the reason the O was so successful late last wk is b/c they finally challenged teams vertically. You can throw all day, but if you don't run route combos at different levels, particularly in the middle of the field, you don't dictate to defenses as much. Said another way, always running short routes will still allow defenders to creep up and challenge the LoS, both in passing and running plays.

I don't care about total yards, it's ypc that matters most.

You make it sound like he's averaging 2 yards a carry or something? 4 yards a carry(3.9) is respectable, could and should be higher but the season isn't over yet. Defenses are game planning for him, if Vandenberg lights up LM this weekend I bet his ypc start climbing as the season progresses. Once the hesitation is gone, he will be fine.

Latest posts