Bulaga/Spievey or DJK

Wait a minute. Is this Candid Camera? Or just the winner of the "Start-the-Stupidest-Thread-Ever" award (which, of course, must be hyphenated)?

You sir, are WAY off-base on this post. Leaving early is THE GOAL of many players, most certainly almost all of the best one.

Rolling a million dollar die on getting killed or injured for free is a bullsh*t thing to ask a young adult to do. Especially when they have bleed black and gold to begin with.

The OP needs to put down the bong. It is clouding his judgment. He sees DJK's drug use as a link between himself and a popular college athlete.

If a player is almost good enough to make it in the pros, but won't get in without an extra year to improve, should he transfer to a different school before his senior year, allowing him to sit out a year, train, and get another year to make something happen?

I don't think it's that ridiculous of a thought. Clayborn's mom needed the money too, but he stayed.

Clayborn also took out an insurance policy, I don't think Spievey would have. You have to be projected in like the first round or maybe 2nd. he woudln't have been. Clayborn's mom moved to Iowa City. They're fine.

I don't think Bulaga and Spievey let the team down. I do think they are in way over their heads in the NFL.

Both have made position changes already. Spievey to safety and Bulaga began at LT, couldn't beat out an injury riddled 34 year old, moved to LG, couldn't beat a borderline NFL player, then moved to RT to fill in for an injured player. He has been abused most of the season. Particularly against Washington, Miami, & DET.

#1 This thread is BS, but I had an issue with this synopsis of Bulaga and Spievey. The Lions have a poor secondary and they need playmakers to be on the field. They have 1 good safety (Delmas) and then no one. Spievey has 46 tackles, 1 INT, and really has only been playing since their bye in week 7. The Lions liked what they saw in practice and switched him to safety to get him in the game more and plug a hole they had.

I'm a Packer fan so I can speak more about Bulaga. He was supposed to be the backup LT this year, that was the message all along from McCarthy when he was drafted to camp to preseason. Injuries forced the Packers to switch him to guard to cover there, then Tauscher going down forced him to RT. He hasn't failed, his original positions starter just hasn't gotten hurt yet. Has Bulaga got taken advantage of, you bet, comes with learning a new position and the much higher skill set he's going against. Who in the Big Ten could prepare a rookie for all the elite passrushers in the NFC North?

That being said, they are rookies and are not #1 picks so obviously have growing to do. Plus, as you pointed out they are playing different positions than they've played in the past so some mistakes and learning is going to have to take place.

#1 This thread is BS, but I had an issue with this synopsis of Bulaga and Spievey. The Lions have a poor secondary and they need playmakers to be on the field. They have 1 good safety (Delmas) and then no one. Spievey has 46 tackles, 1 INT, and really has only been playing since their bye in week 7. The Lions liked what they saw in practice and switched him to safety to get him in the game more and plug a hole they had.

I'm a Packer fan so I can speak more about Bulaga. He was supposed to be the backup LT this year, that was the message all along from McCarthy when he was drafted to camp to preseason. Injuries forced the Packers to switch him to guard to cover there, then Tauscher going down forced him to RT. He hasn't failed, his original positions starter just hasn't gotten hurt yet. Has Bulaga got taken advantage of, you bet, comes with learning a new position and the much higher skill set he's going against. Who in the Big Ten could prepare a rookie for all the elite passrushers in the NFC North?

That being said, they are rookies and are not #1 picks so obviously have growing to do. Plus, as you pointed out they are playing different positions than they've played in the past so some mistakes and learning is going to have to take place.

Slight disagreement on Spievey. I've thought all along that he would end up at safety in the NFL. He's just not fluid enough in his hips to play corner at the NFL level (a lot like Charles Godfrey in that regard). However, that wasn't going to change by staying in school another year. You're either born with hips like that, or you're not. And most taller corners (6'0" or taller) aren't born with them. Which is why the VAST majority of NFL corners are between 5'10" and 6'0".

