BT vs Pac 12 starting in 2017

The thing is whether the game is in Kinnick or Ames the big point is the money stays within the state. I think it will be hard for the regeants to not schedule that game. I think it is good for the state of Iowa to have them playing. Why schedule a cupcake at home and possibly have to shell out a close to a million bucks to have them take it back to their school. That doesn't make any sense either. I think ISU stays regardless.
Hate the ISU game, always have, hope it goes!

I could see them using a format similar to the ACC/Big Ten challenge, where one team alternates home/away every year and is matched up with a team from the other conference close in wins/the standings.

so Iowa is the road team 75% of the time. I'm not in favor of that.

Maybe, maybe not. I could see them using a format similar to the ACC/Big Ten challenge, where one team alternates home/away every year and is matched up with a team from the other conference close in wins/the standings.

I'd be surprised by this format in football due to the fact that one loss often eliminates a team from national championship contender status - where as in basketball you just need to make the dance and everyone has a few losses. Similar to the Texas/Ohio State home and away series a couple of years ago in football. It was great to be able to watch that game early in the season, without a personal interest, but essentially the loser was on the outside looking in for any title contender status.

If the B1G/PAC rotates teams and home and away, this will happen from time to time, but I don't think the conferences would want to eliminate a team from either conference so early in the year - each and every year. It would also create the possibility for a Rose Bowl rematch more often. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but most likely not a good thing very often.

The football games will likely be on ABC/ESPN. The other sports and any other football games will be within the TV rights of the home team, as with all their other games.

OR Fox.

Don't think for a second that this agreement won't have an effect on the Big Ten's TV deal that's coming up either. Looks to me the top match ups each year will be on ESPN/ABC or FOX and the other games on BTN or Pac 12 network.

This is very much a big deal for both the Pac12 and Big10 and great for every school involved.

Don't think for a second that this agreement won't have an effect on the Big Ten's TV deal that's coming up either. Looks to me the top match ups each year will be on ESPN/ABC or FOX and the other games on BTN or Pac 12 network.

Good point. This deal could be a big impact on the B10 network re-negotiations in 2015ish. Fox already owns the rights to the B10 and P12 title games. ESPN and Fox fighting over the B10 would be great, although I'd ultimately like to see the B10 re-sign with ESPN, otherwise the anti-B10 coverage by ESPN will get really ridiculous.

I don't think you can eliminate them. Games in September in AZ almost have to be played at night. Otherwise you have kids playing football under a scorching hot sun with temps in the high 90's.

And it goes both ways. If you live in Arizona or California, how much would an 11 AM Iowa time game kickoff stink? That makes it 9 am there.

Not really looking forward to playing in Oregon would be fun to see them come to Iowa City. Could you imagine USC in IC. Could be in the future.

Oregon came to Iowa in 1989 and hammered the hawks 44-6(Tom Poholsky was god awful that day and got benched for Matt Rodgers). Iowa returned the trip to Eugene in 93 and got hammered again out there.

An Iowa game with P12 is going to bring is a lot more money than a home and home with Isu. Isu can then schedule a home game with another school and try to get that game on tv.

That scenario would net more money for the state in the long run.

An Iowa game with P12 is going to bring is a lot more money than a home and home with Isu. Isu can then schedule a home game with another school and try to get that game on tv.

That scenario would net more money for the state in the long run.

I'd be surprised by this format in football due to the fact that one loss often eliminates a team from national championship contender status - where as in basketball you just need to make the dance and everyone has a few losses. Similar to the Texas/Ohio State home and away series a couple of years ago in football. It was great to be able to watch that game early in the season, without a personal interest, but essentially the loser was on the outside looking in for any title contender status.

If the B1G/PAC rotates teams and home and away, this will happen from time to time, but I don't think the conferences would want to eliminate a team from either conference so early in the year - each and every year. It would also create the possibility for a Rose Bowl rematch more often. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but most likely not a good thing very often.
I think it's quite clear that Delaney isn't too concerned with the Big 10 winning NC's; it's all about earning the most money possible.

This will be a great opportunity for the Hawkeyes to develop west coast recruiting ties. Regardless if KF is still the coach or not(I expect if he isn't it's because he's retired).

California produces more sheer numbers of D.1A players than any other state. Love to cherry pick one or more, "four star" or recruits of similar quality from Cali every class.

Any reason the schools in these conferences have to NOT schedule any more embarrassing (and completely bull***) cupcake games is good enough for me. This is going to be really cool and fun, year in and year out. As long as they do some sort of competitive matchups every year. I'm talking like Iowa vs Utah next year as both teams went 7-5 (4-4) this year.

Actually so pumped on this.

This will be a great opportunity for the Hawkeyes to develop west coast recruiting ties. Regardless if KF is still the coach or not(I expect if he isn't it's because he's retired).

California produces more sheer numbers of D.1A players than any other state. Love to cherry pick one or more, "four star" or recruits of similar quality from Cali every class.
One game per year against random Pac12 team is going to make California kid want to come to Iowa? Okay.

I don't think you can eliminate them. Games in September in AZ almost have to be played at night. Otherwise you have kids playing football under a scorching hot sun with temps in the high 90's.

Anything starting after 9pm CST is ridiculous. The heat is dry and both teams have to play in the same conditions, but the 2 hour time change plays havoc with the biological clock.

I would suggest playing any Zona games as week one games, which would give the visitors time to adjust their clocks and thermometers. Either that, or force them to play that game in Glendale under the closed roof at a reasonable time.

And it goes both ways. If you live in Arizona or California, how much would an 11 AM Iowa time game kickoff stink? That makes it 9 am there.

Having lived on the West Coast I can tell you that it's just something you're used to dealing with whether it's CFB, NFL or other prime time events. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

One game per year against random Pac12 team is going to make California kid want to come to Iowa? Okay.

People use this argument for playing bowl games in Texas or Florida, so...

It helps. Not to the level that some think it will or does but it is part of the puzzle.

No, Iowa or any other Big Ten school isn't going to start pulling multiple kids out of CA but it will help with a guy here or there. There have been plenty of recruits that have said they like the fact they will play one or a couple games close to their home.

Getting the BTN into the Pac12 footprint would also be huge, more exposure will help get kids to look at a school they wouldn't have before.

Again it isn't a huge deal but it would help.

Latest posts