BTN dissing IA/Penn St as No storyline!

ColoradoHAWKEYE

Did anyone catch that on the commentary show Big Ten and Beyond with Dinardio and Company. They have unanimously relegated our game as "mundane with no real storyline" since we have a loss and Penn St is not in Top 10. I'm not saying there are no other big/good match-ups this Sat., but if we can't get any love from our own "Big Ten" guys, and a PSU/UofI nightgame is the fourth best match-up in the conference this weekend, then how is the rest of the country supposed to care? Am I missing something here, or am I just too biased?

Did anyone catch that on the commentary show Big Ten and Beyond with Dinardio and Company. They have unanimously relegated our game as "mundane with no real storyline" since we have a loss and Penn St is not in Top 10. I'm not saying there are no other big/good match-ups this Sat., but if we can't get any love from our own "Big Ten" guys, and a PSU/UofI nightgame is the fourth best match-up in the conference this weekend, then how is the rest of the country supposed to care? Am I missing something here, or am I just too biased?

Well there isn't really a storyline. Penn State, while still ranked, is viewed as a 7-5/8-4 team now. We have a loss, which takes away the only draw this game had (undefeated national title contender). Meanwhile you have Michigan State vs. Wisconsin, which is certainly the highlight game this week. Michigan and Indiana should be interesting as well, thanks to the high-flying offenses and the revenge factor for the Hoosiers. We might be #3, but it's a pretty blah matchup as far as pregame hype goes. If Penn State were a top 10 team, looking for revenge (again) it would be a big deal. But this time they are an overmatched team looking for revenge.

I suppose, and I certainly understand, but I'm thinking they are basically giving us the W. Maybe I shouldn't be as nervous for the Hawks.
the game just seemed to be an afterthought, but I guess as someone had said weeks ago... "it's not the TV households in Iowa that the BTN is panning to". Heck, ESPN is not even talking the game up.

It is a survival game. The loser is not in good shape. The winner survives To play another day. Also, the loser is probably 9-3 at best.

Take it to heart. It really is something when Iowa playing PSU is just not that big a deal for Iowa. Really just a respectable B10 foe to provide a measuring stick if the team's development and that is about it.

I didn't have a problem with anything they said about it. I DID have a problem with other segments where they were essentially giving the Big 10 title to Ohio State.

I thought Teddy's rationale for Michigan State having the more difficult schedule going forward compared to Wisconsin was asinine.

I didn't have a problem with anything they said about it. I DID have a problem with other segments where they were essentially giving the Big 10 title to Ohio State.

I thought Teddy's rationale for Michigan State having the more difficult schedule going forward compared to Wisconsin was asinine.

I love the fact that everyone in the media is basically penciling tOSU into the Big Ten title. I always think we play better as an underdog and I love that any media is writing this game off as no "storyline". The goal for me, maybe I'm in the minority is always the Rose Bowl- anything beyond that is a bonus.

I don't get it really. We lost on the road to AZ and not because they overmatched us but because we made some mistakes on special teams, and now everybody has pretty much written us off. I think we're going to do some damage in conference play, and it all starts Saturday night with PSU.

Exact quote was game has no sizzle not sure about that two ranked teams playing in prime time never will be a blah game in my mind should be a great game for sure. Think will be another great PSU and Iowa game.

Exact quote was game has no sizzle not sure about that two ranked teams playing in prime time never will be a blah game in my mind should be a great game for sure. Think will be another great PSU and Iowa game.

I though all the guys on the BTN were suppose to be schills for the conference. They should be pumping this game up instead of knocking it down. That's the kind of stuff I expect to hear from ESPN not the BTN.

I think it had more to do with what they thought of Penn State, not Iowa. I think they said something along the lines of Penn State possibly being a bottom half of the Big Ten team.

The media looks for a "storyline", not necessarily a good football game. Last year, the storyline was "PSU hosting a whiteout for revenge!". Now the story is "somewhat off-their-game PSU stumbles into Kinnick looking to break 1-7 streak against Iowa".

Of course the game doesn't have any sizzle, it's Ferentz vs. Joe Pa, the two most snoozeworthy coaches in the conference. Neither coach is an attention seeker, DJK is being quiet this year, and neither team is undefeated. Wisconsin vs MSU has the D'Antonio storyline along with Bielema being a prima donna attention seeker. Michigan vs IU has Rich Rod the AW along with shoelaces, to go with IU being undefeated. Neither Iowa or PSU is flashy, which is just fine by me.

To anybody that watches the game it will be a good game played by two well coached teams that execute very well. I personally can't wait.

We beat them the last two years, when they were "hyped."

Why would it bring "sizzle?" We already know what's happening, history always repeats it self ;)

Coach Mason wants everyone to know he had no part in this one...not kidding...he asked me twice in five minutes if I came back here to defend him...he is really funny. He was just telling me a story about his call in show at Minnesota. The Sid Hartman show...I doubled over laughing a few times

Didn't they also say that it was a less attractive game on a national level due to some of the other match-ups at the same time.

I get that.

I don't get anyone not thinking our d-line, just by itself, doesn't generate enough sizzle to make a vegetarian question their choices!

Go Hawks!

this game is a under the radar complete trap game for us. on paper we win 10 out of 10, then again on paper we should have won in AZ too.

Last edited:

Latest posts