Of all the dumb threads that have been on here the past week or so, this just may be the dumbest.

Good work sir.

At least Spievey and Bulaga gave Iowa how many months to prepare to replace them. Not to mention what they did didn't give negative press towards the team.

DJK gave a month and only misses one game because of the time he was busted. If this happens before the Arizona game how p*ssed is everyone at DJK?

I'm not blaming them. I understand why a player would go pro early. If you look at the facts and results, they let down their fellow players more than DJK did.

Thus far, I have only read your posts from the first page of this thread. It leads to one question: are/were you smoking/snorting/popping some of the same stuff as DJK?!

I am not saying that DJK did not drastically let his team down. He screwed up big time. I think Bulaga and Spievey has a BIGGER impact on the program. Recruiting and Iowa's public image would look a lot better if we had 11 or 12 wins this year.

That's interesting. One of the CBs DET used this week against GB was a street FA. The play by play guys talked about it often. So basically Spievey was passed over at the CB position by a street FA. A guy who couldn't even make a roster to begin the NFL season.

If you're a GB fan you should know that Bulaga is in way over his head right now. He couldn't displace Chad Clifton who is barely hanging on right now. Clifton got killed against DET. Darren College, a guy who is not expected to be brought back next year because he is so poor at run blocking beat out Bulaga at LG in pre-season camp.

In Washington he gave up a sack that is believed to have caused Aaron Rodgers concussion. Its hard to say for sure because Rodgers stayed in for another play.

Clay Matthew was picked about the same spot as Bulaga in the 1st round and hit the ground running for GB. He is now their best defensive player.

He may be okay down the line but two guys barely hanging on to NFL careers beat him out in pre-season camp at two different positions on the left side and he's getting beaten every game badly. People refer to Gallery as a bust at LT. Bulaga is following pretty much the same path.

Spievey was going to move to safety regardless. He's a much better fit in that position, and that wasn't going to change by staying here.

Gallery got beat a lot early in his career too. Now he's a VERY good player, just not where he was projected to be. This was going to happen to Bulaga, too. Staying wasn't going to make that much difference for him, and he was projected as a first round pick. He should have gone.

Yeah, it was a good idea for them to go when they did. I was mad at the time, but they made the right choice. They're both getting paid a lot of money.

I just don't think either one is playing very well right now, particularly Bulaga.

I feel like Bulaga and Spievey let down their team more than DJK did. DJK obviously blew his Senior bowl game, but at least he played 12 games his Senior year and substantially contributed.

There has just been a lot of talk about how we wasted time and money on players who do drugs, but the ones who choose the NFL money seem to have a larger impact.

I think people are missing the intent of the OP. Players leaving for the NFL is part of the system, and it's not necessarily the wrong thing to do, but it certainly hurts Iowa's program.

I am not saying that DJK did not drastically let his team down. He screwed up big time. I think Bulaga and Spievey has a BIGGER impact on the program. Recruiting and Iowa's public image would look a lot better if we had 11 or 12 wins this year.

HaydensUncle, I agree that 11 wins would be better for Kirk's program than 7 and they probably would have been closer to it if Bulaga & Spievey were still on the team. DJK made some very poor choices, as we all did in college, but he didn't hurt the team's record (except maybe the bowl game, we'll see). However, the recent news must be pretty demoralizing for the team. I'm not at all justifying DJK's action, I just hope your point is that in ten years, this is a forgettable blip and we'll be remembering the B1G season win and the great games more than the arrests from each year.

Last edited:
I feel like Bulaga and Spievey let down their team more than DJK did. DJK obviously blew his Senior bowl game, but at least he played 12 games his Senior year and substantially contributed.

There has just been a lot of talk about how we wasted time and money on players who do drugs, but the ones who choose the NFL money seem to have a larger impact.

And I thought ISU fans were twisted.

Latest posts